Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

a camp in Plymouth VT that I went to (Tamarack Farm) was actually NOT SUPPORTIVE AT ALL. I didn't relate to what the straight kids were talking about and It annoyed me and made me overwhelmingly emotional. Also, the fact that the staff said "you don't have to understand them" just didn't help at all whatsoever. So I went with the queer kids. But here's the drawback-

The kids there, when I told them that I was ace/aro, they kind of had this expression as if to say "ok..I see" and then later the staff who runned that gender group said I made the queer kids uncomfortable. I know my mom has told me to let go of the past, but that still bothers me to this day. Glad that lots of LGBTQIA+ folk add ace/aro under being "queer". Because whatever the staff told me (I don't remember much), had me in tears BIG TIME and I felt very broken hearted and didn't feel welcome or supported in that queer gender group, nor at that camp. Sheesh. so much for a camp not being supportive! Luckily, my mom is supportive, and luckily she and I go to Outright meetings (It's called Seacoast Outright, and it's a group that lots of lgbtqia+ kids go to, I definitely recommend looking up the website). They're really helpful. Gosh, that camp really had me in tears. To this day, I'm still hella shy to come out and am scared of what people might say.

Hayis4horses

@Tiggidou Sorry about that. People can be such jerks. Glad you found a group that is accepting. Have cake. 

Spoiler

Image result for black unicorn cake

Hayis4horses

Hey peeps. Go check out "Ask A Californian" in Off-A. You can ask me all of your questions relating to Cali, or just anything. I'd appreciate it. 😎

Actually lots of the camp staff were mormons. I wouldn’t have ever learned their traditions outside camp.

hey so anyway I worked those weeks & paid off for a laptop. I then proceeded to get viruses from downloading a minecraft map & I SWEAR I felt the DL page was wrong but I was just so tired & nihilistic when I just pushed forward toward my doom. Well I simply reformatted cos it was freaking 2 days new & yknow likely I’m safe now but I’m paranoid about going on it at all.

also I got that laptop mainly because I wanted to try out vocaloid & I was planning on v4 all this time but welp, v5 took over by the time I came back. I got it but don’t know exactly what to do with it, worried it’s too easy & the community will look down on any amateurs starting with that. Above all, if I can muster resolve to get on that PC then I’d love to share work here

My parents are Catholics, but I'm pretty sure that my mom is mostly "spiritual" now. For a while my Dad made us go to church, but eventually we just stopped. My sister lost all pretenses of belonging to a religion, and even stopped saying the dinnertime prayer, but I've been more quiet with my dissent. It's just a performance to me. 

@Tiggidou, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Also, the bit about making them "uncomfortable" is BS. If someone has a problem with you being yourself, that's their deal and not yours. 

My creme brûlée kind of turned out! 

On 7/23/2018 at 6:50 PM, Neutral nerd said:

All these foods that I have no idea what they are... 😅

they sound fancy and/or French 

I have really rich foodie grandparents, so every time we visit them I get educated in various types of gourmet food. Visiting is emotionally taxing on so many different levels, but the food is nice. 

Creme brûlée is a French dish that is a custard with melted sugar on top. The sugar forms a glassy shell, which you have to break before eating. Google it if you're curious.

Gruyere is a cheese from Switzerland that's both slightly sweet and slightly salty at the same time. It's like a cross between parmesan and cheddar, with a bit of Swiss cheese mixed in. (Cheese is hard to describe...) 

Oh if anyone is interested I made an ask a dyslexic thread in off -A.

Answer any questions- even the stupid ones.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:19 PM, izlav said:

Question: Does anyone else have religious parents?

My parents are evangelicals, very dedicated evangelicals.

Hi. My name's Aoife hope you're all doing good :). I've actually on recently found out that asexuality is a thing but it fits so well! It's really nice to know that I'm not just weird. I have a bit of a question. Umm I was talking to my mum and I was like I think I might be asexual because I don't really get attracted to people. And she was like you're not asexual you're just 14! Is she right? Hope you have a great day :)) 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Aoife said:

Hi. My name's Aoife hope you're all doing good :). I've actually on recently found out that asexuality is a thing but it fits so well! It's really nice to know that I'm not just weird. I have a bit of a question. Umm I was talking to my mum and I was like I think I might be asexual because I don't really get attracted to people. And she was like you're not asexual you're just 14! Is she right? Hope you have a great day :)) 

She might be right, but she probably isn’t. If you have any developmental delays then that’s something to consider, but from what I’ve read as well as my personal experience, a neurotypical fourteen year old is probably old enough to draw conclusions about their sexuality or lack thereof. I’m autistic, which may or may not be slowing down my emotional development, and even despite that delay I’ve known I was ace since a few weeks before my fifteenth birthday. (I’m sixteen now.) 

@Aoife Hi, welcome to AVEN:cake:

It'd be tough for any of us to confirm or deny your asexuality. Usually, a good indication that you're asexual is if your friends and peers are starting to develop sexual attraction and you still haven't. If you've reached that stage, then you probably are. It is possible that you might experience those feeling later on and change your label and that's also perfectly fine. I feel like a lot of us here have heard the too young argument more times than we can count so we can all relate to your struggle. Your mom won't be able to use that excuse in a few years. I hope you enjoy yourself around us like-minded aces!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aoife said:

Welcome! Even if you're young, it's okay to identify as asexual if the term fits you. If your feelings change later, that's okay too.

