Asexuality School Assembly

smolgrapes

As advanced planning would be needed, I'm going to ask this. Our school has four houses which have an assembly on different days of the week.

During Asexuality awareness week, should I organise an assembly for our school?

Of course, I would prepare the PowerPoint myself and help organise it. I would help answer any questions at the end, too. I have a bit of stage fright, but hey, at least I know what I'm talking about. Heck, I could even ask for the 'theme of the week' to be spreading asexual awareness.

Pros:

- More exposure for Asexuality, as our school has around 900+ students

- Helps those who are asexual, but don't know that Asexuality exists

- Would cover more than a simple lesson, as it's dedicated to just asexuality

- Answers a lot of questions that many have about Asexuality.

Cons:

- The immature might laugh at the orientation, or make fun of it

- Acephobes may arise

59 minutes ago, smolgrapes said:

As advanced planning would be needed, I'm going to ask this. Our school has four houses which have an assembly on different days of the week.

During Asexuality awareness week, should I organise an assembly for our school?

Of course, I would prepare the PowerPoint myself and help organise it. I would help answer any questions at the end, too. I have a bit of stage fright, but hey, at least I know what I'm talking about. Heck, I could even ask for the 'theme of the week' to be spreading asexual awareness.

Pros:

- More exposure for Asexuality, as our school has around 900+ students

- Helps those who are asexual, but don't know that Asexuality exists

- Would cover more than a simple lesson, as it's dedicated to just asexuality

- Answers a lot of questions that many have about Asexuality.

Cons:

- The immature might laugh at the orientation, or make fun of it

- Acephobes may arise

I think generally when people do projects like this they do more than one social issue at a time. Though honestly, I don't think there are enough people who care enough about being "Asexual" to want to reject it. Oddly it seems the people more against asexual ideas tends to be other asexual on this site as they are afraid of offending none asexuals. A lot of major religions and schools preach abstinence and while those are clearly not the same thing considering we have school and parents pushing so greatly against sex you would probably be viewed as more positive. I mean it might be uncool but probably not terribly offensive. Though anyone who is offended by any kind of sexuality that is not really hurting anyone is probobly a knob to begin with arnt they? So dont feel bad if some idiot auctully does get angry about this. Since anyone angry enough your sexuality dont automatically aline with thier own is honestly a waste of breath and a waste of space. 

21 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

I think generally when people do projects like this they do more than one social issue at a time. 

This is mainly for ace awareness week, since my school REALLY needs the education. They don't even mention it once during classes about human sexuality. It probably helps that the higher ups at my school are fond of me.

Hermit Advocate

Four houses, do you go to Hogwarts?!

If you feel comfortable talking about asexuality then go for it. You might get some a**wipes who bash you for it, but I've found that most people really don't care. Be prepared for the dumb questions like "oh, so you're a plant right?" and things like that. 

This sounds great! Do let us know if you would like some support, be it materials or help finding a speaker should you decide not to run it all alone. :cake::cake::cake:

43 minutes ago, timewarp said:

This sounds great! Do let us know if you would like some support, be it materials or help finding a speaker should you decide not to run it all alone. :cake::cake::cake:

That would need some school permissions, but I'm sure that they'd allow an AVEN member to help be a speaker (apart from me, of course)

11 hours ago, Hey you in the corner said:

Four houses, do you go to Hogwarts?!

If you feel comfortable talking about asexuality then go for it. You might get some a**wipes who bash you for it, but I've found that most people really don't care. Be prepared for the dumb questions like "oh, so you're a plant right?" and things like that. 

Nah, our school is just hyper competitive. My primary school did that too, although my primary school was definitely more Hogwarts-like. Luckily our school hasn't pug asexual reproduction into the curriculum yet, don't know about year 10 or the year 11s that would have newly arrived for the school.

To help the next generation of asexuals help discover who hey are and not feel shame, confusion, or guilt the way I did immediately after mandatory sex education in fifth grade, I wish the female speaker had said, "You don't have to have sex if you don't want to, nor is it a requirement in life to have children," because I panicked after hearing her talk all about sex and about menstruation resulting in having babies.

That was the first moment when I had asexual feelings, thinking, "This is what is expected of me when I'm older? But, I don't want sex or children!" However, the word, "asexuality," didn't exist then, so I just felt confused, as though I was weird or that something was a little off with me.

I hope this helps you with your presentation.

(off topic note: :huh: Wow. How ironic that even AVEN's spellchecker doesn't recognize the word, "asexual," as a real word, but flags it as being misspelled.)

Archived