Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

1 hour ago, SamTheSheep said:

I have nothing actually important to add, but once when my teacher announced we'd be doing sex ed, and my friend yells "she's ace, she doesn't need this!" I'm not really out, but my class is pretty loud so no one heard. That was not at all relevant, but I thought it was funny.

That does sound kind of funny. 

• Like 1

I didn't even need to go to sex ed.

It wasn't mandatory or even recommended for me.

Everybody had to learn about it in my school so we all got the lessons on sex and stuff and I sat through them as a 12yr old ace (who didn’t know what asexuality was at the time) praying for it all to be over

• Like 3
darkestshadeofblue21
4 hours ago, Gingerpud said:

Hello and welcome 🧁.

That doesn’t sound very fun, why would they ask you about your sexuality? Surely it should  be obvious that some people don’t want to talk about it. I never like bonding experiences anyway, I find them stressful

i have no idea lol, it was an exercise in diversity and like what people define themselves by but if it was truly promoting diversity/supporting "diverse" people you would think they would say you don't have to answer everything to avoid making people uncomfortable??

• Like 3
darkestshadeofblue21
1 hour ago, Gingerpud said:

Everybody had to learn about it in my school so we all got the lessons on sex and stuff and I sat through them as a 12yr old ace (who didn’t know what asexuality was at the time) praying for it all to be over

same thing for me like it was required but it didn't rly mean anything to me so everyone else was all giggly and i was just like bro what that sounds nasty tbh

i didn't know what asexuality was either at that point so i just thought sex was just a thing everyone secretly hated but did anyway to seem cool lol

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

i just thought sex was just a thing everyone secretly hated but did anyway to seem cool

Pretty much my explanation for why people had sex; I didn't really think people hated it but I definitely thought they only did it to be cool.

I was not repulsed or disgusted by sex in any way during my meager sex ed though, more of an sense of interest in finally someone explaining how evolution (by sexual selection) could even work followed by an idea of "Great, now I understand Darwin better, but why would I ever feel compelled to do it? How does this impact my life?" 

Bizarrely I already had had to sit though a discussion in school about AIDS before I even was given the talk by my parents about sex. School taught me about AIDS but didn't teach me about sex. I think they probably should have taught me about sex as a basic prerequisite for teaching me about AIDS.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

i have no idea lol, it was an exercise in diversity and like what people define themselves by but if it was truly promoting diversity/supporting "diverse" people you would think they would say you don't have to answer everything to avoid making people uncomfortable??

In Canada we hear about diversity and tolerance all the time but asexuality seems to be overlooked...

• Like 2
darkestshadeofblue21
3 minutes ago, will123 said:

In Canada we hear about diversity and tolerance all the time but asexuality seems to be overlooked...

you saying that just made me realize that i've never actual heard anyone say the word "asexual" or "asexuality" irl/in person ever before in my life, which is really sad. of course people say like gay, lesbian, bi, trans, non-binary, even pan, which is great, but asexual never seems to be mentioned. i guess i've only heard/seen it on the internet which is insane.

so yeah, we are obviously a minority but i think we are severely underrepresented, even with our small numbers. if it was more mainstream it probably would have saved a lot of people, including me, from a lot of confusion and rough times. 

• Like 2

Tbh I was fine with sex ed. Because basically until I found out about Le Sexual Attraction TM I just always assumed that everyone was as neutral to the whole thing as I was and you would only start wanting to have sex as soon as you're not a virgin anymore... Idk it made sense in my head lol. That's also why the whole "waiting until marriage"-thing made sense to me because why would I sleep with someone when I don't know whether they want to be with me forever?

And then the Internet changed everything lmao

• Like 1
17 hours ago, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

thanks for the welcome!! yeah it was not a fun time lol. when i came out to my friend who’s bi (the only person i’ve come out to) i found out that there’s like a whole underground lgbtq community?? in my sophomore class of like 130 there’s 1 ace (me), 2 lesbians, a trans guy who’s also bi (but he left last year) and 8 bi girls (and also probably others that we don’t know about). a total of like 4 of them are completely out tho. i go to an all girl school and it’s pretty supportive so i think if people noticed they were trying to be polite which i appreciate lol

edit: i’m new to this and i don’t think i did it right, this is in response to AuraKitty’s response to my post lol

My school is pretty boring in that aspect as well I only know of 2 people who are not straight, but I visited a friend once and went to school with her and maybe 70% of the people in her year were openly non-straight 

2 hours ago, laokatok said:

My school is pretty boring in that aspect as well I only know of 2 people who are not straight, but I visited a friend once and went to school with her and maybe 70% of the people in her year were openly non-straight 

Then I basically all of my friends are lgbt or non-comforming.

I meet 1 of them and soon enough theres 8 more waiting to say hi.

mexicanpotato

My group of friends are straight girls and boys, a gay guy, and three lesbian ibf

no-longer-in-use

All my good friends are queer at this point, and I only have one or two cishet friends in general. (Granted I only have like 5-10 people I would consider friends total, but still.) I think gays attract other gays, lol.

Most of my good friends are part of the community there’s so many of us and I just keep making more great friends who are also lgbtq, a few go to my school but most are from other places 

• Like 1

I think I'm my friend group at school 2 of the 7 people are straight. The funny thing is when we met nobody was out, after one person came out other people did one by one

• Like 2

I know one of my friends is openly bi, but other than that we don't really talk about sexuality that much.  

One of my other friends did offhandedly comment, "I don't get it, do people really look at other people and find them hot?" once, so I think she might be ace, but I haven't actually asked since I'm not out yet myself.  

