Anyone here have a platonic cuddle buddy?

Sunflowerfield

Sunflowerfield

Does anyone here have a platonic cuddle buddy, or did in the past? I am primarily looking for people who met cuddle buddies through the internet or an app, but would also be open to hearing stories of people who cuddle their friends or tried finding people through their existing networks.

I would like to do a blog post with people's experiences and stories about platonic cuddling - especially what it was like for them the first time, the fears they had to overcome, and any advice they would give to other newbies.

I would be happy to use pseudonyms or just keep the testimonials anonymous, if you would prefer. :)

Please send me a PM or comment on this post if you're interested!

nerdperson777

Wait a minute, I just answered this elsewhere...I guess you posted that too.

Professional cuddlers might be something to include in your blog. I know that Cuddle Sanctuary in Los Angeles, California and Cuddle Up To Me in Portland, Oregon are a couple of the big ones leading the charge on making it a fully legitimate industry, and they're very strict about everything being platonic.

That said, I'm a generally very cuddly person. I do have occasional romantic feelings toward my most favored cuddle partner, but we maintain a solid friendship, and there are others I also happily cuddle and hug. I have generally been to shy to seek out strangers to cuddle with, though.

Sunflowerfield

Thanks nerdperson777 and Bezzy-Loo! I appreciate it. :-)

No... but I would want one 

I like to cuddle 

Part of the fun benefits of dating 

You get to cuddle with someone 

On 1/30/2017 at 3:04 AM, Bezzy-Loo said:

Professional cuddlers might be something to include in your blog. I know that Cuddle Sanctuary in Los Angeles, California and Cuddle Up To Me in Portland. Oregon are a couple of the big ones leading the charge on making it a fully legitimate industry, and they're very strict about everything being platonic.

That said, I'm a generally very cuddly person. I do have occasional romantic feelings toward my most favored cuddle partner, but we maintain a solid friendship, and there are others I also happily cuddle and hug. I have generally been to shy to seek out strangers to cuddle with, though.

Wait... This isnt a real occupation is it? 

I don't really know if this counts for what you want, but my best friends and I have always been very big on cuddling- and we've all shared beds in the past. We didn't meet through the internet though- my closest friend and I have known each other since we were four, and the other friend has been friends with us for about six years now? And I guess intimacy isn't so weird amongst friends when you're younger, so we've always been used to it with each other. It's also not so much a "we are platonic cuddle buddies"thing as a "we trust each other and it's cold and I'm tired" thing.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:54 PM, Sherlocks said:

Wait... This isnt a real occupation is it? 

Yes, professional cuddling is a real and growing industry through which one can make money.

3 minutes ago, Bezzy-Loo said:

Yes, professional cuddling is a real and growing industry through which one can make money.

That is a lot of money to just cuddle with someone

http://thesnugglebuddies.com/pricing/

Thats like the most amazing thing 

Hermit Advocate

Yes, my cat. Best cuddle buddy I could ever ask for. 

17 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

That is a lot of money to just cuddle with someone

http://thesnugglebuddies.com/pricing/

Thats like the most amazing thing 

Pricing varies from place to place and person to person. It does tend to look like a lot, though. The thing to consider is that in many cases, these people have gone through serious training so as to be as open and accepting as possible while also maintaining their own safety, training to correct a lot of misconceptions, training to know what sorts of positions will generally be best for people in different situations (client's size, possible traumas, things like Autism, etc), and even how to most politely suggest someone take a shower, or help a client get rid of an accidental erection without shaming them about it. Some actually get referrals from mental health therapists. They also have to carefully maintain their own physical and mental health to avoid passing any problems on to a client. Plus, it's crazy how much it costs for a business (including work-from-home freelance) to simply exist.

Is the topic term an oxymoron?  I mean, how can someone enjoy the act of cuddling without romantic feelings?

scarletlatitude

I've considered it, but I'd prefer romantic cuddling. And I don't know that I'd be able to separate the two. 

I have a friend who is very physically affectionate. I am too. We cuddle when she comes over, usually in front of Netflix. There's no romantic attraction between us. We're both asexual.

LouTheElephant

I wish I had a cuddle buddy. Sometimes I feel so touch-starved it's painful. I would be a little bit afraid that I would develop romantic feelings for the person but it would depend on the person I guess. You never really know. :T 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 6:48 PM, Ayla.. said:

That sounds pretty...dangerous? Come sleep over a stranger's house and cuddle them for 8 hours straight XD idk

The professionals are encouraged to do various things to ensure their safety, which clients are made aware of - things like having a self-defense device on them, having timed check-ins with codewords, etc. Clients are welcome to do the same.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:04 AM, Muledeer said:

Is the topic term an oxymoron?  I mean, how can someone enjoy the act of cuddling without romantic feelings?

