LonePiper

Do you want a Significant Other?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay, this is pretty hypothetical. If you are not single, imagine that you are. Would you actually want a significant other? If you don't, that doesn't mean, for the purposes of this poll, you want out. Perhaps you've been lucky and gotten one you want to hold on to now, or by a stroke of coincidence you just fell into this one and have found out you are actually happy. Your current situation should not influence your answer. Perhaps what you have learned by it does such as if you have learned, by having a partner, that you are much happier one way or the other.

Nor should you think that your answer dictate whether you are "romantic" or "aromantic". I, for one, am romantic but don't want a relationship. It's just too much hassle for me.

I'm indifferent to the idea of devoting myself to another person. On the whole I'm sceptical that I will ever care that much for anybody and that they will like me equally, but if I do happen to meet such a person, well, that's cool. I don't care either way.

*edit* I've changed my mind. I don't want a partner, ever. ... I'm always changing my mind on this, going between 'no' and 'not sure'.

I suppose it would depend on what the relationship involves. I'm getting ornery and set in my ways as I get older, so I'm pretty sure I would never want to live with a 'significant other'. I seem to need a lot of personal space. It's bad enough that I'll probably be living the rest of my life with family members, since I'm now the 'designated caregiver' :)

On the other hand, once in awhile....I get to thinking it would be nice to have someone who thinks of me as 'special'. But, I've lived without that for a long time, and it hasn't been all that much of a hardship. So if it doesn't happen, so be it.

Lady Heartilly

Yes, definitely. I would love to get married someday so that I can have someone to come home to every day who I can trust, love, and respect and vice versa, and aside from that, I can never get enough cuddling. :)

My judgement may be clouded by the fact that I'm newly single, but while I feel that relationships are nice and I would love one if it came along, I also wouldn't mind just having some close friends for the rest of my life.

I used to really want to be in a relationship and then after the end of a 9 month relationship, I would rather be single. Nothing bad happened in the relationship, but I just prefer being friends with people.

Well, I know that I don't want a relationship now... but I think that I'd like to have one someday. I'm aromantic, so it'd have to be more of a companion and friend than anything. But it would be nice to have someone to talk to when I actually feel like talking and to go rock hunting with.

I voted other...

I don't want one now. But I don't know about the future

Well, I know that I don't want a relationship now... but I think that I'd like to have one someday. I'm aromantic, so it'd have to be more of a companion and friend than anything. But it would be nice to have someone to talk to when I actually feel like talking and to go rock hunting with.

I'm think like that. Although, the rock hunting isn't so important for me.

I don't feel like I "need" a relationship and I don't want one anytime soon either. I really don't think I'd be suited to a relationship as such. I couldn't devote a the sort of time people think necessary and it would be too much pressure. But of course there are different types of relationship.

I do sometimes worry about being alone in the future though, so I might want "something" at some point.

I voted "Not sure."

I suppose part of me wants a relationship, but I've come to associate the idea of a relationship with psychological and emotional pain, so I can't say that I'm eager to be in a relationship or idealistic enough to believe that I could find one.

I guess I'd like to skip the trauma and uncertainty that begins a relationship (you know, the shit people like to call "romance") to that period of safety and symbiosis that comes after a couple have been together for a significant amount of time. I really do not understand any of the games, or whatever, involved in beginning a relationship, and, to be honest, I have no desire to understand them. I guess what I would want from a relationship, if I did want one, would be mutual understanding.

Anyway, all of that is empty speculation that is not grounded in the reality of relationships, and I can't imagine how it could ever occur, so I guess I've decided to opt for a safe lonliness over a confusing, painful pursuit of a relationship.

I voted "No" because I would be unfit for a sigificant other for various reasons. I think it might have something to do with the way my personality is wired into the synapses in my brain. If I tried to sustain a relationship with a significant other, my mind would quickly start to degenerate into bizarre and sometimes violent complexes which I would project on both myself and my significant other.

JokeyFairbobbin

I voted "no." I would really rather have close friends than a significant other, but I find myself in romantic relationships from time to time because that's the only way I can get close enough to people. Which never ends well, no matter how well it begins.

