Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Thankfully my HS didn't talk about that in biology that I know of.

purpleflavoredpi

For organization, @mexicanpotato, I personally love color coding. A specific color for each class, with a folder, notebook, and post-it notes for each class in their color. I'm not very organized but that's how I try

Speaking of music again, I am now claiming Fun Fun Fun by the Beach Boys as aroace.

"'Cause she walks looks and drives like an ace now" and

"A lotta guys try to catch her
But she leads them on a wild goose chase now"

It's not a perfect fit especially at the end of the song, but I don't care it's ace now

On 8/18/2019 at 4:49 PM, iyote said:

I listen to cavetown and Cosmo Sheldrake sometimes.  

Oh, and Lord Huron.  

i also listen to cosmo sheldrake, his music is so good. other than that, my favorite band is bastille 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, •◡• said:

We just got Brave New World today I am hoping it will show others what is like to be sex repulsed. I'm already uncomfortable though

this probably isn't very reassuring if you haven't read brave new world before (sorry), but i dont think it shows sex repulsion very well. im biased though, i hated that book, so maybe you'll find it different?

@Lbelaqua I have read it. It made me uncomfortable, I was hoping it would have the same affect on others

1 minute ago, •◡• said:

@Lbelaqua I have read it. It made me uncomfortable, I was hoping it would have the same affect on others

ah ok, that makes sense. i thought you were referring to how, if i remember correctly (it's been a while since i read it) there is a character who is uncomfortable with sex. (i might be wrong? like i said, its been a while since i read it)

I've read it and it made me very uncomfortable.

There is a character who is more uncomfortable with sex than the others. They aren't completely uncomfortable though

22 hours ago, •◡• said:

We just got Brave New World today I am hoping it will show others what is like to be sex repulsed. I'm already uncomfortable though

I don’t know what Brave New World is. Could you explain?

8 hours ago, mexicanpotato said:

Since you were talking about music...I listen to lots of pop, 1D and their solo carrers, Sabrina Carpenter, Rita Ora, Troye Sivan, Little Mix....

Ugh yes, I have biology this year and haven't checked the book...I just wish that we don't have anything related to reproduction...unless is ace hahah

And talking about school...any tips on organization?

Both years of bio (AP and pre-AP) didn’t have anything on the organs themselves, besides 1 packet that the teacher made that went over penis extension (luckily it only went over the cell pathway that caused it and didn’t show any pictures) and the menstral cycle. Sadly I’m not lucky this year since my anatomy class has an entire unit dedicated to it (I tempted to just take a 0 for that test and I will legit skip class if there is a dissection day in that unit).

Speaking as a very non-teen I'm rather shocked to find that Brave New World is on a school literature curriculum. 

purpleflavoredpi

I guess it just depends on the school, for me senior year a majority of the books were very sexual. We could choose between Brave New World and Handmaid's Take, and a lot of the short stories we read were pretty explicit.

Miss_Bookworm
On 8/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

I checked my anatomy textbook today and saw that the last unit in the class is on reproductive organs.... My sex repulsed mind is not going to enjoy that unit one bit.

Oh no! I have Anatomy next semester... I'm not looking forward to that unit

mexicanpotato

Hey guys!!!

I just made a post on the Off-A section called Amazonia where I share some tips to be more eco-friendly :)

Can you check it out?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, purpleflavoredpi said:

For organization, @mexicanpotato, I personally love color coding. A specific color for each class, with a folder, notebook, and post-it notes for each class in their color. I'm not very organized but that's how I try

Oh, thankssss I'll try it

On 8/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Both years of bio (AP and pre-AP) didn’t have anything on the organs themselves, besides 1 packet that the teacher made that went over penis extension (luckily it only went over the cell pathway that caused it and didn’t show any pictures) and the menstral cycle. Sadly I’m not lucky this year since my anatomy class has an entire unit dedicated to it (I tempted to just take a 0 for that test and I will legit skip class if there is a dissection day in that unit).

Ughhh, I have friends that love to search for penis pictures and it makes me really uncomfortable. They're straight girls, a gay guy and a straight guy who's searching to see if they have it bigger than them...grossssss

Then my friends just watch Voltron and ship Keith and Lance.

While I'm just laughing at Pidge's antics.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, mexicanpotato said:

Ughhh, I have friends that love to search for penis pictures and it makes me really uncomfortable. They're straight girls, a gay guy and a straight guy who's searching to see if they have it bigger than them...grossssss

Ewwww, why would anyone want to willingly look at pictures of that? I’m not going to bother asking why the size matters.

mexicanpotato
22 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Ewwww, why would anyone want to willingly look at pictures of that? I’m not going to bother asking why the size matters.

Is gross..I hate when that happen so I just stare at my phone, I think that because of that they think I'm a lesbian

• Like 1
Miss_Bookworm
On 8/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, Member114264 said:

Then my friends just watch Voltron and ship Keith and Lance.

While I'm just laughing at Pidge's antics.

Pidge is my spirit animal😂😂😂

• Like 2

BTW slightly off topic but I came out to some of my friends a month ago. We were playing some game and everyone had to say who out of our group they think is not straight. And almost everyone said my name and when I asked some of them they were like "I get some serious bi-vibes from you" like okaaaay :'D

And that got me thinking, being bi is pretty much the opposite to being ace but at the same time they're very much alike since you don't like one gender more than the other. I think that's interesting

36 minutes ago, laokatok said:

being bi is pretty much the opposite to being ace but at the same time they're very much alike since you don't like one gender more than the other.

