Who wants to get out of their country?

Shahima

I'm 23, female, asexual and live in Bangladesh. I know this will sound nonpatriotic but I want to leave my country. I feel like I don't belong here. I never felt like I belonged here. I had the opportunity to study in the UK for a year and I realised how much I missed out in my life-the freedom of being myself. I know that every country has its goods and bads but I liked what I had in the UK. Now that I'm back in my country, the feeling of desperation is more than ever and I can't share it with anyone because of being called 'a whiny brat' or an 'overprivilege seeker'. I will not say how Bangladesh is because it will create a huge argument, so I am keeping it about me. I want to get out. I need to get out of this country.

Anyone else feel this way? Have you tried to leave successfully? Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks

UPDATE: Well...I applied for British Army, being a commonwealth citizen and sadly it didn't work out. So, there goes my one option. I will update further the back up plan fails.

I really do like Minnesota, but the seasonal changes are just too much for me.  I'd be interested in moving to the Netherlands or Norway.  Somewhere around that area.  I'm not looking to make any moves until after I get my PE license (hopefully this April) though.

AsexualMemeTrash

No matter how often people say that we have the best governmental system, I hate my country and I want to leave. Maybe to England, or I'll find an island in the middle of nowhere and start my own country.

Arvid of Rivendell

America is boring (and, right now, a complete sh*t-house). I'm not sure if I want to live in another country, let alone where I'd want to live (maybe England or Iceland?), but I definitely want to travel. I have a long list of places I'd rather be. Unfortunately I'm not a legal adult yet.

I don't think you should worry too much about being "unpatriotic" - nations and patriotism are social constructs. Besides, not wanting to live in a certain area is perfectly normal. If you want to get out, then go for it.

I'm from the USA, so it's a huge difference from Bangladesh. The closest I have been to Bangladesh is India. I'm not going to pretend that I know what it's like living in Bangladesh (especially as a female, or in the LGBT community etc), but let's just say that I have an idea.  That being said, I'm not sure if what I'm about to say is comparable, but...

I have moved to another country (for a year), have travelled to about 20 countries often for a month or so at a time, and for me, a lot of times my reasons for leaving are internal. Meaning that it's just internal stuff that will follow me around every time I need the escape. Sometimes you can't run away from your problems, they'll just follow you around. But when I moved to another country, I went as a student with a stipend. This was during the recession when the USD totally tanked. But I just packed and left. Greatest year of my life.

If you need to leave because you want to be afforded certain freedoms, I believe that is different. My parents are immigrants and left places that were oppressive. It's one of those "coming to America" stories where they escaped, started from nothing, and made it. So, it's possible :-) A lot of times, all it takes is a leap of faith. Easy? No. Especially this day in age. But it's possible. To put it in perspective, one parent of mine was in a refugee camp, and the other was sentenced to hard labor. But they kept their eyes on the prize (moving to the US). I'm a firm believer (maybe this is my American side) that if there's a will, there's a way. 

Not sure if that rambling help, but do keep us posted. And best of luck to you. Feel free to ask questions. Fight the good fight! We're rooting for you :-)

My situation isn't much like yours at all (I live in Belgium, which is across the pond from the UK), but I can relate to the topic. I don't want to spend my life here.

Besides, I hate the hot summers we've been getting during the last few years. I'm pretty much made to live in a Nordic country.

7 minutes ago, mountainhead said:

My situation isn't much like yours at all (I live in Belgium, which is across the pond from the UK), but I can relate to the topic. I don't want to spend my life here.

Besides, I hate the hot summers we've been getting during the last few years. I'm pretty much made to live in a Nordic country.

OT: but the last time I was in Europe was in the summer of 2015...the heat was brutalllll. :$ 

1 minute ago, kingcakedonut said:

OT: but the last time I was in Europe was in the summer of 2015...the heat was brutalllll. :$ 

Where in Europe, though?

I don't think I'd be able to stand the weather in most of the US — California summers sound like hell.

12 minutes ago, mountainhead said:

Where in Europe, though?

I don't think I'd be able to stand the weather in most of the US — California summers sound like hell.

Central. My friend that I met there (who lives in Central Europe) went to Spain when I was there and he almost died. US is bad. But what makes it doable is that most places in the South have air conditioning. N. California is not that bad though, and most places don't have AC but the weather is tolerable.

But that was the worst for me...when you're indoors and it's hotter than being outside, because there's no wind around and no AC :@ Also, I grew up not far form the sea, so that helps. Also, thank God for pools!

49 minutes ago, kingcakedonut said:

Central. My friend that I met there (who lives in Central Europe) went to Spain when I was there and he almost died. US is bad. But what makes it doable is that most places in the South have air conditioning. N. California is not that bad though, and most places don't have AC but the weather is tolerable.

But that was the worst for me...when you're indoors and it's hotter than being outside, because there's no wind around and no AC :@ Also, I grew up not far form the sea, so that helps. Also, thank God for pools!