Cate Perfect
I guess I'd like to skip the trauma and uncertainty that begins a relationship (you know, the shit people like to call "romance") to that period of safety and symbiosis that comes after a couple have been together for a significant amount of time. I really do not understand any of the games, or whatever, involved in beginning a relationship, and, to be honest, I have no desire to understand them. I guess what I would want from a relationship, if I did want one, would be mutual understanding.

That's how I felt, as well. I was lucky, though, and got that. We were friends a long time and then discussed it and were just committed to one another.

We lucked out, though, as I understand most people have to jump through the Flaming Hoops of Romance and Pain.

I voted 'No'. I wouldn't want a relationship if I were single--I was happy being by myself. I just happened to find a person I really liked being with.

I voted "no." I really like being single, but I wouldn't oppose to a relationship in the future with someone really great. As of right now, I have more important stuff to do.

I voted yes. IF I get to have a relationship like the one I currently have with a thoughtful, mature person who understands compromise is important. If it's full of arguing and mind games like so many relationships seem to be, then no I'd rather not.

Not sure. I won't go looking for one, but I suppose if someone REALLY nice happens to come along I won't push 'em away, either.

Voted "not sure".

I'm not looking and have no real desire for one at the moment, but if something were to unexpectedly come along I would probably go along with it just for the sake of trying new experiences.

NeitherSparky

I'm not the most "romantic" person (okay, not at all!) but I would like a close companion for life. I love my parrot but I'm kinda leaning towards wanting a human. ;) Call me picky.

Wow, while I can only speak for myself, and I would say I never want one, it never ceases to amaze me how other people can have such high tolerance for bad relationships. Just today heard back from an old friend who ditched a one-time shot at a promising career because his girlfriend wanted him to do something else. Nothing panned out, now he's bummed as hell. It would have been nice if he had announced any of his intentions before throwing his life away, but that's the way it went, and he has no one to blame but himself. Of course, if I wanted to see more stories like that, I could just turn to my own family for dozens.

It's a stubborn man who doesn't learn from his own mistakes, but it's a damn fool who doesn't learn from others'.

Once in a long while I'll connect with someone well enough that a Relationship develops. After it ends, my usual response is "What was I *thinking*???". And there have been times where I've found out that someone I know had developed an interest in me and I responded by taking evasive action...

percolator fish

In a way i would, however theyre so much work, so she'd have to be something really special.

SpirallingSnowy

Yes, definately! :lol:

I voted yes.

I'm such a romantic, but I think I lean more towards wanting to pair others up.

But I do want a relationship, for that "symbiosis" Nugan mentioned, and someone to live together with, I don't like empty houses. But that could be a close friend as well as a romantic relationship.

Easy yes. I could perhaps get everything I'm looking for out of some close friends, but making friends that close and with whom you share that kind of emotional connection as a 20 year old male is nigh impossible, which leaves a romantic relationship.

Alright, although I initially voted no, there is currently a possibility that I may start a relationship with a boy I have a crush on...and while logic will tell me that it might be a bad idea (semester is ending soon, I'm unsure about my sexuality, etc.), I think it may be worth trying out.

No. Why? I don't want the baggage a relationship brings with it. I have lived 53 years alone and have become used to being alone and doing things my way. It is way too late for this old dog to learn new tricks. I enjoy having friends. I enjoy emailing with friends. I enjoy going to movies or dinner with friends. I enjoy doing things with friends. But at the end of the day, I want to come home to MY house by myself and enjoy the peace and quiet of MY home.

I never invite friends to my house. It is my sanctuary from the rest of the world. And it iritates me to no end when family relations come knocking on my door to visit.

I want to come home to MY house by myself and enjoy the peace and quiet of MY home.

I never invite friends to my house. It is my sanctuary from the rest of the world. And it iritates me to no end when family relations come knocking on my door to visit.

Well said. I don't take well to other people being in my space. I only let people know where I live on a need-to-know basis, and no one in my family has visited me in almost five years. I'd go insane if they did.

I had to go for the "other" category.

I don't ever want to marry again *shudders* but sometimes I think a roomate would be nice. Other times I think I'm too eccentric for anybody to tolerate me for more than a few days at a time.

I enjoy having company, but I worry that my lifestyle is too casual for a lot of people.

And I eat weird diet food, too. :wink:

-Greybird

Frigid Pink

No.

I want friends, close friends, and a best friend.

Heh. I have that already.

I'm content :D

Archived