Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

OhDearyMe!
On 6/14/2018 at 5:20 AM, Miss Who said:

So I'm probably never going to date because being hurt would suck.

Don’t think that way. If you want to date, date. And you might find some other aces out there

• Like 1
OhDearyMe!
On 6/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, Sisylle said:

Hey peeps. This has nothing to do with asexuality or anything, but I was wondering if i could get some advice on something (i don’t have anyone to talk to about this). So my family situation is unusual. My mom is living in Canada for now even though my parents are still together and my brother, dad, and I live in California. Recently my dad let me use his phone to do something and i noticed that he has Tinder. I didn’t say anything about it because i didn’t want to start anything, but now I’m not sure if i should say something or just let it go. My parents fight a lot and it’s hard with her being in Canada but I’m mostly sure this is not something she’d condone. What should i do?

I think you should just ask him. It’s better to clear the air. 

• Like 1
On July 7, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Julia Schwartz said:

@Athena32 Thanks again! Your letter was fantastic and you're truly an inspiration. Hopefully I can work on writing one of my own and come out to my parents later this year.

Aww, thanks. If you ever want me to edit, I'm totally willing to. I know I had a person who was already out to their parents help me edit mine, and it'd be great to make a conga line of coming-out letter editors. ;) (That's kind of an amazing mental picture, though…) 

Also, I find it funny that my replacing names with cake emojis make it sound like I literally dated cake. "Cake is my dream boyfriend, so, sorry you all that thought that you had a chance!" 

• Like 1
Hayis4horses

So, I have an Instagram. And you know those things people can repost and put on their stories? Well, I decided to do this one. It is a poll game. So, the people that see my story can vote between two options on what they think is true. The polls are about me and one of them was sexuality. I put pansexual vs asexual. A lot of people voted for pan, actually. But, the point is that there is this boy from school who always says "f*gg*t" and he follows me. He barely ever sees my stories, so I thought not to worry about it. But, he saw this story. Just my luck. He didn't unfollow me or block me or say anything, but I am still stressing a little. Especially since he asked me once at school if I like boys or girls, but luckily I had to say thank you to the teacher, and then he repeated himself, but someone else interrupted him. Anyway, this boy is just making me worry a bit because both of the options I put that could be my sexuality, weren't straight, and now I feel like when school starts that he might do something. I am going to put the real answers to the poll, later, but still that doesn't do anything about this situation. I should have blocked him from seeing my story or something. But, to be honest, I didn't think he would see it. Oh, well, it is probably fine. What can he do? He might forget between now and school starting. And maybe he really isn't as anti-queer as he seems.

OhDearyMe!

@Hayis4horses What's the worst do you think he could do? If he's the only anti-queer person in the school, he can't do much without him loosing quite a bit of friendships and dignity 

He also might not do anything per se as opposed to making some other dumba** comment. But you're right in thinking he might not remember it by the time he next sees you.

@Hayis4horses, I would just ignore him, and if he tries to bother you when school starts, keep a record of it and report him to administration (if they're LGBTQ+ friendly, that is. If it would be more dangerous to report, I don't know what to say). And he doesn't sound great anyway, so why not block him online too? 

@Alexgrace, I am lucky in that I've only experienced very mild harassment, so I don't really have a good answer for you. Some people feel that their experiences factor in but choose to still identify as ace, and others think that their assault doesn't effect their ace-ness at all. I think that if you want to identify as Grey-A, than that's awesome. If that label changes, you're still welcome here with us. 

By the way, welcome to AVEN, Alexgrace! :cake::cake::cake:

Hayis4horses
5 hours ago, OhDearyMe! said:

What's the worst do you think he could do? If he's the only anti-queer person in the school, he can't do much without him loosing quite a bit of friendships and dignity

Probably just some mean comments, and maybe get some of his friends to be kinda mean to me. He isn't the only anti-queer person, but there aren't that many. Thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, Cee Fox said:

He also might not do anything per se as opposed to making some other dumba** comment. But you're right in thinking he might not remember it by the time he next sees you.

Ya, I think so about both statements. Thanks for the advice.

2 hours ago, Athena32 said:

I would just ignore him, and if he tries to bother you when school starts, keep a record of it and report him to administration (if they're LGBTQ+ friendly, that is. If it would be more dangerous to report, I don't know what to say). And he doesn't sound great anyway, so why not block him online too? 