I tend to complain when other people are happy with it, though. Anything above ~20°C (~70°F) is usually uncomfortable. I have a bit of a reputation as the one who wears shorts all year as well.

A mere monkey

I like my country, don't get me wrong. Me wanting to leave is to see some of the world tbh. I want to live somewhere more exotic.

I don't want to leave my room, let alone my country.

This isn't true of every person, but some people who leave and go somewhere else end up finding things out about themselves that they couldn't leave behind because you can't leave yourself behind. I think I'd still be me no matter where I went, which would lead to me having the same problems anywhere, so why bother leaving?

I do. I've always wanted to move to another place, preferably Germany, UK or some nordic country. Moving can be a pain in the ass, especially if you're going to live in a completely different place and you don't know anything about the language or the culture. It can make you feel very lonely sometimes. But even so, given the choice, I'd definitely leave my country. Brazil is too hot and too violent for me. Besides, if anything goes wrong, I can always come back, so why not give it a try? :)

I don't hate America or anything, but I wouldn't mind going back to Germany, just for nostalgia sake. I don't know how or why, but Germany always gave me that welcoming feeling. Or...maybe somewhere else in Europe. I've visited France and Italy, but I've never been to places like Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland, or Scotland.

I like America but since the government's going to shit I should maybe consider other countries, kinda?  Britain or Germany seem like nice places to live, as well as New Zealand, especially since there's not much of a language barrier.  I like the idea of going to Iceland, but it's probably too cold for me to live there all year round XD

Guest And Peggy
Just now, emma-can said:

I like the idea of going to Iceland, but it's probably too cold for me to live there all year round XD

Iceland has a warm climate XD. Did you mean Greenland?

I don't want to move out of America permanently, but I really hate everyone in power right now, so I might consider studying abroad.

Just now, CakeSpadeAce said:

Iceland has a warm climate XD. Did you mean Greenland?

I don't want to move out of America permanently, but I really hate everyone in power right now, so I might consider studying abroad.

Avg. Jan. high temp Reykjavik: 35.4 degrees F

Avg. Jul. high temp Reykjavik: 55.9 degrees F

Probably Greenland is colder, but that is not what I'd call a warm climate XD

J. van Deijck

Oh my. I live in Poland, this "European Mexico". Lived abroad twice, and came back nobody knows why (possibly because I'm a moron). My country is really flawed when it comes to LGBT rights, healthcare and employment (I'm lucky to have a job in my area). So yes, leaving at some point might be beneficial... but now I feel too old for it. Even though I'm not old at all.

Guest And Peggy
Just now, emma-can said:

Avg. Jan. high temp Reykjavik: 35.4 degrees F

Avg. Jul. high temp Reykjavik: 55.9 degrees F

Probably Greenland is colder, but that is not what I'd call a warm climate XD

That seems warm to me. Then again, I get warm super easily :P 

Just now, CakeSpadeAce said:

That seems warm to me. Then again, I get warm super easily :P 

I don't like anything below 40 degrees, haha.  Right now in Reykjavik it is 33 feels like 27.  Not for me.

Also, even though Greenland has more ice than Iceland, Iceland does have the largest glacier in Europe :0

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
25 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

Oh my. I live in Poland, this "European Mexico". Lived abroad twice, and came back nobody knows why (possibly because I'm a moron). My country is really flawed when it comes to LGBT rights, healthcare and employment (I'm lucky to have a job in my area). So yes, leaving at some point might be beneficial... but now I feel too old for it. Even though I'm not old at all.

*Hugs* I hope you can leave soon.

I'm trying to flee from my country too, but I'm currently very confused :\

My country (Italy) is getting more and more fucked up: corrupted government, high unemployment rates, all the usual bad stuff.

I tried living by myself for YEARS, working both as a freelance copywriter and in an agency, but always with terrible results money-wise. My job isn't even considered a "real" work here, and I'm sick and tired of being exploited.

(And yes, I've tried applying for more "normal" jobs, but with no luck. I've tried everything.)

Like many Italians of my age, I don't see a future for myself in this place. I want to live in an English-speaking country, improve my language, learn to write well in English and get paid for it.

So I'm going to the UK. I'm leaving whilst already feeling unaccepted, and won't even know if I will be able to stay there, considering all this confusing Brexit stuff. Canada would be another option, but it's so costly and oh so far.

I don't really know what to do. I just want to write.

I'm in Australia, and the climate is just, it's too bloody hot. Though I'll probably move down south to Melbourne first  to see if it's any better there before leaving it entirely.

Since Trump's inauguration, I'd imagine a lot of Americans want to emigrate to Canada so they will have to build a wall...

I want to leave my country, too. I love my homeland. But I hate people, leaders and education system. 

I live in Turkey.

There's a lot of crime in my country so I do wanna leave. I'd want to go to one of those so-called "happiest countries" like Norway, Switzerland, Denmark or New Zealand.

Archived