• Like 1
Hayis4horses

@Aoife Welcome and take some cake! :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: I'm not exactly sure when people are supposed to experience sexual attraction. You might be asexual. I think I probably am, but I'm just 15, so I will continue to wait and see.

• Like 1

Is anyone here open about their identities at school? I’m planning on coming out as trans to my teachers before school starts, and then to my classmates when it inevitably comes up that I’m using a different name that’s clearly not derived from the one in my school’s system.

I'm open about being asexual with my friends. That's about it because no one's asked nor has a need of correction needed to be made to any of my peers.

dragon_nerd
On 25 July 2018 at 7:19 PM, izlav said:

Question: Does anyone else have religious parents?

My parents aren't religious, my mum was raised methodist though.

Great Blue Heron

My mom's family is Jewish. About half of the people in my grandparents' generation and older in my dad's family  (including his father) are ministers. At least half of the people in my dad's generation are married to Jews and more than half of my generation is Jewish. My immediate family is Jewish but really it's only me and my mom as my brother and dad kinda don't bother. I'm not sure that I still or maybe ever believe the G-d stuff but I appreciate some of the social teachings.

Colonel Aureliano Buendía

In my mind just now I was like "maybe I shouldn't follow the teen bit, other teenagers spend too much time talking about sex and relationships."

I like this place.

• Like 3
Hayis4horses
1 minute ago, ~Adair~ said:

In my mind just now I was like "maybe I shouldn't follow the teen bit, other teenagers spend too much time talking about sex and relationships."

I like this place.

But, we are not like other teenagers. :P

• Like 2
11 hours ago, nelpogrando said:

Is anyone here open about their identities at school? I’m planning on coming out as trans to my teachers before school starts, and then to my classmates when it inevitably comes up that I’m using a different name that’s clearly not derived from the one in my school’s system.

I'm pretty open now that I'm out to my parents, because now I don't have to worry about something getting back to them. 

@nelpogrando, that's awesome! I know that takes courage, and I wish you luck! 

I second Hayis4horses, we are definitely not like other teens. For one, we're ridiculously into cake. :cake::cake::cake:

• Like 2

My neighbors are Mormon as well and I have always been curious about the religion. But then again, I have been curious about religion in general... it seems like a lot of us here are either agnostic, atheist, or not committed to a religion and I wonder if it is a generational thing, or if it has to do with the way that discovering one's own asexuality links to questioning other generally accepted standards of life that may not apply to you. I've known quite a lot of people my age who are not religious, or at least who don't think of their religion in the same way as their parents do, so it may be something that is changing in society. With the way that politics and other beliefs are so polarized right now, it seems that people generally either have a lot of faith in religion and not much in anything else, or vice versa. That kind of stuff interests me a lot, because generational differences can be so pronounced, and I love to learn about factors that might be behind them.

Also, all of the talk about creme brûlée and Yorkshire pudding and Gruyere cheese makes me feel like I'm watching the Great British Baking Show......and now I'm hungry!!! :cake:

• Like 3
Colonel Aureliano Buendía

I think that the younger generation is mostly a lot less religious than our parents. Hardly anyone I know of my own generation is very religious, and those who are are very secular. It is pretty interesting how generations differ. My parents were both raised religious, and became more secular later in life. Maybe our generation just doesn't trust older people, especially those of us who differ from their norms. Maybe it has something to do with our ability to find community and new ideas on the internet.

• Like 1
Neutral nerd

It may be (at least partially) that as society develops and we learn more, we can have more trust in things that have more evidence that religion does. The suspension of disbelief has to be stronger for those who believe, while most of the rest are unwilling to devote to the rules defined by religion. Does that make any sense?

• Like 2

The main thing that spurred my questioning of my religious beliefs was realizing that the catholic church didn't believe LGBTQ+ people deserved respect. That was before I realized I was ace, but all I could think about when I went to church was the contradiction of "love thy neighbor as thyself" and the church condemning gay people. It just didn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

I don’t honestly remember whether I stopped believing in the Abrahamic god at a certain point, or if I never really believed in him in the first place. I got interested in paganism and witchcraft at some point in middle school, and that ended up sticking.

Hi guys! Quick question, do any of you use the ACEapp? I justness found that it's a thing and don't know whether to try it out or not so yeah do you recommend😃

Hope your all having a good day!

Hayis4horses
4 hours ago, Jazzashark said:

Hi guys! Quick question, do any of you use the ACEapp? I justness found that it's a thing and don't know whether to try it out or not so yeah do you recommend😃

OOOOOOOHHHHH, what is that? It sounds fun. 

4 hours ago, Jazzashark said:

I wanted to, but unfortunately it isn't released for iOS yet. I'll keep waiting....but once it is, I am excited to try it out then too! Hopefully by then its user base will increase enough for it to facilitate local meetups and stuff like that, since I've heard there aren't very many people using it as of right now.