Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Julia Schwartz
6 minutes ago, smittyw said:

I am taking Calc BC tomorrow and i agree, it is the absolute worst! I have finished all my other AP tests though, so I am mostly relieved. Good luck on yours! ^^

Which AP Exam has been the hardest in your opinion? For me it was probably Calc or APUSH last year. So many things to remember... Agh!!

Yikes, I'm taking APUSH next year and we already have a ton of summer reading 😂

CierraJasmineJ
7 minutes ago, smittyw said:

I am taking Calc BC tomorrow and i agree, it is the absolute worst! I have finished all my other AP tests though, so I am mostly relieved. Good luck on yours! ^^

Which AP Exam has been the hardest in your opinion? For me it was probably Calc or APUSH last year. So many things to remember... Agh!!

AHHH good luck! I’m only taking AB and that’s enough of a struggle for me. Last year I took chemistry, and that was the absolute worst! 

Just now, Julia Schwartz said:

noooo already?? that's terrible... That class requires a lot of reading but I don't remember almost any of it. Why is my memory like this??

1 minute ago, CierraJasmineJ said:

AHHH good luck! I’m only taking AB and that’s enough of a struggle for me. Last year I took chemistry, and that was the absolute worst! 

At least this year there will be no questions about banana counting or potato temperatures. Lol

I've heard chemistry is the hardest AP class at my school, so good on you for taking it! I am glad I didn't take chem or physics because I am no good at that stuff. Calc is kicking my butt enough as it is.

SpACEd Out

I took the ap bio exam today and I thought it was harder than the apush exam which I took on Friday... but I actually did love both of the courses!

SpACEd Out
9 minutes ago, Julia Schwartz said:

Ever heard of Jocz videos? If not, you probably will soon....

11 minutes ago, SpACEd Out said:

Ever heard of Jocz videos? If not, you probably will soon....

I have not seen Jocz videos but I love Crash Course. John Green talks very fast but he manages to fit all the content you need to know into a few minutes per chapter, which is beyond me!

Julia Schwartz
6 minutes ago, smittyw said:

I have not seen Jocz videos but I love Crash Course. John Green talks very fast but he manages to fit all the content you need to know into a few minutes per chapter, which is beyond me!

Yess, John Green is my go-to man. I must look up Jocz 

• Like 1
Neutral nerd

Does anyone else feel that history shouldn't be required? It can't really be applied in most jobs, and is just another class straining the mental state of students (imo). My high school requires 4 years of history for the advanced diploma, which means I'll have to do it every year instead of the classes I actually want to take. I'm ahead of my peers in terms of math, am a freshman doing math analysis and will do BC Calc then multiparty calc (dual enrollment) my junior year. I'll probably be doing more history-my least fave subject- than math, my fave subject, in high school. I don't need to know about some old people in Rome, why do I need to know this when it will NEVER APPLY TO ME? It doesn't make sense 😫

Julia Schwartz
6 minutes ago, Neutral nerd said:

Does anyone else feel that history shouldn't be required? It can't really be applied in most jobs, and is just another class straining the mental state of students (imo). My high school requires 4 years of history for the advanced diploma, which means I'll have to do it every year instead of the classes I actually want to take. I'm ahead of my peers in terms of math, am a freshman doing math analysis and will do BC Calc then multiparty calc (dual enrollment) my junior year. I'll probably be doing more history-my least fave subject- than math, my fave subject, in high school. I don't need to know about some old people in Rome, why do I need to know this when it will NEVER APPLY TO ME? It doesn't make sense 😫

I know! I'm a freshman too, I'll take dual credit Calculus 1 and 2 my junior year and 3 and 4 my senior year. That's enough for a minor in math at most universities here. I like history, but I'd rather take physics and psychology instead of 4 years of the same old stuff about white dudes who died 300 years ago. Also, what's the difference between AB and BC? I'm not familiar with those terms

Hayis4horses
22 minutes ago, Neutral nerd said:

I am also a freshman, but I like my history class because it is not your traditional history class. We get to learn about current issues affecting us right now, and how they came to be. 

Hayis4horses

Also, on an unrelated note, could someone please give me some examples of flirting? I have no idea how to recognize it. I was just wondering if people have ever flirted with me and I have been completely oblivious. Or if I have seemed like I was flirting with someone, when I had no idea.

