Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

@Artxine Maybe you can start something? I dragged a bunch of my 'not weird' friends into robotics.

awkward_pterodactyl

I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends outside the drama spectrum that are interested in guys but it's not their purpose in life. Our school also just started a robotics team so I get to mess around with it and we partner with mechanical engineering students in college so it's a good time. 

On another topic, I have a friend that is trying to figure out her own sexuality (lesbian/bi/pan/etc) and she's trying to decide who she's attracted to so she keeps asking me for help and I.... just.... can't really help her analyze attraction

I can guess

But I might be wildly wrong

I legitimately thought attraction was a media exaggeration

So

???

1 hour ago, awkward_pterodactyl said:

I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends outside the drama spectrum that are interested in guys but it's not their purpose in life. Our school also just started a robotics team so I get to mess around with it and we partner with mechanical engineering students in college so it's a good time. 

FIRST robotics or what? (FRC kickoff was fun!)

@Eva River @Aza159 Thanks, guys! I appreciate your replies! :D Also, to Aza159 about the cake question, Skycaptain explained it great. I like cake, but I do prefer cookies and ice cream. :cake:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Izzygolden said:

@Eva River @Aza159 Thanks, guys! I appreciate your replies! :D Also, to Aza159 about the cake question, Skycaptain explained it great. I like cake, but I do prefer cookies and ice cream. :cake:

Then sorry u can’t be on this website. 

Jk here as a peace offering have cookie cake!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, awkward_pterodactyl said:

Our school also just started a robotics team

I'm in my school's robotics team too :)

Why does everyone have a school robotics team??? I wish we had a robotics team but all we have is "coding club" but the teacher doesn't know anything so you have to teach yourself. We have other good extracurriculars, I guess. My favourite being Percussion Ensemble - it's so much fun I like it so much more than any other music thing I do/have done, I guess because it's kind of small but it's also not just me. 

Though a robotics team would still be cool :) 

10 hours ago, Artxine said:

Anyone else who has te problem where literally all every single person your age wants to talk about is boys, and sex?

The same thing happens in my grade.. They can't stop talking about it sometimes and then they say stuff like "Oh everyone loves sex! Everyone needs sex!" Etc. Etc. It's horrible to hear that all the time and extremely uncomfortable (I cringe every time) but once I did mention ace people and that shut them up so yeah. 

I'm from an all girls school and we started a robotics club last year. I was their 'pioneer batch'. My robotics journey was quite a coincidence, really. It started when my design and technology teacher received an invitation for a team to competein a design and engineering competition, and so he handpicked a group of us to enter, and we did well. The next year, we got to compete with other asian countries. However due to some disease outbreak, the competition was cancelled and we were shifted to a programming competition. With a few hours crash course, we got 2nd place. well, programming lead to robotics which lead us to World Robot Games 2016. However our team then was unofficial and thus, we received no proper training. My current juniors are now benefiting from a school budget, proper training, facilities and tools.... yet spend more time playing around than doing robotics. My team members and I are annoyed with their attitude and hope that they will mature soon.

Also, how many of you are/ were from a uniformed group like scouts, girls guides, girls brigade? Personally I just finished my Girls Brigade as an NCO last year and am thinking of continuing this year.

awkward_pterodactyl
17 hours ago, BionicPi said:

FIRST robotics or what? (FRC kickoff was fun!)

Yep! What location did you go to? The 8-bit video was clever. :) 

My team does watches the stream at our school, then moves into classrooms to go through the manual and start laying out a design. I'm an alum of 1111, so this year I mentored kickoff.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:49 AM, OpenAce said:

I'm in my school's robotics team too :)

Due to my (30+) age I don't really belong in here but I'm intrigued... I didn't do robotics until college which involved assembly language programming!

Great that this sort of thing is being encouraged these days!

On 1/12/2018 at 7:12 PM, FupDuck said:

Due to my (30+) age I don't really belong in here but I'm intrigued... I didn't do robotics until college which involved assembly language programming!

Great that this sort of thing is being encouraged these days!

There are a few of pretty significant international robotics competitions for intercollegiate students. The two that come to mind are FIRST and Vex.

3 hours ago, BionicPi said:

There are a few of pretty significant international robotics competitions for intercollegiate students. The two that come to mind are FIRST and Vex.

I did VEX all 4 years in high school. I joined a FIRST team one summer because I liked their robot but I was unable to continue for the actual season due to music and vex and money and transportation. I only found them to begin with because I was showing off the vex robot at stem night for school and they were there too..... Maybe another thing about aces is we like robots?

17 hours ago, Lirpaderp said:

aces is we like robots

Haha me too I quit cuz they were too bossy and I did nothing to help. I loved it though possibly in college?

Aces like robots because they are everything sex is not?

Robots are awesome. I think the reason I like them is more of the fact I'm nerdy though. You know... video games, science, sci-fi, the whole bit.

Spoiler

It's totally not because I wanna have a giant robot to seize world domination with. Totally not. I mean, who likes blowing up random things anyway? :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, James121 said:

Has anyone on this thread begun developing any sexual desire over the last year or two?

Only a platonic crush...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, James121 said:

Has anyone on this thread begun developing any sexual desire over the last year or two?

I haven't. 

4 hours ago, James121 said:

I haven't either.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, Tintinfan said:

Only a platonic crush...

What does that feel like? I still don't feel sexual attraction, but idk about romantic attraction. What's the difference between a platonic crush and a crush?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lirpaderp said:

What does that feel like? I still don't feel sexual attraction, but idk about romantic attraction. What's the difference between a platonic crush and a crush?

Platonic crush / squish - just want to be a very good friend. 

1 minute ago, Tintinfan said:

Platonic crush / squish - just want to be a very good friend. 

Does that include wanting to cuddle/hold hands? Where's the line between romance and friendship?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Lirpaderp said:

Does that include wanting to cuddle/hold hands? Where's the line between romance and friendship?

Personally I think it depends I know some fiends that hold hands. A platonic crush or squish is kinda dancing on that line where you draw from both sides. And then again it depends... for me it’s kinda of an innocent love that is derived soul from enjoying a persons presence and just wanting to make them happy.

• Like 1
awkward_pterodactyl

Idk for me a platonic crush is just someone you'd really strongly want to hang out with bc you like them as a person. Physical contact probably leans more toward romance but a lot of people are really touchy with their friends, too.

awkward_pterodactyl

So on a personal note, I have this bi friend that really likes me and I try to be friends but she's a really physical person and I have a personal bubble the size of a football field. I've told her I'm ace and she gets that it won't happen but I feel bad that I don't return her affection. Any suggestions?

• Like 1