Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Ace Skeleton

Thoughts on the office? 

Personally I love the show it’s one of my favorites, I’ve watched the series through at least 5 times now.

one of my favorite quotes is in the end of michaels Dunder mifflin commercial when he says limitless paper in a paperless world which makes me think of a sexuality because it’s no sexual attraction in a sex fueled world. Idk sorry for the rant and the office fanboying

• Like 2
Julia Schwartz
19 hours ago, Jaimee24 said:

I am so confused because I haven't figured out my romantic orientation and there is this guy at my school and I can't tell whether I just want him to be like a best friend cause he is such a cool guy or whether I actually have a crush on him cause like I always find myself looking at him and everything he does I am like aw but idk. Has anyone else felt the same? 

100% the same. I have no idea what my romantic orientation is, and so every time I feel something towards someone now I question it. I always assumed I was straight, but now I'm looking back on my supposed crushes on male friends and wondering if I didn't just actually want to be really good friends with them (which sounds great now!). I also kinda feel this way about a girl, but we don't live close so I can't tell if I just want to be friends because she's so nice or whether I like her in a romantic way? And then when I get confused and wonder if I'm aro, or just straight/heteroromantic after all. 

• Like 1
Julia Schwartz
On 6/19/2018 at 4:57 PM, smittyw said:

I feel the same way. It's hard to get a feel for whether the LGBT people I know are "inclusionists" or not so I'm mostly just willing to paint myself as an ally for now. I still find it hard to identify as part of the queer community with all the discourse that is going on, and the fact that I assumed I was straight for so long. 😕

Same. A lot of my friends are LGBT, but I have no idea about their opinions on aces/aros, especially on whether we should be in the community or not. I'm scared that if I come out to them, it'll be rejection and confusion from both my straight friends and my gay/bi/pan/trans friends. So, I'll just keep supporting them as an ally, as everyone assumes I'm straight, and hope the discourse dies down some year.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, lizrose17 said:

There needs to be a rant forum tbh.

There is. Here's a link: 

On 6/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, Hayis4horses said:

Ya. Idk if it is an ace thing, but I value friendships more than anything. And, so I like to spend a LOT of time with my friends. I feel like I care more about my friends than they care about me. But, oh well. 😧

Same

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Julia Schwartz said:

Same. A lot of my friends are LGBT, but I have no idea about their opinions on aces/aros, especially on whether we should be in the community or not. I'm scared that if I come out to them, it'll be rejection and confusion from both my straight friends and my gay/bi/pan/trans friends. So, I'll just keep supporting them as an ally, as everyone assumes I'm straight, and hope the discourse dies down some year.

My group of friends is wonderful about this, and I actually remember a friend saying "If you feel like you are a part of the queer community, than you are, end of story." Obviously this could have been phrased better, because it implies that anyone can claim these identities if they want them badly enough, but I think the sentiment was more along the lines of: another person doesn't get to decide if you're "queer enough." That is up to you, and people shouldn't be able to question that. If you want to identify with the community, go ahead, and if it's not for you, you don't have to. 

Personally I don't understand the sentiment that aces aren't welcome, because isn't the community for people who aren't welcome anywhere else? Also, just a bit ago this same argument was used against bi people, but people eventually realized that it was a ridiculous argument that was pretty hurtful. I hope that everyone will come to their senses eventually.

However, I get the worry that the people around you won't be accepting. That's really real, and I've been worrying about that with my parents and family a lot lately. I really hope that your friends would be compassionate if you chose to come out to them, because they've probably gone through the same questioning process and the nerve-wracking feelings of coming out. My strategy would maybe be to throw some resources at them and tell them to not bring it up until they've educated themselves (That's what I'm doing with my parents, I think).

• Like 2
Hayis4horses

@Sisylle I personally, would definitely bring it up because you are missing some information. Something doesn't add up. The best thing that you can do is ask.

Also, for everyone who is confused if they have experienced romance, I am there, too. Idk if I have just squishes or crushes.

Great Blue Heron

A sort of awkward situation today:

I was sitting with two of my friends  (I'll call them C and E) in art class, and an obnoxious kid (I'll call him K) came over. He was talking to us, and at some point he asked me who my crush was. I said that I didn't have one and he said that wasn't possible and that everyone liked somebody. I asked him, not particularly in a way implying that I am, just because of his rather ignorant remark, whether he knew what asexuality is. He said he didn't, but at the same time, C asked me if I am asexual. I said I didn't know, because the question was sudden and direct and caught me off guard; it would have been just fine if I had been honest (C is bi, E is gay, and both of them are accepting), but now I feel kind of awkward about it because I'm pretty sure E already had a feeling that I'm ace and if she didn't know already she can certainly guess now and I feel kind of bad about not being direct about it.

• Like 1
Hayis4horses

@Great Blue Heron Maybe, just tell them later when it feels like a good moment. You can explain that the question caught you off guard, but you wanted to be more direct, so here you are.

