Aro/Ace Jughead in Riverdale

Mikotokitty

So! The CW has a new Archie based show named Riverdale. Unfortunately, they've taken away Jughead's canon asexuality and (not explicitly stated) aromanticism, despite claiming to be based on the currently comics. Fortunately, at least on tumblr, the Ace community is doing a Thunderclap, a type of petition to get comments put in on Episode 2 which airs tomorrow at 9/8c. The erasure of Jughead's asexuality is making more online article headlines, and tomorrow's episode could boost the lone character rep we have. 

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/52594-aroacejugheadorbust?locale=en

There is also one for allies to share to non-Ace/Aro friends!

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/52617-aroacejugheadorbust-allies?locale=en

All you have to do it link your Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr. If you don't want to, please at least share it to someone who would, or has a lot of followers. I believe that it works by showing this message to share to everyone who follows you on whichever social media. Please share!

Link to tumblr post explanation http://asexualrepresent.tumblr.com/post/156492846810/aroacejugheadorbust 

I knew i had a bad feeling about this show.... I was obsessed with Archie comics as a kid, and Jughead's approach to life always made sense to me. (Gee, I wonder why...?)

Adding to my previous post, I just googled images and...um...where's the pin? It's been toned WAY down lately, but for several years they had an ongoing storyline where one of the random pins on Jug's hat turned out to be magical. When he wore that pin he became irresistible to women, and I suspect the pin affected him as well (he actually had some romantic storylines that were pretty effing jarring). From what pictures I could find--I don't see the pin. Without that pin, I don't buy him being anything but aro/ace.

Also, Cheryl's a villain again? Really??? Cheryl Blossom hasn't been villainous in ages, and actually is one of the coolest and most complex characters in the comics.

Ugh. This show is apparently total trash.

EDIT: Wait wait! Cole Sprouse, who plays Jughead, is adamant that he wants the show to portray him as asexual.

https://moviepilot.com/p/riverdale-stranger-things-shannon-purser-barb-jughead-asexual/4194933

Queer as Cat wrote a pretty good take on this (and a response for anyone it confused). As the things people are citing become further removed from the source, and Sprouse apparently didn't do that much research because he gave the impression he thinks all aces are aromantic. 

I'd be surprised if the show survives, but it's the CW. I don't expect much. 

53 minutes ago, borkfork said:

Queer as Cat wrote a pretty good take on this (and a response for anyone it confused). As the things people are citing become further removed from the source, and Sprouse apparently didn't do that much research because he gave the impression he thinks all aces are aromantic. 

I'd be surprised if the show survives, but it's the CW. I don't expect much. 

Yes, let's continue to bash aromantic people and push them away. Not all asexual are aromantic but let's all agree that not all asexuals are searching for non-sexual relationships with others either. Queer as Cat often feels her asexual experience is the only one that should ever be promoted. 

Honestly I feel like the closest we'll ever get to have him be aro/ace on the show is him just not being a part of any sexual or romantic relationships and no one ever talking about it. Which since this is a teen show on the CW might relegate him to secondary character status. 

What's the purpose of a thunderclap? I know it says it's to raise awareness and increase the "reach" of a cause, but what will that ultimately achieve, if none of these thunderclap participants are actually contacting the writers? Especially if the writers are adamant about not portraying Jughead as asexual (at least for the time being, yadayada) because they have a certain vision for the show. They could easily just ignore this. Unless I don't understand correctly.

Archived