Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

10 minutes ago, Dreammaker said:

"She's just a rock that I met and admire very much!"

*throws sweets at* Human of The Year

College and stuff is sooo expensive... 

14 minutes ago, TrenchCoatsandVinyl said:

what the heck is this

*shrug* Who knows? Just hop down in here with us, we're just a giant wonderful mess together.

• Like 1
theperksofbeing
32 minutes ago, Dreammaker said:

!! nice one

theperksofbeing
32 minutes ago, Dreammaker said:

!! nice one

10 minutes ago, TrenchCoatsandVinyl said:

I still have a warning point against me for offensive language I used EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM IT WAS JUST A BAMBOOZLE. whats up with that? 

I don't know? I don't curse usually, and haven't ever had a reason to on here.

What do you mean by "bamboozle?" Was autocorrect at fault, or do you mean it was something you did intentionally that you wouldn't have done had you realized there were consequences, or some other form of mistake?

12 minutes ago, TrenchCoatsandVinyl said:

listen I called someone gay back when they still had the chat room thing cause he said that Wes Anderson was a bad director. AND I WILL NOT TOLERATE THAT. So I bamboozled him. I'm the Bamboozler, Virginia's greatest super-villain 

...Ah.

People can disagree and still be civil. Insulting the other person doesn't make you any more right, you know. It is an opinion.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TrenchCoatsandVinyl said:

I'm not saying it is, I jokingly called him gay and that teetered off edge. 

Hey, random question. Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type(MBTI) and/or Hogwarts house?

Hey guys. I haven't been in here in a while. My Myers-Briggs type was INFP the last time I took the test. I don't know what my Hogwarts house is--maybe Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw? And I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe a writer or librarian or something.

I don't know my personality type, or Hogwarts house, or desired career. But I'm interested in engineering and music. If I could build my own portable house and live off the land while also moving and adventuring everywhere, I'd be happy. But I'd need people to join me and I'd need to own my instruments. So for now I hope to get a job and no longer be in massive amounts of debt.... But tbh, I really want to go to space...

On 22/10/2017 at 1:06 AM, Aryaaaa said:

Totally different subject: what do you want to do when you grow up? 

Byyyye!

I'd love to become an animator to make cool cartoons and films, because those are one of the things that have kept me going in difficult times and I wish I could help other kids like me be inspired or just bring them a little joy, even if I know I probably never will be good enough to do any of that, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I guess being an architect would be cool (and I'd be the third person to become one in my family), same for being an astrophysicist or anything to do with science (I've always found science and physics to be more exact to been fascinating and also very easy for me). 

And I have no clue what I want to be, unfortunately I need to know what I'm doing with the rest of my life at this point *sigh*

Oh gosh, when I grow up? It looks like I'm going to be a computer scientist/software engineer/programmer. I had an interview with Google a few days ago!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BionicPi said:

Oh gosh, when I grow up? It looks like I'm going to be a computer scientist/software engineer/programmer. I had an interview with Google a few days ago!

That's really cool!

Did you guys know we're conceivably less than five years away from another world war?
That's a scary thought, because guys...
Our generation be fighting this one.
Everyone has to sign up for the draft now in America, so a lot of us could conceivably have to go *fight in a war*. That's a terrifying thought to me.
In my English class we were on the subject of all the awful things America has done that we like to ignore and my teacher told us that little smidgen of information and I actually had to stop and process that. 

16 minutes ago, Dreammaker said:

Did you guys know we're conceivably less than five years away from another world war?
That's a scary thought, because guys...
Our generation be fighting this one.

Since WW2 it seems that we have been on the brink of war nuclear/no nuclear.

And yes it's terrifying.

time traveller jedi
3 hours ago, Dreammaker said:

Everyone has to sign up for the draft now in America, so a lot of us could conceivably have to go *fight in a war*. That's a terrifying thought to me.

in my country, all the boys must sign up for the draft when they turn 18. i thought it was optional in the usa...?

time traveller jedi

also, happy ace awareness week for you all 💜

(i know it started yesterday, but what counts is the intention)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, time traveller jedi said:

in my country, all the boys must sign up for the draft when they turn 18. i thought it was optional in the usa...?

