Call for help - please tweet Fox for response on derogatory language (Brooklyn 99)

TiaTitan

My family recently got me in to Brooklyn 99 and I (as well as my family) was shocked when in Season 2 Episode 18 a character insults another for being an:

'asexual nerd who can only make friends with service animals'

As there are ace-spec people in the family, it made the show feel less family friendly, and I tweeted Brooklyn 99 as well as Fox asking what prompted the writing of the line, as well as if said attitude will persist in the next season(s).

Despite multiple attempts to reach out to them the last couple of months I've yet to hear back. If others are willing to tweet/email/etc for a response, I would be very appreciative. I hope I'm not the only one who feels disturbed by the derogatory language used towards this community - not to mention the fact that it only serves to create and support negative sterotypes and attitudes towards the community as well.

• 1 month later...

It's Fox, this isn't the first time, they're just not very considerate.

And at times, not very professional.

• 2 weeks later...

wow..... that was.... incredibly unproffesional

Comrade F&F

Don't bother getting upset at those. They're just ignorant people pulling words out of their behinds. They want publicity, so they'll spout nonsense without solid debate.

It's frustrating and really sad, because people actually watch it. But calling for a twitter storm won't help awareness in the way we need.

Philip027

I've seen this show once (no clue which episode), and concluded that it wasn't entertaining.  I don't understand the appeal of sitcoms nowadays that try to present themselves as "real" shows; they usually just end up failing at both for me.

I also wouldn't take anything mentioned on a sitcom that seriously; loads of things tend to get exaggerated for (attempted) comic relief.

Siimo van der fietspad

I'm glad my black ring is on the middle finger of my right hand. In the UK raising it is exactly the right gesture towards cruel TV trash that serves cheap gags to an ignorant public. Do you think if they substituted 'asexual' for 'gay' or 'muslim' it might not have made it onto the telly?

On 28/04/2017 at 8:33 AM, TopHatCat said:

It's Fox, this isn't the first time, they're just not very considerate.

And at times, not very professional.

It seemed so promising when the first person said "I totally buy it- I think asexuality has been around for a very long time!" I thought she was going to be the pro-LGBT+ protagonist in the discussion and make all the others seem like the unaccepting idiots they were...but then, then she continued. If Fox doesn't believe asexuality exists, well, then I'm struggling to believe how they still exist, too.

Archived