2 hours ago, Great Blue Heron said:

A sort of awkward situation today:

I was sitting with two of my friends  (I'll call them C and E) in art class, and an obnoxious kid (I'll call him K) came over. He was talking to us, and at some point he asked me who my crush was. I said that I didn't have one and he said that wasn't possible and that everyone liked somebody. I asked him, not particularly in a way implying that I am, just because of his rather ignorant remark, whether he knew what asexuality is. He said he didn't, but at the same time, C asked me if I am asexual. I said I didn't know, because the question was sudden and direct and caught me off guard; it would have been just fine if I had been honest (C is bi, E is gay, and both of them are accepting), but now I feel kind of awkward about it because I'm pretty sure E already had a feeling that I'm ace and if she didn't know already she can certainly guess now and I feel kind of bad about not being direct about it.

If you feel like you're ready to come out to C and E, I'd just bring it up the fact that you're ace to them in private and say that you weren't comfortable coming out to them in the middle of art class. If I were C or E in that situation, I'd find that pretty understandable.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. I once had someone deflect a pronoun question and answer it in private (with a rather lengthy explanation), and I wasn't offended at all. I was actually honored that the person had shared that with me, and I think that'll be the prevalent emotion.  

On 6/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, Ace Skeleton said:

Thoughts on the office? 

Personally I love the show it’s one of my favorites, I’ve watched the series through at least 5 times now.

one of my favorite quotes is in the end of michaels Dunder mifflin commercial when he says limitless paper in a paperless world which makes me think of a sexuality because it’s no sexual attraction in a sex fueled world. Idk sorry for the rant and the office fanboying

Haha yes!! I love The Office, and ive probably watched it 2 or 3 times through already... It has sort of a comforting silly quality to it that I always love. I like your use of a Michael quote, even though usually his logic doesn’t make much sense there are some rare moments of wisdom. Lol

Have you also watched Parks and Rec? I have a hard time choosing my favorite between the two shows, they’re both so fun.

1 hour ago, Athena32 said:

Yeah, I totally agree with that. I once had someone deflect a pronoun question and answer it in private (with a rather lengthy explanation), and I wasn't offended at all. I was actually honored that the person had shared that with me, and I think that'll be the prevalent emotion.  

That does sound like a good way to avoid misunderstanding. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about whether I should come out to certain friends in a similar way, since it seems like a weird topic to bring up myself; I’d rather wait for an opportunity to explain to them in the context of a conversation. 

3 hours ago, smittyw said:

Have you also watched Parks and Rec?

Legit best show. It's so funny and I love andy so muchhhh

verymelancholic
39 minutes ago, Jaimee24 said:

Legit best show. It's so funny and I love andy so muchhhh

In my opinion, Seinfeld must have the title of best show ever, or at least share it with another show. It’s really high up on the best of lists.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, smittyw said:

Have you also watched Parks and Rec?

That, and community that I recomend that everyone should watch, are the only shows I have watched like 3 plus times😅

The new club thing let’s you make clubs about a subject, a couple of weeks ago everyone wanted a teen section so someone could try making a teen club

It’s basically a way you can gather a bunch of threads together about a subject (basically a way to create your own forum) I’ve tried making one about art

• Like 1

That sounds like a good plan

• Like 1

I have been reading through this, an I have literally no idea what’s going on. Although, that does match teen group chats...😂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Athi816 said:

I have been reading through this, an I have literally no idea what’s going on. Although, that does match teen group chats...😂

welcome to the thread 😂it takes a while to get caught up sometimes, but feel free to add whatever you want to the discussion!

@(A)yy hey that sounds like a cool idea! it would make the thread much easier to find, and we could expand it to more topics so this one isn't so chaotic (lol)

• Like 2

Right now is the perfect time to start drafting my coming out letter to my parents, but I'm really nervous and I just want to put it off. I know that I want to come out, I'm certain, but I don't know what to write and I need to just do it. Any tips? I've picked out three resources with the help of a friend, and now I just need to write the letter and have them edit it. But I have to write it first, which is the problem.

Procrastination combined with other anxieties suck. 

Hayis4horses

Hey peeps. I made the Teen Club...It just has to be approved by a mod. Then all of you can join. 😎 Should I change it to specifically be about whatever teens wanna say or specifically about teens questions about asexuality?

• Like 1

Yay, and thank you so much! 

I would just do whatever teens want to say, and it's better to go too broad at first than too specific.

• Like 1

Mabey double check with a mod, the clubs system is still being tested and we shouldent bother any of the mods while they work on it 

Hayis4horses
12 minutes ago, (A)yy said:

Mabey double check with a mod, the clubs system is still being tested and we shouldent bother any of the mods while they work on it 

I just tried making one and it said to wait until a mod approves it. But, I didn't bother any mod. I didn't ask anyone to approve it because it told me to wait until a mod does. So, idk. 🤔

I think mabey for now delete the club because they’ve said that it’s in a trail process and people shouldn’t make groups yet 

Hayis4horses
20 minutes ago, (A)yy said:

I think mabey for now delete the club because they’ve said that it’s in a trail process and people shouldn’t make groups yet 

Oh, I didn't know that. But, I don't know how to delete it. I don't even think I can. There is only Edit Club, not Delete Club.

Yeah, we're just testing out the club feature for now, so regular members' clubs aren't being approved.

Hayis4horses
4 minutes ago, TheAP said:

Yeah, we're just testing out the club feature for now, so regular members' clubs aren't being approved.

Ok. Sorry.

FriendlyFangirl
On 6/21/2018 at 8:26 AM, Julia Schwartz said:

Same! I know that one friend is an inclusionist but I'm not sure about the others.

• Like 1