46 minutes ago, Neutral nerd said:

Unpopular opinion here, but I think history is, and will always be, relevant and applicable to everyone. I used to be the same way, I thought history was the most boring class and didn't want to spend any extra time on it. I still sometimes get very bored by certain historical subjects, but I have learned from a few very good history teachers in high school that the white-dude-focused history lessons are not all there is. Once you get into somewhat recent history, and/or focus on the parts that interest you, you will find that the women, POC, and other notable but often ignored minorities of history were doing some great and interesting things too. 

Plus, in this political climate, we need more people (ahem, more VOTERS!) who are critical thinkers in regards to history as well as current events and the patterns between the two. I.E., we cannot afford more Kanye's in this country who will deny or willfully ignore the truth of past events in order to support people in power who can easily make the same mistakes over again. Not to get too political or anything... obviously this mindset applies to people of any political or ideological leanings.

It is surprising to me that your school requires all four years though, I guess at my school we don't have the "advanced diploma". I was not required to take history freshman year so I took AP Human Geography (basically history anyway, but whatever).

46 minutes ago, Julia Schwartz said:

I know! I'm a freshman too, I'll take dual credit Calculus 1 and 2 my junior year and 3 and 4 my senior year. That's enough for a minor in math at most universities here. I like history, but I'd rather take physics and psychology instead of 4 years of the same old stuff about white dudes who died 300 years ago. Also, what's the difference between AB and BC? I'm not familiar with those terms

??????? Why is everyone here a math genius??? My school does not even offer more than the first two years of calc!!!

Calc AB= calc 1, and BC= calc 2, at least from what I know. According to the internet it could be something like AB= calc 1 and some of calc 2, BC=2 and some of 3, etc. I've heard that the next class to take in college is "Calc C".

3 minutes ago, Hayis4horses said:

Also, on an unrelated note, could someone please give me some examples of flirting? I have no idea how to recognize it. I was just wondering if people have ever flirted with me and I have been completely oblivious. Or if I have seemed like I was flirting with someone, when I had no idea.

Yo I am on the same page. Maybe this page can be helpful since I am not: Flirting vs being friendly

SpACEd Out
4 minutes ago, smittyw said:

??????? Why is everyone here a math genius??? My school does not even offer more than the first two years of calc!!!

Calc AB= calc 1, and BC= calc 2, at least from what I know. According to the internet it could be something like AB= calc 1 and some of calc 2, BC=2 and some of 3, etc. I've heard that the next class to take in college is "Calc C".

Right?!? Y'all are brilliant and I'm here taking precalc hoping I won't fail my test on Wednesday.....

also, re history, I think that there is importance to recognizing past problems to avoid repeating them and to better understand how, as a society, we got to where we are today. Especially with regards to attempting to eliminate unfair prejudice and hate due to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc 

• Like 1
Hayis4horses
3 minutes ago, smittyw said:

At my school it is even more simple: for the first 3 years kids just take Math 1, Math 2, and Math 3. Also, if you like a harder class (not me), Advanced Math 1, Advanced Math 2, and Advanced Math 3. The Advanced Math classes just go faster than the Math classes. And Advanced Math let's you pick BC Calc instead of AB Calc in your senior year, if you want, but there are many other senior year math options.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hayis4horses said:

At my school it is even more simple: for the first 3 years kids just take Math 1, Math 2, and Math 3. Also, if you like a harder class (not me), Advanced Math 1, Advanced Math 2, and Advanced Math 3. The Advanced Math classes just go faster than the Math classes. And Advanced Math let's you pick BC Calc instead of AB Calc in your senior year, if you want, but there are many other senior year math options.

Wow, that is very simplified. How would you know what subject you are learning then, if Math 1 could be anything from algebra to trig? Seems confusing to me, haha.

Some seniors at my school have already passed BC Calc in their junior year, and had to go "backwards" and take Statistics for their final year instead. It's because we don't have enough teachers (or willing students) to start a higher level calculus class, and tbh the teachers we do have are pretty bad (they are in their first and second year, respectively, of teaching the subject, and are not doing well at it; our original calc teacher was so good she left our school to teach at a university instead, and now we are left here to suffer without her...).

Hayis4horses
3 minutes ago, smittyw said:

Wow, that is very simplified. How would you know what subject you are learning then, if Math 1 could be anything from algebra to trig? Seems confusing to me, haha.

