(Grey) Asexual Fanfiction

WaffleGrace

Hey dudes (of all gender identities),

I read quite a lot of fanfiction, have for years, and have only today come across my first asexual character in a fanfiction. It seems like there's a lack in the entertainment/ media re: asexuality in general. I was wondering if anyone else on the site read fanfiction and, if so, if they knew of any more stories with characters on the asexual layer cake?

This one is a Les Miserables high school AU Enjolras/ Grantaire.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2306315/chapters/6320816

Thanks!

(PS, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this topic, if it's not, could someone direct me to the right page?)

I'm not too sure about the fanfiction community and asexuality, since from my experience most fanfic are centered around pairings and they only can appear asexual if they're written for a younger audience or by a younger writer.

I'm curious though if you're looking for an AU where a character is turned ace/demi/gray or a fandom in which the character is already ace/demi/gray.  Like you might want to look into Archie fanfic since Jughead from that universe is ace.  I'm still trying to write fanfiction based on Koisuru Boukun (Tyrant Falls in Love) which to me has a demi protagonist who has an ace little brother.  Though by comparison I see Tomoe from Challengers and Koisuru Boukun as canonically ace, it's only my headcanon that Libra from Fire Emblem: Awakening is ace and I'd write any fanfiction with that in mind.

PurveyorOfBadPuns

Oh girl I have got you (at least if you're into Avengers/Marvel) because I have read a lot!  Here are just a few:

• Epic-length Marvel (Including Avengers, X-Men, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, etc.) AU that is super well-written and has characters on every layer of the ace cake (asexual, grey-ace, aro, demi, etc.) and pretty much every sexuality besides:  http://archiveofourown.org/works/2035785/chapters/4419195
  • Same universe and same authors as the above  but focussed on the female/female romantic couples, most chapters are kind of sexual but a good number of them are scenes between asexual couples cudding/etc. if you're into that:  http://archiveofourown.org/works/2504084/chapters/5559782
  • Long time favorite Supernatural fic (asexual Destiel) that really made me feel good about being ace (I still re-read it when I'm feeling down even though I haven't been in the fandom for a while):  http://archiveofourown.org/works/1034932
  • Cute short and sweet vignette about an Agents of SHIELD character realizing she might be ace (also contains transgender themes): http://archiveofourown.org/works/5032834
  • Cute Supernatural oneshot (asexual Megstiel) about good communication and a functional (sort of queerplatonic) relationship between an aro person and an ace person:  http://archiveofourown.org/works/1407979

These are a few favorites that I liked enough to download to my ebook reader, but I've read a lot of ace fanfic in a number of fandoms.  If you want more, message me/reply on here!  Also, you can go on ArchiveOfOurOwn, click on your fandom, and use the "search within results" function to find all the asexual fanfic your little heart desires.

2 hours ago, sithgirlix said:

I'm curious though if you're looking for an AU where a character is turned ace/demi/gray or a fandom in which the character is already ace/demi/gray.

I'm really not that particular, as long as it's well written I'll give most anything a chance. Especially since this today is the first time I've even seen asexuality as an honest sexuality in fanfiction (instead of a type of reproduction *cough*TheHobbit*cough*). A canon ace character sounds interesting. I've never read Archie before, but I'll look it up, thanks!

2 hours ago, PurveyorOfBadPuns said:

Also, you can go on ArchiveOfOurOwn, click on your fandom, and use the "search within results" function to find all the asexual fanfic your little heart desires.

PurveyorOfBadPuns, thank you so much! I am definitely into the Marvel and Supernatural universe(s) (that word is like apocalypse, what is it's plural?). To be honest, I'm so behind on Supernatural that most of my knowledge of it comes from fanfiction. My favourite fandoms are Harry Potter, the Hobbit (but strangely not the Lord of the Rings), and just about anything Marvel. So what you've already suggested is perfect, and if you have any more I would love to read them.

And... oh my goodness! There's an asexuality tag, how did I never see/ notice it?

PurveyorOfBadPuns
31 minutes ago, WaffleGrace said:

PurveyorOfBadPuns, thank you so much!

I'm glad to be the fanfic fairy! :D  Message me any time to talk about fic or ask any questions!

25 minutes ago, WaffleGrace said:

And... oh my goodness! There's an asexuality tag, how did I never see/ notice it?

Well, there is an "Asexual Character" tag you can use, but it isn't used on every fic with asexual characters.  However, if you just put "asexual" into "Search Within Results" (which is below the "Other Tags" box in the "Sort and Filter" box) it will find whether the word "asexual" was used anywhere in any of the tags (including specific tags like "asexual people rock" that you couldn't otherwise use to sort fic) as well as anywhere in the fic itself.

I'll let you know if I think of any more!

Wouldn't that just be friendship? 

I wrote a story about two close friends who went to school together and it was meant to be a close friendship. Everyone kept telling me the story seemed gay though so I just made them gay in the end. I saw their behavior as normal because I act like that with my friends so I really didn't find anything abnormal about it. 

To be honest I thought Penguin was Ace from Gotham till season 3 they confirm him as gay just so they could queerbait us with Nygmobblepot which I still really pissed about since it was just pointless and a waste of a season and then they killed off Penguin the highest rated character... but im getting a little off track. 

Also I write fanfiction A LOT 

PurveyorOfBadPuns
13 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Wouldn't that just be friendship? 

Ace people can have romantic relationships.  I think what OP was asking for though was characters who identify as ace rather than just characters who don't seem to have sex.

3 minutes ago, PurveyorOfBadPuns said:

Ace people can have romantic relationships.  I think what OP was asking for though was characters who identify as ace rather than just characters who don't seem to have sex.

I dont think it would be terribly common and most stories would by default make it a friendship or a romantic. 

PurveyorOfBadPuns
Just now, Sherlocks said:

I dont think it would be terribly common and most stories would by default make it a friendship or a romantic. 

It isn't common.  That's why OP asked for recommendations instead of just going to a fanfic site, lol.

Archived