Who wants to get out of their country?

Shahima

I'm in Canada. I for a while wanted to move out of this country, and then decided to backpack around the globe, to sort of "dip" my toes in, first.

I realized, I really love my country.

However, I still see myself moving to a tropical country, but more of a vacation home basis.

Knight of Cydonia

I feel really fortunate to love where I live - Canada. I enjoy vacationing elsewhere, but as a place to live, I can't see myself wanting to move.

I've always wanted to live somewhere in Europe, mostly England, Norway, or Sweden (though their sjw government would take some getting used to). Don't get me wrong, Australia is cool and all (not in climate though) and we are a very fortunate country, but Europe has always looked so beautiful and green, while Australia is mostly desert and dry, unsightly Gum Trees. And don't get me started on the spiders....

At least Tasmania was nice and green. I'd move too Tasmania any day. It was gorgeous.

Actually nevermind, I'd rather move to Tasmania than overseas.

drjohnhwatson

I'm 26 and I live in America and OH BOY YES.  Now more than EVER.

But to be fair, I've wanted to go to Europe for ages and ages.  I want to see the world and I want to see history, and that's hard round here.  And it takes hours and hours of driving to get to anywhere that has anything (it takes fifteen minutes to a half hour to get to a town depending which direction I wanna go).  It'd be nice to have a new change of pace and experience things that are different than the way I've lived all these years.

Nah, I'm fine living in the USA for now. I do want to get out of California though, and go where there isn't a ridiculously high cost of living, it isn't overpopulated, and it isn't sunny all the time. My paternal grandma lives in Washington and I love it there.

I want to get out of my country (Canada), but to visit and experience other cultures, not necessarily to move. I've wanted to take a trip to Europe and New Zealand for a while now. 

My lifelong dream is to move to England. I'm actually in the process of applying for jobs so I can get a visa!

I've never been the least bit patriotic but my hatred for America is currently at its peak.

RoseGoesToYale

I at least need to get out of my state (Florida). I get summer SAD, and the seven months of +80 Fahrenheit and 80% humidity is a living nightmare. But getting out of the country would be preferable. I've never fit in here and it seems like no matter how hard I try, I can't act American enough. Either Finland, Canada, France, or Germany. Being interested in linguistics, I'd love to live somewhere where several different languages are spoken.

On 2/1/2017 at 10:13 PM, UVB-76 said:

Oh my. I live in Poland, this "European Mexico".

No i jeszcze sie teraz dowiaduje że mieszkasz w cebuli xD.

@topic: Poland, want leave probably to western European island (Ireland or Iceland), maaaybe USA, South Ame is also an option, simply anywhere where economic, entrepreneurship and tax laws are sane and clear. I don't mind high taxes, I only want to know how to pay them and not suddenly be taken to jail. But that still depends on political state of the planet, because in case of war, I consider eastern Asia to be an asylum.

J. van Deijck

Oh my God, now I know two Polish AVENites! :D:D

Cebulandia ♡♡♡ :lol:

Nope.

No way I'm going to leave Luxembourg. It's not perfect, it never is, but I'm glad to call it home.

I want to leave Korea. I love the food, and I'm grateful I've experienced the unique culture. But I feel suffocated when I imagine living here the rest of my life. It feels like I can't get any farther being stuck here, and the older I get the more I feel this isn't the place for me. Not to mention the messy political turmoil.

I find it oddly amusing that there are so many people here who want to leave the US, while I'm ecstatic to move there this summer ;) I guess it's a matter of perspective, though, after nearly two years on assignment in Kabul, Afghanistan, pretty much any place where you get to walk out of your front door without body armor sounds lovely.

Not counting Afghanistan, I've lived in six different countries so far - Germany, Indonesia, Spain, the US, Turkey and Morocco. They all had their pros and cons. None of them had or has a perfect government, they all have their share of idiots and bigots, and if the weather isn't too hot, it is either too cold or too wet. I'm at a point where I can say that if there is a certain set of minimum conditions (which may be different for each of us) and if you show a bit of flexibility and keep an open-mind, there are many, many places in the world where you can be happy. 

On 2/2/2017 at 8:41 AM, Perspektiv said:

I'm in Canada. I for a while wanted to move out of this country, and then decided to backpack around the globe, to sort of "dip" my toes in, first.

I realized, I really love my country.

However, I still see myself moving to a tropical country, but more of a vacation home basis.

Me 

Im American 

On 02/02/2017 at 4:02 PM, MinahK said:

I'd want to go to one of those so-called "happiest countries" like Norway, Switzerland, Denmark or New Zealand.

Denmark is only in that list because they don't want to complain. Everything that isn't bad is good enough - a small case of 'could've been worse' :lol: (and don't trust the Norwegians, because they just want to boast :P )

Jokes aside, Denmark is a pretty nice country to live in, and they make it fairly easy for foreigners to move there (at least for me it was way easier to get all the administration done in Denmark than it was in Sweden - and the people I met were a bit more welcoming in DK, but Sweden was also great)

Overall I can say it's quite nice to have a change of scenery every now and then. I'm from NL, have studied 2 years in Sweden, have lived in Denmark for a bit over 2 years (and counting), and am now in the UK for a few months. 