Some seniors at my school have already passed BC Calc in their junior year, and had to go "backwards" and take Statistics for their final year instead. It's because we don't have enough teachers (or willing students) to start a higher level calculus class, and tbh the teachers we do have are pretty bad (they are in their first and second year, respectively, of teaching the subject, and are not doing well at it; our original calc teacher was so good she left our school to teach at a university instead, and now we are left here to suffer without her...).

For us I think Statistics is also an option for a math class that you can take senior year. Also, I am in Math 1 and we just finished doing a unit on vectors.

Espadoodle

Yooooo I'm new to this section. Whuddup? XD (I'm awkward and this took me half an hour to send this but I wanna make friends)

• Like 1
Hayis4horses
5 minutes ago, Espadoodle said:

Yooooo I'm new to this section. Whuddup? XD (I'm awkward and this took me half an hour to send this but I wanna make friends)

Wassup. I have a cousin who thinks a lot of things she does is awkward, too. :D Basically since I got here (a few weeks ago), I have noticed that we just talk about random things in our lives. So, feel free to contribute. :lol:

• Like 1
Julia Schwartz
25 minutes ago, SpACEd Out said:

Right?!? Y'all are brilliant and I'm here taking precalc hoping I won't fail my test on Wednesday.....

also, re history, I think that there is importance to recognizing past problems to avoid repeating them and to better understand how, as a society, we got to where we are today. Especially with regards to attempting to eliminate unfair prejudice and hate due to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc 

On history, I totally agree. It's important for everyone to understand why past civilizations and people failed and how to avoid their mistakes to make life here better for every person, regardless of gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, or anything else.

Julia Schwartz
36 minutes ago, smittyw said:

Unpopular opinion here, but I think history is, and will always be, relevant and applicable to everyone. I used to be the same way, I thought history was the most boring class and didn't want to spend any extra time on it. I still sometimes get very bored by certain historical subjects, but I have learned from a few very good history teachers in high school that the white-dude-focused history lessons are not all there is. Once you get into somewhat recent history, and/or focus on the parts that interest you, you will find that the women, POC, and other notable but often ignored minorities of history were doing some great and interesting things too. 

Plus, in this political climate, we need more people (ahem, more VOTERS!) who are critical thinkers in regards to history as well as current events and the patterns between the two. I.E., we cannot afford more Kanye's in this country who will deny or willfully ignore the truth of past events in order to support people in power who can easily make the same mistakes over again. Not to get too political or anything... obviously this mindset applies to people of any political or ideological leanings.

It is surprising to me that your school requires all four years though, I guess at my school we don't have the "advanced diploma". I was not required to take history freshman year so I took AP Human Geography (basically history anyway, but whatever).

Ugh, yes. So many people don't vote and don't think enough to realize that they support the people who could easily send us back into the days of dictatorships (cough cough everyone knows exactly who I'm talking about). This shouldn't be an us vs them political issue, it should be something everyone knows and tries to avoid. Also, your math system makes way more sense than ours!  

• Like 1
Julia Schwartz
11 minutes ago, Espadoodle said:

Hi! I'm awkward too, as is pretty much everyone here. I've only been here for a couple of months, but we basically just talk about whatever. Have some cake 🍰🍰 and dm me if you wanna talk! I need more friends

1 hour ago, Espadoodle said:

Welcome to teen corner, the teeniest corner of a very large and confusing assortment of corners called the AVEN forums. Hahah.

I like the little fluffy dog in your profile pic! Is it yours?

Espadoodle
1 minute ago, smittyw said:

Welcome to teen corner, the teeniest corner of a very large and confusing assortment of corners called the AVEN forums. Hahah.

I like the little fluffy dog in your profile pic! Is it yours?

XD Yea he's mine, his name is Lucky lol

Espadoodle
1 hour ago, Julia Schwartz said:

Hi! I'm awkward too, as is pretty much everyone here. I've only been here for a couple of months, but we basically just talk about whatever. Have some cake 🍰🍰 and dm me if you wanna talk! I need more friends

Ahah same tho

Espadoodle
1 hour ago, Hayis4horses said:

Wassup. I have a cousin who thinks a lot of things she does is awkward, too. :D Basically since I got here (a few weeks ago), I have noticed that we just talk about random things in our lives. So, feel free to contribute. :lol:

Alrighty xD

• Like 1

I MET ANOTHER ACE PERSON

HE'S ARO I THINK

• Like 1