The administration is LGBTQ+ friendly, so I could report him if he does anything. And as for online, I will just wait, but if he does do something I will block him. Thanks for the advice.

Hayis4horses

@Czymone Welcome. Have some cake. :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: Why are you scared?

@Hayis4horses It’s the first time I join a page like this. It’s something new. I’m just trying to see if this is where I’m supposed to be or not. Sexuality has been a difficult thing for me. Finding out where I fit in etc. 

Hayis4horses

@Czymone I hope these forums help you in your search.

Neutral nerd

@Czymone don't worry, sexuality  is confusing for most people. Whether or not you fit in a specific category, nobody here will judge someone unless they're a jerk. And that's pretty easy to avoid. So welcome to AVEN! Don't be afraid to ask questions or talk about your experiences 🍰 :3

Welcome @Czymone! I hope this site is helpful to you. You do belong here, no matter what your sexuality is.

@Czymone Welcome! It's nice to meet you, have some cake! :cake: :cake: I was also terrified too when I first joined! It was a harrowing thought to think I was anything other than straight at first, but I feel like I really found myself here. I'm sure you will too. It's especially helpful that it's such a warm community. You can relax as no one's here to judge you.

• Like 1

@Czymone Welcome to AVEN! 

Also I'm intrigued by your username 😄 (don't want to be nosy or anything! What does it mean?)

1 minute ago, OhDearyMe! said:

Also I'm intrigued by your username 😄 (don't want to be nosy or anything! What does it mean?)

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

1 minute ago, Cee Fox said:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Lol, good to know I wasn't the only one 😆

You are all so nice. I’m gonna cry. :’)

My username, there’s not a fascinating story like you’ll expect. I like the name Simon and I kind of made changes from there. I also like the letters Z and Y. Not very interesting. 

• Like 3

@Czymone Awww *defies rules of physics or nature or whatever the hell and hugs through the computer or whatever device you have*

Nah it's cool it's original

Welcome @Czymone!! I like your username too, it's very unique :)) :cake:

On 7/9/2018 at 7:27 PM, Ninja said:

I wish that I was in college already. 

I'm here for you, man! I hope your last year in hs is at least tolerable, and don't worry it will go by faster than you think.

Wow I have been gone too long, how's everyone doing? I'm kinda sad that pride month is over already, but really there is no reason to stop celebrating right? ^^

I have a regular old teen topic that might be fun to talk about, as a break from strictly-ace discussions: what are your experiences with dying your hair as a teen? Have you done it, or would you do it if you had the chance? A lot of people will say that an inevitable teen (or 20-something) experience is to have a hair dye accident and end up looking waaay different than you wanted. Has this happened to anyone else? I recently did this when I wanted natural looking red hair but accidentally made myself look like Ronald McDonald. Thankfully the chlorine from going swimming faded it to a natural color just yesterday, but it was crazy for a while there! Lol

• Like 2
Maybe_Im_Ace
1 hour ago, smittyw said:

what are your experiences with dying your hair as a teen? Have you done it, or would you do it if you had the chance?

My mom is a barber and she put blonde highlights in my hair once (I hated it, never again). I just got a pixie cut, but if my hair was longer I might consider dying the tips.

• Like 1
Neutral nerd

My oldest brother has really long hair and dyed it purple. I haven't done any dyeing of my own, but it's the only reason I can think of for actually having long hair. So my hairs staying short :)

• Like 1
Hayis4horses
12 hours ago, smittyw said:

what are your experiences with dying your hair as a teen? Have you done it, or would you do it if you had the chance?

The summer of going into 8th grade. I dyed my hair with henna and indigo. I had to do the indigo twice because the first time it didn't really work. It was supposed to look bluish-blackish, but kinda just turned my medium brown hair to really dark brown hair, almost black. Then, this year at winter break I used this stuff called Herbatint to try and make my hair red. For the first week it looked kinda redish, but after that it just turned to my medium brown hair mixed with orange. I use more natural stuff, so the chemicals don't damage. I don't think I will be dying my hair again, soon, though.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, smittyw said:

what are your experiences with dying your hair as a teen?

Funny you should talk about it now cuz I literally just dip-dyed my hair orange. And I'm actually really happy with how it turned out. It's my best colour yet. When I was about 13 I had my ends purple and red. Meh. They were okay. Orange is bae though

• Like 1