I have not too much to complain about the Netherlands, but at the time I was really done with the place I lived + uni, and felt I needed to get out. Which turned out to be of the best decisions in my life (and a job more or less straight after I was done with my studies :P )

I hope I own an island and a life as described in Lake Isle of Innisfree.:lol:

I'm English,  and definitely would like to leave.  Must be somewhere with cold winter's and good summer wildlife,  the Alps or Canada spring to mind 

SorryNotSorry

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, emma-can said:

I like America but since the government's going to shit I should maybe consider other countries, kinda?  Britain or Germany seem like nice places to live, as well as New Zealand, especially since there's not much of a language barrier.  I like the idea of going to Iceland, but it's probably too cold for me to live there all year round XD

Our government is not much better, tbh.

I'm waiting for Scotland to go independent and then I'm on the first train up there. Scotland seems mostly progressive and sure it's got some problems, but I want to go there, defend/extend the progressiveness and help sort out the problems.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:55 AM, Shahima said:

I'm 23, female, asexual and live in Bangladesh. I know this will sound nonpatriotic but I want to leave my country. I feel like I don't belong here. I never felt like I belonged here. I had the opportunity to study in the UK for a year and I realised how much I missed out in my life-the freedom of being myself. I know that every country has its goods and bads but I liked what I had in the UK. Now that I'm back in my country, the feeling of desperation is more than ever and I can't share it with anyone because of being called 'a whiny brat' or an 'overprivilege seeker'. I will not say how Bangladesh is because it will create a huge argument, so I am keeping it about me. I want to get out. I need to get out of this country.

Anyone else feel this way? Have you tried to leave successfully? Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks

UPDATE: Well...I applied for British Army, being a commonwealth citizen and sadly it didn't work out. So, there goes my one option. I will update further the back up plan fails.

I'm so sorry you're getting such horrible reactions from people. Have you ever heard the term "reverse culture shock"? It tends to happen to people who lived overseas for a while and immersed themselves in the culture when they move back to their home country. It's pretty common.  Here are a few links to webpages that describe this condition and provide a list of common symptoms: http://usac.unr.edu/travel/living-abroad/reverse-culture-shockhttps://iwasanexpatwife.com/2012/11/26/the-sneaky-symptoms-of-culture-shock/ , https://internationalhrforum.com/2009/08/17/reverse-culture-shock-or-why-do-i-hate-being-back-home/

Personally, I wish I could just move to a different country every few years. I absolutely can't stand the way governments handle immegration these days. 100+ years ago people could move wherever they wanted and just stay there and work there, legally. There were no work visas, wait times and insane processing fees. Nowadays things are so complicated. Getting a work visa is such a long tedious process that is also often also expensive. Some countries only take people that are highly skilled and and trained to work in specific fields.

You could try moving to Svalbard (that's what I'm thinking of doing). Svalbard is the only place in the world that doesn't require a work visa. Even though it's part of Norway, anyone can live and work there. The problem is you have to find a job and a place to live first, but jobs are relatively difficult to find in Svalbard and living expenses are high. To my understanding most jobs in Svalbard provide housing, so if you can find a job there you should be set. I tried googling "jobs in Svalbard" but all the job posts I came across were in Norwegian, so I'm not really sure how to go about looking for a job there.

18 hours ago, helana12_03 said:

I'm so sorry you're getting such horrible reactions from people. Have you ever heard the term "reverse culture shock"? It tends to happen to people who lived overseas for a while and immersed themselves in the culture when they move back to their home country. It's pretty common.  Here are a few links to webpages that describe this condition and provide a list of common symptoms: http://usac.unr.edu/travel/living-abroad/reverse-culture-shockhttps://iwasanexpatwife.com/2012/11/26/the-sneaky-symptoms-of-culture-shock/ , https://internationalhrforum.com/2009/08/17/reverse-culture-shock-or-why-do-i-hate-being-back-home/

Personally, I wish I could just move to a different country every few years. I absolutely can't stand the way governments handle immegration these days. 100+ years ago people could move wherever they wanted and just stay there and work there, legally. There were no work visas, wait times and insane processing fees. Nowadays things are so complicated. Getting a work visa is such a long tedious process that is also often also expensive. Some countries only take people that are highly skilled and and trained to work in specific fields.

You could try moving to Svalbard (that's what I'm thinking of doing). Svalbard is the only place in the world that doesn't require a work visa. Even though it's part of Norway, anyone can live and work there. The problem is you have to find a job and a place to live first, but jobs are relatively difficult to find in Svalbard and living expenses are high. To my understanding most jobs in Svalbard provide housing, so if you can find a job there you should be set. I tried googling "jobs in Svalbard" but all the job posts I came across were in Norwegian, so I'm not really sure how to go about looking for a job there.