• Like 1
SophistiKitten

Hi, everyone! This is my first post here. :cake: 

There's a pretty big LGBTQ+ community at my school. There's a GSA(That I am not in due to a conflict in my schedule) which, as far as I'm concerned, is mainly attended by gay, lesbian and bi students as well as allies. The community is really supportive and hosts a lot of pride events. None of my close friends are, as of now, anything but straight, though I do have a lot of non-straight friends as well. I'm still in the closet as far as my sexuality is concerned; I've dropped a few hints about it and my friends were totally supportive of me, but I'm not really planning on coming out any time soon, mainly because there's so little awareness about asexuality even in my school's very liberal, sex-positive and LGBT-supportive community, and I'd be afraid that they might misinterpret my identity or confuse me with aro. When I do come out, it will be to my close friends, so that I'll have the opportunity to explain it to them. But in the meantime, I have my black ring. 

I do know one girl who goes to a different school who's openly panromantic/asexual, who's previously considered herself aro as well. she's pretty open about it on social media. She doesn't know that I'm ace. I'm secretly grateful for her because I wasn't too aware of asexuality before she came out and was struggling with my identity for a while. Apart from that, I personally do not know any other aces.

• Like 2
On 8/30/2019 at 3:32 PM, Member114264 said:

I didn't even need to go to sex ed.

It wasn't mandatory or even recommended for me.

Same

@SophistiKitten Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

Have a cake (it's AVEN tradition to give people pictures of cake when they join):cake.jpg

• Like 2

@SophistiKitten hello and welcome!

My school is also very supportive of the community, taking part in local pride events but they don’t talk about asexuality either.

Here’s some cake 🍰 

• Like 1
coelacanthiformes
On 8/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, SophistiKitten said:

Hi, everyone! This is my first post here. :cake: 

Hi @SophistiKitten! @Gingerpud said it all, but welcome to AVEN! This community has been awesome for me and I hope you'll have fun too! Here is a cat cake based on your pfp and username.

63f403bfea19cb38656dc10eb2f8898f.jpg

• Like 3
Miss_Bookworm

My (close) friend group consists of a bi, 2 straights, 2 pans (one of whom is demi-romantic), and me: a panromantic-ace. I also have a really close friend who isn't sure what her sexuality is but she knows that girls are pretty😂

• Like 1
On 8/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

found out that there’s like a whole underground lgbtq community?? in my sophomore class of like 130 there’s 1 ace (me), 2 lesbians, a trans guy who’s also bi (but he left last year) and 8 bi girls (and also probably others that we don’t know about)

Wow. That's actually really interesting.

Cool

My friend group consists of me (aro/ace), a biromantic/ace girl, a pansexual/panromantic girl, and a boy who's straight as far as I know. There were two more girls, but I haven't seen them since fifth grade. Some of my friends have OTHER LGBT+ friends that I don't really talk to. I know one is Lesbian or bi; I don't remember. Interesting that we all ended up together. 

• Like 1
Comrade Kitty

My class is soooooo LGBTQ+, like, its crazy. About 50% of my class is bi, another 10% is just full gay, and another 10% is pan, then like 25% of my class is trans, nonbinary, or agender. We are a super accepting class and its great. My close group of friends is 3 bi, one demiromantic bisexual, one pan, one lesbian, one ace (me), one nonbinary, and one trans. Before I came out, I was "the straight friend" in our group, that is no longer the case, now I am "the ace friend". 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, AuraKitty said:

My class is soooooo LGBTQ+, like, its crazy. About 50% of my class is bi, another 10% is just full gay, and another 10% is pan, then like 25% of my class is trans, nonbinary, or agender. We are a super accepting class and its great. My close group of friends is 3 bi, one demiromantic bisexual, one pan, one lesbian, one ace (me), one nonbinary, and one trans. Before I came out, I was "the straight friend" in our group, that is no longer the case, now I am "the ace friend". 

That's crazy. Good for your class!

And it's funny how there's always the one "straight friend." I used to be that too because I just assumed I was straight since I wasn't gay and, if forced to choose, I would take a romantic relationship with a guy over one with a female-oriented or female-bodied person. I just saw straight as my default, I guess.

• Like 2
Aceupmysleeve4

So basically this is my first post here, and I wanted to say how glad I am that I found this community. Ever since this summer I’ve been completely out as an asexual and have found at least two other people who are ace as well. Finding ace people is hard because not only are we a minority, some of us spend a lot of time not questioning their sexuality because of what is considered normal. 

• Like 3
Miss_Bookworm
1 hour ago, Aceupmysleeve4 said:

So basically this is my first post here, and I wanted to say how glad I am that I found this community. Ever since this summer I’ve been completely out as an asexual and have found at least two other people who are ace as well. Finding ace people is hard because not only are we a minority, some of us spend a lot of time not questioning their sexuality because of what is considered normal. 

Welcome to AVEN!!! Have some cake! :cake:

That's amazing how you've been able to find other ace's, whether they were online or in your area!

@Aceupmysleeve4 welcome. I hope you enjoy it here. I've never met another ace in the flesh, it's nice to know they're out there.

We give people images of cake when they join. So here's a cake that blew my mind:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxHKd_952HI1OQJ6GkdCT

Hi! I am new here and this is my first time trying to meet other people on the internet but I am hoping to meet other asexuals. I have never seen another asexual in real life so yeah it's kind of lonely.

Edited by Art333
  • Like 2