being called a plant?

LibelulaMortis

LibelulaMortis

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a lovely day. When you've told people you are asexual have you ever had someone tell you in reply that you're a plant? It's been happening to me a lot lately, never been sure how to reply. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone <3

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Well, since the traditional thing to compare aces to is an amoeba and "plant" seems to be a newer development in aphobia, I always reply with "it's amoeba, dipshit. Guess you couldn't spell that though." (Or "couldn't pronounce that" if it's a spoken conversation). It's nicely versatile because if they're being jokey then I can be jokey when I make my riposte; if they're being a bitch, I'll be a bigger bitch right back.

I'm a nerd, so I usually reply with something like, "you know that a lot of plants actually reproduce by sexual reproduction, right?"

47 minutes ago, LibelulaMortis said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a lovely day. When you've told people you are asexual have you ever had someone tell you in reply that you're a plant? It's been happening to me a lot lately, never been sure how to reply. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone <3

Oh, do you mean like Asexual reproduction? They never said I was a plant but they often say "You mean like a plant". That is the original meaning of Asexual, though. 

LibelulaMortis

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, guys! I'm definitely going to try some of these next time it happens.

You should always reply with stupid questions, with stupid answers like "No dumbass, I am an Amoeba! Can't even get basic science right, Jesus christ! Educate yourself"

IT also proves you can take criticism, and are mature instead of getting mad by joking with them. Don't expect people to immediately understand. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I always used to get called an amoeba. I like amoebas.

I think there was one person who said something about plants, since they didn't know about this definition of asexual. I however jsut jokingly referenced for a few years that I'll reproduce like a starfish. Cut off an arm, grow a new arm and the arm grows a new me.

Before I knew about asexuality, I joked about how I'd reproduce like a plant or a sponge or that I'd clone myself :P. I don't mind it myself, but I guess it could be considered insulting or derogatory :mellow:. I just ignore people if they try to insult me. 

FemmeFalconer

One of my friends made a similar statement, but after she asked "like a plant?" she mainly stated that she didn't know it could apply to humans. It made me laugh at first until I realized she was completely dead serious. It does make sense why some people automatically go there first though.

Honestly, if someone called me a plant I would just tell them I'm that amazing that I'm no longer human. I've morphed into a plant because I can do that and then walk away. It wouldn't offend me, but I'm not easily offended.

LibelulaMortis

Lots of people call me a plant in a derogatory way, I think it's just because I'm a tiny, 5ft 90pd feminine looking individual. 

FemmeFalconer
54 minutes ago, LibelulaMortis said:

Lots of people call me a plant in a derogatory way, I think it's just because I'm a tiny, 5ft 90pd feminine looking individual. 

That is terrible. I would say we can be plants together, but I don't mean it in a derogatory way and I feel like it has been ruined for you because of other judgemental individuals.

When did calling someone a plant become an insult? Is this a new thing now?

I read an article not too long ago about myths and misconceptions around asexuality and its 'original meaning' does get mentioned.

If someone says something along the lines of "that's not what asexual means" or "it means your a plant" to you, then you could respond with "and straight means 'not curved' and gay means 'happy'. Multiple words have multiple meaning."

I've never had someone call me a plant, but when I came out to my best friend she did admit she only knew about asexuality in plants. In that situation, she didn't say it to offend me, so I was more than happy to explain. 

@LibelulaMortis, I'm so sorry to hear that happens. Some people don't pay attention to what they say, how they say it and how it's heard. I'm not sure how much it counts from a complete stranger, but you're supported 100% in my books and undoubtedly by everyone else here.

5 hours ago, LibelulaMortis said:

Geheheheheh, "IF I PLANT YOU IN THE GROUND WILL YOU GROW TALLER!?"

LibelulaMortis

@cheshers thank you, it does mean a lot. And @FemmeFalconer I've sort of appropriated the term, call myself a house plant because I like being indoors with my ps4, so we can be house plants together lol.

I don't know about it being new but in Vermont it does seem to be the new way to  insult for aces *shrug*

Hermit Advocate

I've had people ask me if I'm asexual like a plant, but never in a derogatory way. 

LibelulaMortis
8 minutes ago, Marrow said:

Geheheheheh, "IF I PLANT YOU IN THE GROUND WILL YOU GROW TALLER!?"

You always know what to say, Marrow ^^

Just now, LibelulaMortis said:

You always know what to say, Marrow ^^

What can I say, when I saw your question I knew I had to spit somethin funny. Hope it cheers you up from your whole "plant" conundrum.

(see my signature) 

I've heard of this happening to people online, and I had one person ask about the whole plant thing because they'd never heard that term in another context. But I have yet to have anyone come up to me and make jokes about me being a plant or being plant-like. 

And if they ever did, I'd just roll my eyes because of all the dumb things you could say about asexuality, that's GOT to be the dumbest thing. It's like when people all tell the same joke in a certain situation and they think they're super clever, but only because they don't know that literally EVERYONE else has already made that joke, and it's old and lame now.