Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

@Miss_Bookworm

I found for me if I procrastinated by organising myself I could basically eliminate procrastination (sounds alittle confusing 😂). This was because I would know if I had the time to just chill or if I really needed to work. I had a weekly planner, a diary and an assessment calendar. It really helped me out so maybe it could be helpful for you! 😊🍰

• Like 3
Julia Schwartz
12 hours ago, Aebt said:

That's me, although I still am that way and it is so nerve-wracking. I have all A's now, but I am in a state of mild panic every day. I put a lot of pressure on myself I guess. Having no motivation sounds refreshing but then all the professors who never call on me because they think I know every answer would start calling on me, and I often don't know the answer.

I hate this so much. Everyone assumes your life must be great if you get straight A's, but really it's just constantly increasing pressure to do better than everyone else and to never make a mistake. It just grows and grows until by this point, I'm practically in tears over missed poit's because I feel that anything less than perfection is failure. I'm constantly stressed and panicking over tiny, inconsequential things, just because everyone assumes that I know everything, so anything I miss will be talked about and mocked forever. It's a pretty terrible way to live

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Julia Schwartz said:

I hate this so much. Everyone assumes your life must be great if you get straight A's, but really it's just constantly increasing pressure to do better than everyone else and to never make a mistake. It just grows and grows until by this point, I'm practically in tears over missed poit's because I feel that anything less than perfection is failure. I'm constantly stressed and panicking over tiny, inconsequential things, just because everyone assumes that I know everything, so anything I miss will be talked about and mocked forever. It's a pretty terrible way to live

Mood. I broke down crying today stressing over grades and homework

• Like 5
Julia Schwartz
11 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

KInda off topic, but maybe not?

This is my second year of high school and I'm still trying to get used to studying... I was one of those students who understood everything in class, maybe gave the notes a once-over, then got a 95-100 on the test.

Now, despite changing my study habits, my core classes are all high 80s or low 90s. And god forbid my grade drops below an 85, my parents think it's the end of the world (Even though both of them failed classes before) And then my parents get mad at me if it takes me more than an hour and a half to do my homework.

Also, I'm a H U G E procrastinator.

So yeah, high school's super fun😑😑

I feel this. I'm also a sophomore, and I've never really had to study for anything in my life before to ace it, but I've got really hard classes this year and it's been awful. I don't know ho to handle this kind of workload, and I'm so worried about not doing well that I procrastinate until it's impossible to do well on anything. And my parents also insist that I spend family time with them and my brother, but say it's my own fault for not getting homework done.

• Like 7
Julia Schwartz
2 minutes ago, hannah_e said:

Mood. I broke down crying today stressing over grades and homework

Yep. We need to fix all these crappy education systems that basically set us up for failure and mental health problems. It's nice to see other people who feel the way I do; no one at my school seems to understand.

• Like 8

I graduated literally two weeks ago and I just wanted to say to everyone that in the end grades don’t matter. I finished on all B’s and that’s enough. The most important is that you are healthy pyshically and mentally. In my opinion it’s better to go through highschool doing things you love and enjoy rather than driving yourself into the dirt by constantly trying to get good grades. Passing and applying yourself is extremely important but so is your health. 😊

• Like 7
Miss_Bookworm
3 hours ago, iam135 said:

I've found the app/website Quizlet really helpful when it comes to studying. It's basically a platform that lets you create and share virtual flashcards, so you can either make your own or study flashcards that others have made. Also, if your school (or the area around your school) has a library, you can try studying there so your parents don't get on your back about taking too long (which, by the way, is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard). Plus it's nice and quiet.

I use Quizlet for history terms and French vocab, so that works.

I would try and stay after school at the library, but the school library only lets us stay for a half-hour after school hours unless there's an event or club. Also, I'm super busy all the time so the library down the street wouldn't work 😑.

Honestly, the biggest things that get me on tests are the essays or any question in general that has weirdly worded questions *cough* my last chem test *cough*

Thanks for all the advice though!

It probably sounds like I'm complaining a lot, sorry!😁

• Like 2
Maya the Composer

@Omi I get what you're saying. As I'm getting college applications in, I'm coming to the realization that, at least for where I'm applying, I don't really have to shoot for having 100s in every single class. That's not to say I should completely stop trying, but it definitely releases some pressure.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

It probably sounds like I'm complaining a lot, sorry!😁

It's totally fine - don't even worry about it. I kind of forgot that you likely can't drive yet, which really limits where you can work after school. Honestly the library near my school is a 15 minute walk and I'm still too lazy to walk there most of the time 😅.

Complaining is completely allowed - I do it quite often!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Omi said:

The most important is that you are healthy pyshically and mentally.

*looks up at sky*

*whistles suspiciously*

*shuffles feet*

• Like 5

Also, I'm super sad about society because yesterday my friend spent a good chunk of the 94 minutes of class talking about how she was so ugly and she hated herself because she  thought her hair looked bad.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Maya the Composer said:

I don't really have to shoot for having 100s in every single class.

The great thing about college is no one cares whether you get 100 or 90, it's still an A. I got 91's last semester and my professor asked me, "Don't you want to try harder and do better?" I said yes to make him happy, but a 91 still gets an A so why try harder? It's not like I can get better than an A on my transcript in the end.