Well, usually in peacetime and in a lot of wars actually it's volunteer only. But I believe in the case of both world wars, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the draft was put into effect because troops were spread too thin.

Until recently, only men had to sign up for the draft, but women have been allowed into active combat now so the law on the draft was changed too, sadly for the majority of us who don't particularly want to fight in a war ever. It might sound callous, but I'd rather stay out of wars entirely. Can I just be neutral? Just because I was born here doesn't mean I want to die for the place.

8 minutes ago, TrenchCoatsandVinyl said:

You don't have to sign up for the draft, it's a common misconception. You have to turn in Military papers when you're 18, to signify whether or not you're physically/mentally able to military service at all. But there is no draft. Most young Americans think there is one when in reality it's merely formality

I had an in-depth discussion about this in my English class today, my teacher (who is most definitely older than "most young Americans" by a couple of decades) confirmed that any person can indeed be put into military service if need be. It's not active all the time, as I explained above, but when you sign up for that at 18, you can be drafted into military service save a few specific reasons (explained here, though it's several years old so it says men are the only ones who have to sign up for the draft: https://people.howstuffworks.com/us-draft3.htm). It's in no way a myth, or a formality; I don't know where you learned that but it is most definitely not true.

Decided to ask my queerplatonic interest to be my QPP. I'm not sure how much she knows about QPRs, I might have mentioned them to her once at most, so I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go...I don't fear our relationship changing if she denies me, but it's weird to think about officially being in a QPR if she says yes. I mean, I want to, but... how will it change our relationship in that regard, I wonder?

2 hours ago, time traveller jedi said:

also, happy ace awareness week for you all 💜

(i know it started yesterday, but what counts is the intention)

Happy ace awareness week to you too! I'm trying to find some small way to participate at least. I think I might make some of those rubber band bracelets that were popular a few years back in ace colors and give them to people. I already made one (and a black ring :D) for myself. I also drew the hearts on my wrist.

This week is actually what encouraged me to ask out(?) my QP interest, so if nothing else is accomplished, I'll at least have done that.

I don't really check this out much even though I get notifications. At times I wonder about the younger AVENites who say they they knew/know in their teens that they're asexual. Well in hindsight I guess those younger members know more than I thought. 

When I was in my mid to late teens, when my friends were partying, going to dances and having sex, I was babysitting the kids of the neighbours down the street. I never was teased about it from my friends as they knew the family paid well. But on the surface, it would seem strange that a teenaged boy wants to babysit.

There were girls in the social circle I hung out with, but I had no interest romantically or sexually with them. So looking back it would appear I've been ace since the late 70s, I just didn't know it.

Happy ace week to everyone! About the ace things? Hmm...

I was never interested in sex and had no attraction towards anyone for it. But I often went for the 'lel its probs hormones' reason. However, I realized when I was 15 that the attraction never came. I could look at someone and say 'yeah, they look nice' but that was it. I was too busy drawing and playing video games to even care. I was 13 at that time when I was exploring the sexuality stuff. 

The hardest thing for me was trying to pin down exactly what my sexuality was, and what orientation I could go under. I like feminine figures, so girls are a higher preference. That doesn't mean guys are out of the picture as long they are feminine looking (but not long hair... no). I was going panromantic, but that often means having little or no preference and I have a preference. So, I went with biromantic, as I like both genders, but my attraction isn't completely 50/50, but more like 85/70 with the girls being higher because they're cute and I can find more feminine people (I'm one myself.) but guys can be cute too... seriously!

What am I gonna do for ace week? Avoid Tumblr and draw pictures about it! Then post em to AVEN or something

My school only offers French and Spanish. You do have the option of taking a different course at the community college, though. I chose to take French even though I took Spanish all throughout grade school, which was a stupid choice because it turns out I’m really really horrible at French. We do get to watch terrible videos in the class so that is a plus

I've taken French since kindergarten, and I took one semester of Spanish in grade 11. My school didn't offer any other languages.

In Ontario the government is supposed to be updating the sex curriculum in elementary and high schools. From what I've heard it will include more content pertaining to LGBT education. When I was in high school in the 70s there was no mention of 'alternative' persuasions. It was more sexual health.

Now to my question, has any of the education you guys have gotten mentioned asexuality?

Nuh

Nothing at all with that stuff