While I do know a lot of people have had similar experiences as you have, that analogy kind of breaks down for heteromantics or homoromantics. Being a (probably) heteromantic asexual I do not want sex with anyone, but I think it would be nice to some day be in a relationship with someone and if she was sexual I may have sex with her if she really wanted/needed to have sex.

If a male friend asked to have sex with me I would decline instantly, since being heteromantic I harbour no romantic feelings for him. If a female friend asked to have sex with me I would still probably decline unless we were in some form of relationship involving romantic feelings, then I would have to think about it for a bit -- balancing in my mind my love of someone versus my own disinterest.

• Like 1

Hm you're right. I guess I mean either strictly seen from a sexual point of view with no romantic feelings involved or concerning aroaces. Obviously being in a relationship with someone makes an exception to that.

• Like 1

I learned recently that two of my crushes thought I was gay for around 4 years. That explains so much

• Like 1
mexicanpotato

My friends are constantly debating wheter I'm straight or lesbian

Also, I think I have a kind of platonic crush? I don't know what it is but there's this girl and I want to like hug her and talk to her till we fall asleep and then eat ice cream with her but I don't think is a crush because there's like no romance/sex involved so I really don't know what it is

But it also happens really often, like I see someone and I may be like "I would like to meet you and have a pretty strong bond with you" but it like fades away in a day? I don't know...orientations and stuff is hardddd

• Like 1
Comrade Kitty
2 minutes ago, mexicanpotato said:

My friends are constantly debating wheter I'm straight or lesbian

Also, I think I have a kind of platonic crush? I don't know what it is but there's this girl and I want to like hug her and talk to her till we fall asleep and then eat ice cream with her but I don't think is a crush because there's like no romance/sex involved so I really don't know what it is

But it also happens really often, like I see someone and I may be like "I would like to meet you and have a pretty strong bond with you" but it like fades away in a day? I don't know...orientations and stuff is hardddd

Platonic crushes are called squishes. Usually they don't come and go that often, but you know, everyone is different. 

darkestshadeofblue21

sup y'all i don't actually have anything meaningful or important to say but uhhhh yeah i'm here and there's nothing you can do about it. 

im in the beginning of my sophomore year and so far it's one (1) enormous yike. last week we did this Class Bonding Experience™ where they randomly assigned groups of like 10 and we each got this paper that had a stupid wheel thingy called 16 Facets of Identity and it was just things like cultural background, siblings, hobbies, sexuality, and we had to fill it out and read it to the group and so basically it was just big stress times. i'm at a stage where i feel bad flat out lying about my sexuality because i don't want to be ashamed but at the same time i don't know how people would react since there's never been a completely out ace kid at my school so my dumb ass decided to just conveniently skip the sexuality part lol. people either didn't notice or didn't care enough to say anything but i still had a panic attack afterwards yay we love anxiety.

and that concludes my fun anecdote woah this is way longer than i expected hi wow you're still here thanks

• Like 5
Comrade Kitty
3 minutes ago, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

sup y'all i don't actually have anything meaningful or important to say but uhhhh yeah i'm here and there's nothing you can do about it. 

im in the beginning of my sophomore year and so far it's one (1) enormous yike. last week we did this Class Bonding Experience™ where they randomly assigned groups of like 10 and we each got this paper that had a stupid wheel thingy called 16 Facets of Identity and it was just things like cultural background, siblings, hobbies, sexuality, and we had to fill it out and read it to the group and so basically it was just big stress times. i'm at a stage where i feel bad flat out lying about my sexuality because i don't want to be ashamed but at the same time i don't know how people would react since there's never been a completely out ace kid at my school so my dumb ass decided to just conveniently skip the sexuality part lol. people either didn't notice or didn't care enough to say anything but i still had a panic attack afterwards yay we love anxiety.

and that concludes my fun anecdote woah this is way longer than i expected hi wow you're still here thanks

I'm sorry, that sounds horrible. Why does it ask your sexuality!?! That's so personal! If it were my class, like 4 of the kids would have been bi, one would have been gay, and one would have been pan. I have a weird class. And if you didn't answer that in my class, kids would have asked, cause people don't want to assume, it's weird how much my class cares.

Also, WELCOME TO AVEN! Enjoy some cake!🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰

• Like 1

I have nothing actually important to add, but once when my teacher announced we'd be doing sex ed, and my friend yells "she's ace, she doesn't need this!" I'm not really out, but my class is pretty loud so no one heard. That was not at all relevant, but I thought it was funny.

• Like 8
darkestshadeofblue21

thanks for the welcome!! yeah it was not a fun time lol. when i came out to my friend who’s bi (the only person i’ve come out to) i found out that there’s like a whole underground lgbtq community?? in my sophomore class of like 130 there’s 1 ace (me), 2 lesbians, a trans guy who’s also bi (but he left last year) and 8 bi girls (and also probably others that we don’t know about). a total of like 4 of them are completely out tho. i go to an all girl school and it’s pretty supportive so i think if people noticed they were trying to be polite which i appreciate lol

edit: i’m new to this and i don’t think i did it right, this is in response to AuraKitty’s response to my post lol

Edited by darkestshadeofblue21
oops i think
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, darkestshadeofblue21 said:

Hello and welcome 🧁.

That doesn’t sound very fun, why would they ask you about your sexuality? Surely it should  be obvious that some people don’t want to talk about it. I never like bonding experiences anyway, I find them stressful

• Like 1