Also colleges don't mind B's or C's, so it really relaxes the pressure (except for me because I pressure myself into getting A's and my professors expect me to get A's).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Aebt said:

The great thing about college is no one cares whether you get 100 or 90, it's still an A. I got 91's last semester and my professor asked me, "Don't you want to try harder and do better?" I said yes to make him happy, but a 91 still gets an A so why try harder? It's not like I can get better than an A on my transcript in the end.

Also colleges don't mind B's or C's, so it really relaxes the pressure (except for me because I pressure myself into getting A's and my professors expect me to get A's).

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm constantly torn between "it's okay that I have a B, college is harder than high school anyway" and "no, you must always get A's"

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Miss Who said:

Also, I'm super sad about society because yesterday my friend spent a good chunk of the 94 minutes of class talking about how she was so ugly and she hated herself because she  thought her hair looked bad.

your profile picture works so well with that

• Like 3

it's very hard to explain my "school" to people. like some parent would go "oh which school are you going to" and i'd have to be like "oKAY so i'm supposed to be in 8th grade but i'm in 10th and they're gonna put me back in 9th next semester and i'm a homeschooler but instead of homeschooling i'm taking classes at college and that's my education" and they'd just say something like "oH YOU'RE A SMART ONE AREN'T YOU" 

at this point i just feel like i should say "it's complicated" and hope they don't ask any more questions

• Like 2
Just now, lonelyace said:

@natural blue Don't forget your qnwewfl weinfwliowo telugu class 

boy oh boy that's the worst part

• Like 1
no-longer-in-use
On 11/27/2018 at 4:06 AM, Miss Who said:

Not gonna lie, those people piss me off

Toothpaste Fairy
On 11/27/2018 at 11:07 PM, lonelyace said:

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm constantly torn between "it's okay that I have a B, college is harder than high school anyway" and "no, you must always get A's"

Ahhhhh! I feel this too much! I started university this year and I don't even know what I'm doing with my grades anymore. It's either I put obscene amounts of pressure on myself to get all A s or I just don't care about grades and try my best and roll with whatever I get. I've mostly done the latter so far and I don't know whether to be okay with it.

• Like 3
On 11/28/2018 at 6:16 PM, Coddiwomple said:

Not gonna lie, those people piss me off

It got annoying really fast.

Me originally: Stupid society

Me after like 2 minutes: This is ridiculous; her hair doesn't look bad. 

On 11/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, Toothpaste Fairy said:

It's either I put obscene amounts of pressure on myself to get all A s or I just don't care about grades and try my best and roll with whatever I get.

BIG MOOD

• Like 2

i am absolutely terrible at comforting people. like, my friend would come up to me, crying, her boyfriend broke up with her, her pet cow died, her parents divorced, and someone accidentally hit her with a truck, and the best i'd be able to come up with would be something like "oh gosh im sorry you wanna go get some ice cream"

• Like 6
no-longer-in-use
5 minutes ago, natural blue said:

i am absolutely terrible at comforting people. like, my friend would come up to me, crying, her boyfriend broke up with her, her pet cow died, her parents divorced, and someone accidentally hit her with a truck, and the best i'd be able to come up with would be something like "oh gosh im sorry you wanna go get some ice cream"

same i never know what to say

• Like 1
The Moon and the Mountains
42 minutes ago, natural blue said:

Ah I feel this on such a level. My go to is “I’m so sorry... do you want some tea?” 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, natural blue said:

i am absolutely terrible at comforting people.

I am too, I never know what to say and my love of humor tends only to make it worse.

7 hours ago, natural blue said:

her pet cow died

If my friend had this happen I would have to try very hard to keep from making it humorous.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Aebt said:

If my friend had this happen I would have to try very hard to keep from making it humorous.

same tho

i mean, pretty sure it won't. last time i checked not too many people have pet cows

• Like 2

I met a couple of comfort therapy dogs (the sorts they bring on college campuses for finals) in the bathroom the other day. One was this little golden lab named Cooper and he was such a good boy! I didn't catch the other one's name but it was bigger with short, curly fur - don't know what breed, maybe a poodle mix or something. But (s)he was also a good boy/girl. It was probably the best bathroom trip of my life - though I guess that's not a very high bar to reach 😆.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, iam135 said:

comfort therapy dogs

As someone with a fear of dogs why can there not be comfort therapy cats? I don't know about anybody else, but dogs are very much not comforting nor therapeutic for me.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Aebt said:

As someone with a fear of dogs why can there not be comfort therapy cats? I don't know about anybody else, but dogs are very much not comforting nor therapeutic for me.

I actually have a slight preference for cats over dogs as well, but I'm generally fond of both.

There are cats that are used as therapy animals but it's usually just in one-on-one settings (ex. with a single hospital patient) as opposed to the big group setting that these dogs were in. Part of it might just be because therapy dogs are more common, but I'd imagine it's also because many cats can get really aggressive when overstimulated, which can happen really easily when tossed into a new environment with lots of people petting you. Different cats have different thresholds, of course, but it would be difficult to find a lot of them. And cat allergies are about twice as common as dog allergies, so there's that concern in a group setting as well.

This article actually talks more about therapy cats: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/well/live/as-animal-assisted-therapy-thrives-enter-the-cats.html

• Like 3