Svalbard was in my mind too until I saw the demanded occupation. With my not so useful Law profession, I dont think I can make it anywhere unless I go abroad with a group of workers to work in farms/factories/garment sector. That would mean giving up the value of my education...but I am willing to do that as long as I am not in legal/other kinds of trouble. I am very aware of the scams of working abroad schemes and I am very much researching into it.

1 hour ago, Shahima said:

Svalbard was in my mind too until I saw the demanded occupation. With my not so useful Law profession, I dont think I can make it anywhere unless I go abroad with a group of workers to work in farms/factories/garment sector. That would mean giving up the value of my education...but I am willing to do that as long as I am not in legal/other kinds of trouble. I am very aware of the scams of working abroad schemes and I am very much researching into it.

Oh well, I was thinking of working at a hotel in Svalbard. If you have a law degree you can probably go anywhere you want anyway. You could probably immigrate to Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the UK as a skilled migrant. It's legal, but I think it requires a bit of paperwork. 

1 hour ago, helana12_03 said:

Oh well, I was thinking of working at a hotel in Svalbard. If you have a law degree you can probably go anywhere you want anyway. You could probably immigrate to Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the UK as a skilled migrant. It's legal, but I think it requires a bit of paperwork. 

Not just paperwork, i have to compete with the locals with the same degree. there are so many lawyers, administrators, office workers nowadays. A mechanic has a better chance moving abroad than me.

2 hours ago, Shahima said:

A mechanic has a better chance moving abroad than me.

I fear you are right. I studied that stuff too ages ago and just didn't get my degree. - But law is the most local subject to study ever kind of worthless abroad if you aren't needed by a multi national corporation (to double check their Bangladeshi premium law firm bills or similar) OTOH: when I started I was told that law is closest to "next level of highschool diploma" because law school survivors are valued for quick understanding / problem solving in management. - Still hard to overcome language barriers etc on that base. I'd rather go abroad as a crafts person (if I was really any good in mine, which I am not).

So yeah, I'll most likely stay where I am. - Was pondering moving to the UK for romantic reasons once. But I wouldn't dare on my own.

1 hour ago, Busrider said:

I fear you are right. I studied that stuff too ages ago and just didn't get my degree. - But law is the most local subject to study ever kind of worthless abroad if you aren't needed by a multi national corporation (to double check their Bangladeshi premium law firm bills or similar) OTOH: when I started I was told that law is closest to "next level of highschool diploma" because law school survivors are valued for quick understanding / problem solving in management. - Still hard to overcome language barriers etc on that base. I'd rather go abroad as a crafts person (if I was really any good in mine, which I am not).

So yeah, I'll most likely stay where I am. - Was pondering moving to the UK for romantic reasons once. But I wouldn't dare on my own.

perhaps I should take training courses for a demanded sector like welding while I save money from jobs. But even then it requires least 2 years experience. Why wouldn't you go on your own?

18 minutes ago, Shahima said:

Why wouldn't you go on your own?

I'm no "premium migrant material" and life at home isn't really bad. - I have my pretty casual job, know where to shop cheaply and own way too much junk to move along with me.

I guess to grow new roots elsewhere I'd have to work full time pay a lot of rent would have to re-purchase every odd tool I might ever need and would also need more money to compensate the lack of my social network? <- Obviously a somewhat established older guy's problems that you won't face that badly.

Is welding really the career to pick? - Wouldn't less manual production jobs be more convenient? - But yes, I see welders seeked by every "rent a slave" company. - Isn't the NHS recruiting mainly abroad too?

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Busrider said:

But she studied in the UK for a year. It means that she probably knows some UK law, right?

MissingNoomber

I'd love to visit Poland one of these days if I ever can afford it, the language interest me quite a bit. I think it'd be just fun to look around where ever overthere. Other places would be the UK go to the little town of where my great x9 grandpa was from maybe. Also New Zealand, cause why not.

1 hour ago, helana12_03 said:

But she studied in the UK for a year. It means that she probably knows some UK law, right?

That gets you close to nowhere. - Disclaimer: I am 15 years outdated and the system i was in might be way further off from UK law than hers. Bangladesh is an ex-colony isn't it? - Anyhow: Studying law tends to take 4 years at school and 2 more not too badly paid years of training in the field here. - I doubt the Brits to be way faster and to get to work in a country you most likely need the local exams to get admission to courts. Otherwise you are limited to put a sign calling you something less than lawyer for your state of origin's law next to your door. - Probably not the best source of income. Lawyers abroad are really just seasoned kids with a driving license (if they have one).

Studying a year in the UK (which I didn't try for stupid romantic reasons again) does of course polish your CV somehow but it is really just meant to give a first insight to end as the one to contact a British law firm in your own company's name or to maybe divorce couples married under common law locally (but there must be guides on how to do that for local idiots too).

I'm not aware of unfinished law studies having job market value. But again I am not an expert and out of that scene.

5 hours ago, Busrider said:

Isn't the NHS recruiting mainly abroad too?

I hope so. I've applied for 16 NHS jobs so far in the past month. I've only heard back from 3 so far. (Rejections)

EDIT: 17 now

Archived