Research study on the prevalence of aromantic and varioriented people

Ettina

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15538605.2016.1233840

This study asked a random sample of 414 Americans, aged 18-65 years (average 27.08, standard deviation 8.18) to answer who they were sexually attracted to (same sex, opposite sex, both or neither) and who they were romantically attracted to (same options).

Almost 1% were aromantic and .7% were asexual, and .2% were aro/ace. 

10.5% were varioriented (mismatched sexual & romantic orientation). Within that group, 56.8% were heteroromantic bisexual, with the rest split between various orientations. Overall 84.1% of varioriented people were allo/allo and bisexual or biromantic. Only 4.5% of varioriented allo/allos had no overlap in the two attraction types (all homoromantic heterosexuals).  

Alloromantic asexuals made up 4.6% of varioriented people (.5% of the total population) and aromantic allosexuals (all heterosexual) made up 6.8% of varioriented people (.7% of the total population).

More studies are needed, and bigger sample sizes. But since the asexuality prevalence roughly lines up with other estimates, I'm guessing it's probably roughly accurate. 

16 minutes ago, Ettina said:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15538605.2016.1233840

This study asked a random sample of 414 Americans, aged 18-65 years (average 27.08, standard deviation 8.18) to answer who they were sexually attracted to (same sex, opposite sex, both or neither) and who they were romantically attracted to (same options).

Almost 1% were aromantic and .7% were asexual, and .2% were aro/ace. 

10.5% were varioriented (mismatched sexual & romantic orientation). Within that group, 56.8% were heteroromantic bisexual, with the rest split between various orientations. Overall 84.1% of varioriented people were allo/allo and bisexual or biromantic. Only 4.5% of varioriented allo/allos had no overlap in the two attraction types (all homoromantic heterosexuals).  

Alloromantic asexuals made up 4.6% of varioriented people (.5% of the total population) and aromantic allosexuals (all heterosexual) made up 6.8% of varioriented people (.7% of the total population).

More studies are needed, and bigger sample sizes. But since the asexuality prevalence roughly lines up with other estimates, I'm guessing it's probably roughly accurate. 

I guess we are not very common? 

• 3 weeks later...

I got lost in this part: 84.1% of varioriented people were allo/allo and bisexual or biromantic . allo/allo as in alloromantic allosexual?

And within that percentage, there were also alloromantic bisexuals and biromantic allosexuals?

I recently found out about mismatched sexual & romantic orientations. I find it really fascinating. But I'm sure most allosexual people don't even want to recognize it so having a study about the matter is a big evidence that can be used for future arguments. Thanks for sharing!

On 2/22/2017 at 8:47 PM, cat_lover said:

I got lost in this part: 84.1% of varioriented people were allo/allo and bisexual or biromantic . allo/allo as in alloromantic allosexual?

And within that percentage, there were also alloromantic bisexuals and biromantic allosexuals?

I recently found out about mismatched sexual & romantic orientations. I find it really fascinating. But I'm sure most allosexual people don't even want to recognize it so having a study about the matter is a big evidence that can be used for future arguments. Thanks for sharing!

What I meant is that they were not asexual or aromantic, and one of their identities was bi. So, heteroromantic bisexual, biromantic homosexual, etc.  

Archived