Have you ever mistaken a squish for a crush?

Squishy cake

Has anyone else thought they had a crush, but later learned about squishes?

I excepted that I am ace surprisingly quickly, but then, I was reading more about it, and there is something called a squish...

...that described every single "crush" I ever had. 

1 hour ago, Squishy cake said:

Has anyone else thought they had a crush, but later learned about squishes?

I did have a friend I was deeply connected with and thought I might have had a crush on them but then realized I didn't really want to be romantic with them even though everyone thought we were dating. 

"Squish?" :blink: I'm learning a lot, but what is this?

Just now, Tairaadansu said:

"Squish?" :blink: I'm learning a lot, but what is this?

Deeply Intimate friendship 

A squish is a platonic crush, one where you like someone and want to be close to them, but not in a romantic way.

9 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

I did have a friend I was deeply connected with and thought I might have had a crush on them but then realized I didn't really want to be romantic with them even though everyone thought we were dating. 

Same. It happened to me a lot. But whenever I thought about dating my "crush" I would realize that wasn't what I wanted.

i was so confused 

still am 

thank you for the feedback 

does anyone else have a crush-squish story?

4 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

A squish is a platonic crush, one where you like someone and want to be close to them, but not in a romantic way.

Ok, that makes sense. I've had some squishes then.

Anthracite_Impreza

I used to think I must have crushes on various characters, then I realised squishes were a thing.

Oh.

I've just had an epiphany. I didn't realise this was a thing!

This exactly describes what I just went through with my best friend. Wish I'd heard about this before we tried dating, which ended really badly because I didn't have romantic feelings for him. Maybe now I know I won't lose my best friend next time 

Yes! I thought I had a crush on my neighbor when I was like 13 but it was a squish actually.

I confused both squishes and aesthetic attraction for crushes in the past. Really freaked me out, because I squish on children sometimes.   

• 6 months later...

yES DEFINITELY. i once thought i was smitten towards an internet celebrity a few years ago, but no, it was just a squish. (he was so cute and chubby and socially awkward and funny and that's why i think i was drawn to him; i saw myself in him and admired him greatly.) but this was also back before i figured out a was a lesbian, so at that point, i thought really any good, deep, sweet, respecting feeling towards someone was a crush. :redface::redface::redface:

princesa_calavera

omg This just happened to me tho. I thought I had a crush on a girl from my campus and then realized it was just a squish. .-. 

But it was a bit upsetting for quite a while.

Both "crushes" I thought I had turned out to be squishes.

On 10/02/2017 at 2:35 AM, Sherlocks said:

Thanks again for that because I just blacked out on the definition.

I'm drowning in a squish then. But I was concerned this was a crush at first because... just no.

Sortof, I wouldn't go far as to call it a squish, but I was trying to convince myself I felt romantic attraction at the time so...

The_Reluctant_Dragon

ALL THE FREAKIN TIME! Before I found out about squishes, I always thought I had crushes, it was weird though, since, I always new I just wanted to be their friend.

I think I may have mistaken all of my squishes as crushes..

Edit: Idk. I'm pretty sure I have felt infatuation before a few times in my life. But I don't know if I actually wanted a relationship with any of them, maybe I just liked the idea in my head.

Perilous Poozer

Yep! Definite infatuation, but I would have quite literally run away if any of them had tried to do anything. I didn't know about squishes.

Most definitely. When I went travelling round the US, I had a huge squish on the tour manager. I thought about him all time, and got nervous around him because I really wanted him to like me. Since he was a man, and fairly good-looking, I assumed I had a crush on him. I thought about kissing him a grand total of one time, and it made me really uncomfortable! Looking back, it was definitely a squish.

I'm currently massively confused about which of the two I feel towards a friend of mine, if it's either of them and not just my brain tryng to fabricate a crush on the most readily available male friend in my life because I want a boyfriend e.e It's confusing being on the aromantic spectrum sometimes, isn't it? I've had regular squishes as a teen though, or something like them, where I get a bit giddy about the idea of being friends with someone and feeling really happy whenever I spoke to them, more than I would with my normal friends, but I never even considered them as crushes.

I haven't had too many crushes compared to other people, but I think a lot of my crushes have probably actually been squishes. Regardless of whether I think I like someone romantically, I tend to have a lot of squishes. I guess I just want to be friends with a lot of people :P.  I think I've only had a few real crushes, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's because I actually wanted a relationship with them or because I just liked the idea of a relationship with them. Who knows. 

• 1 year later...

Before I knew what squishes were, I thought I had a crush on my friend. I told him and........he kinda freaked out and it ruined our friendship. I wish I had known what it was back then.

When I was younger I didn't know you could be anything but straight, so I thought my obsessions with boys were crushes, but my obsessions with girls were just wanting to be friends (I didn't know the term squish).

AmorphousBlob

Oh my god yes. All the time. That's why it took me so long to figure this out in the first place

RoseGoesToYale

Hmm... I'm honestly not sure. Probably for some sort of mixture of squish/crush/QPA thing. Upon reflection, I've only had two strong enough to classify as crushes, where romantic feelings were/are specifically involved.

banana monkey

I had different definitions to the ones in this thread. Mine were - Squish - someone you desire to be friends with. ( any type of friendship) Crush - someone you desire to be in a romantic relationship with. However, I get that most people use squish as - someone you desire an intimate friendship/qp partnership with and if that definition is used I really cant tell the difference no matter how hard I try. Never have been able to. Does anyone have any tips? I would love to be able to determine if my feelings for someone were squish or crush as I keep changing my mind. 

Lightning Blue Ray

Once I thought I had a crush on a guy I met during an overseas school trip, but looking back, I realise it was only a squish. That was before I knew about asexuality, aromanticism, and the different types of attraction.

Archived