Many of us do it all the time. I'm very cuddly with friends, absolutely zero romantic feelings.

There are apps for platonically cuddling people???

i have a nest guy friend who cuddles with me platonically. It's really nice, and we both enjoy being able to be close without it being romantic or sexual. 

ButterfliesOnWatch

Warning: potentially overly long and specific example below. I could put in a TL;DR, but that would require too much effort and I should probably get back to studying for the 2 exams I have on Wednesday...

I have several friends that I cuddle with.

In the interest of not writing a ridicuously long post, I'll focus on one friend in particular.(If you want more information or stories about other friends, PM me.)

We cuddle occasionally and have even shared a bed with a few times. We're at the same college and both live on campus. We met through a sports team (he's on the men's team and I'm on the women's team, but our teams hang out a lot) and got to talking and hanging out one day at dinner. He's either bi- or pansexual (he's told me both at various points, and it's unclear if he's using them interchangeably or if he has changed how he identifies) and in an open long distance romantic relationship. He knows I'm ace (or at least I think I am, anyway). We have talked (more than once, actually) about how we don't expect this to become romantic. 

The first time we cuddled and the first time he asked if I wanted to sleep over, I was a little afraid that I was going to get in over my head and romantic feelings would develop, but that hasn't happened. I was also worried that people would judge us. I do know that some of our teammates thought we were dating (I think we've successfully put down those rumors) and some have told me that they think we should date (apparently we look cute together?). Why must people always assume male-female friendships are romantic and/or sexual relationships? When Harry Met Sally is a movie, people. Men and women can be friends.  

I think we first started cuddling because the easiest way to watch Avatar The Last Airbender on a laptop screen in a dorm room is to cuddle on the bed. We've gotten to the point where "Hey, want to hang out?" is pretty much understood to mean "I want to cuddle. You in?" 

Cuddling is sometimes a reaction to one of us (almost always me) having emotional issues (I've dealt with anxiety and depression in the past and sometimes still have brief periods of symptoms) and sometimes just that we want to talk because we're friends and that's what friends do, right? Talk and cuddle? That's what I do with most of my friends. 

We agree that platonic cuddling is underrated by society in general, but I've never asked him why he likes cuddling. I like cuddling because it's comforting and it feels good. It's nice to know that there is someone who cares about me and trusts me enough to be that close to me, and it's nice to let my guard down every once in a while. I also feel like we can just cuddle and exist and I don't have to talk. He's warm, which is cool in the winter (sorry, that pun didn't work very well, but I'm leaving it anyway). Also, a steady heartbeat might be one of the most relaxing sounds ever. 

I love cuddling and tend to be very touchy-feely with my friends. It actually got to the point that after high school and my friends and I all went our separate ways for college, I went through serious touch withdrawal. Sure, extended cuddling and suchlike can lead to romantic feelings for me, but having those feelings isn't a requirement for wanting to hug and cuddle with someone. I struggle to get through life when I don't have regular physical contact with people. I have a roommate that is the same way, and we help each other out by just sitting together or laying together. 

On 2/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, strangeman said:

https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/about-us

Has both professionals and not...   and not enough members in my area at all...
I would be very pleased to find a cuddle partner--  I'm wracked for the lack.

Here's another. http://www.certifiedcuddlers.com/findacuddler/

• 6 months later...
Thoseconfusingfeelings
On 14/02/2017 at 1:58 PM, LouTheElephant said:

I wish I had a cuddle buddy. Sometimes I feel so touch-starved it's painful. I would be a little bit afraid that I would develop romantic feelings for the person but it would depend on the person I guess. You never really know. :T 

I definitely relate to ur feeling of being touched starved 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cuddle buddy. She is a homo-romantic ace, we cuddle and watch tv, go out and do things like concerts or whatever. One of the if not the best friend I have ever had.

The Drafting Ninja

I don't like cuddling people.  Kittens on the other hand, or even puppies!  Then again there are only a few out there that wouldn't cuddle a puppy.

darkwinterbird
On 2/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Muledeer said:

I would want to be in love with my cuddle buddy.  But then they'd be more than a buddy.

Archived