Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Guess what?

I'm up at one thirty because I am physically incapable of sleeping because I am stressed and panicky for absolutely no reason

wait-

I have exams next week

oh yeah

shit

BigBassFox
38 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

Guess what?

I'm up at one thirty because I am physically incapable of sleeping because I am stressed and panicky for absolutely no reason

wait-

I have exams next week

oh yeah

shit

So I'm not an expert in this but I live with a nurse. Take a couple deep breaths, look around. Do you having a stress ball or anything you can squeeze? If so please use that. For now, try to think about now, rather than later. These feelings can be scary, but if you have someone to help you through them, it can be a little less scary. ❤

20 minutes ago, BigBassFox said:

So I'm not an expert in this but I live with a nurse. Take a couple deep breaths, look around. Do you having a stress ball or anything you can squeeze? If so please use that. For now, try to think about now, rather than later. These feelings can be scary, but if you have someone to help you through them, it can be a little less scary. ❤

Thank youuu- I'm feeling a lot better now. I often find that thinking about how I'm feeling and defining it makes it easier to go away- like I know what you are please leave rather than just I don't know what this strange thing is I want it to go away

I love your pfp ❤️ 

• Like 1
BigBassFox
1 hour ago, Ithinkimace said:

Thank youuu- I'm feeling a lot better now. I often find that thinking about how I'm feeling and defining it makes it easier to go away- like I know what you are please leave rather than just I don't know what this strange thing is I want it to go away

I love your pfp ❤️ 

Thank you, I like yours' too! 

I don't know your situation, but if you can't seek anyone in your real life for help, just keep using your stress ball or breathing. These are just two healthy coping mechanisms. There's journaling, drawing, fidgets, etc. If there is anyone in your life you can talk about this with, talking is a great way to process this. Ithinkimace, you're strong, even if it doesn't feel like it all the time, you will overcome this. We all believe in you. ❤

5 hours ago, BigBassFox said:

Thank you, I like yours' too! 

I don't know your situation, but if you can't seek anyone in your real life for help, just keep using your stress ball or breathing. These are just two healthy coping mechanisms. There's journaling, drawing, fidgets, etc. If there is anyone in your life you can talk about this with, talking is a great way to process this. Ithinkimace, you're strong, even if it doesn't feel like it all the time, you will overcome this. We all believe in you. ❤

Thank youuu

• Like 1

So turns out getting 30 minutes of sleep is not good for your mental wellbeing

Neither is bottling up your emotions and not crying properly for like 2 years

I was reading a book just now and a dog died and I bawled my eyes out

I think I have a problem

I'm not at school today because I cried when I got up, so that's fun

How is everyone today?

Deltalorian
2 hours ago, Ithinkimace said:

I think I have a problem

How is everyone today?

Good lord, I hope you find someone you can talk to about this stuff!

I ate 3 cookies at once, and then immediately ate 4 at once (all of them maryland cookies if you know what those are) and I briefly thought I was going to die so that's my day so far lol.

4 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:

Good lord, I hope you find someone you can talk to about this stuff!

I ate 3 cookies at once, and then immediately ate 4 at once (all of them maryland cookies if you know what those are) and I briefly thought I was going to die so that's my day so far lol.

That sounds amazing I love maryland cookies

I've been using the notes app on my phone, its quite a good place to vent because I don't feel like anyone's judging me. (even if i know someone isn't my subconscious tells me they are)

I think I have a problem

I’m very sorry. I hope you are able to get more sleep tomorrow, and hopefully feel better. Deltalorian is right that you need to talk to someone, too.

How is everyone today?

I’m doing okay, thanks for asking.

8 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

I've been using the notes app on my phone, its quite a good place to vent because I don't feel like anyone's judging me. (even if i know someone isn't my subconscious tells me they are)

I have written 710 words so far today so yeah it's helped quite a bit

7 minutes ago, DragonWithQuestions said:

I’m very sorry. I hope you are able to get more sleep tomorrow, and hopefully feel better. Deltalorian is right that you need to talk to someone, too.

Thank you your advice is greatly appreciated I just don't know how to bring to topic up with anyone without making it sound selfish and 'oh my problems are so much worse than yours'

9 minutes ago, DragonWithQuestions said:

I’m doing okay, thanks for asking.

That's good

Deltalorian
9 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

That sounds amazing I love maryland cookies

You won't like trying to chew 4 at once. You have to have jaws of steel in order to get through that mass of biscuit and sugar.

1 minute ago, Ithinkimace said:

I have written 710 words so far today so yeah it's helped quite a bit

So long as you're doing whatever you need to help de-stress yourself in healthy ways that don't harm others.

Just now, Deltalorian said:

You won't like trying to chew 4 at once. You have to have jaws of steel in order to get through that mass of biscuit and sugar.

So long as you're doing whatever you need to help de-stress yourself in healthy ways that don't harm others.

No i'm not going to try chew more than one or two at once. being on here and talking to you guys really helps as well and I don't think I've hurt anyone?

BigBassFox

I think I have a problem

How is everyone today?

Cry as much as you need to. It's a perfectly natural and good to cry, and sounds like to me you need a good cry. Even if your emotions might seem "inconvenient" to others, you have to be able to take care of yourself. Deltalorian hit the nail on the head with this. If there is anyone, anyone in real life you feel comfortable talking with about this with, I highly suggest talking to them. 

Deltalorian
2 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

No i'm not going to try chew more than one or two at once. being on here and talking to you guys really helps as well and I don't think I've hurt anyone?

Good. Even if it's embarrassing, if it's something that calms you down, absolutely go for it.

15 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

We are willing to help you. We promise to help you calm down and not be judgmental.

2 minutes ago, BigBassFox said:

Cry as much as you need to. It's a perfectly natural and good to cry, and sounds like to me you need a good cry. Even if your emotions might seem "inconvenient" to others, you have to be able to take care of yourself. Deltalorian hit the nail on the head with this. If there is anyone, anyone in real life you feel comfortable talking with about this with, I highly suggest talking to them. 

Its not even that my emotions seem inconvenient to others its that they're inconvenient to me. they don't help with rational thought at all, impact how I go about my life and generally life is just easier to deal with if you don't have emotions. I don't really have anyone that I feel comfortable talking through this with in real life because honestly people really scare me. 

On another note, what if elephants had teeth like hippos- like the tusks and the teeth and the size and all would be terrifying.

Just now, DragonWithQuestions said:

We are willing to help you. We promise to help you calm down and not be judgmental.

Thank you, that means a lot but I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with life in general.

Apparently suppressing your emotions is really bad for your mental health

I googled it

Deltalorian
8 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

Apparently suppressing your emotions is really bad for your mental health

I googled it

Is this not a well documented fact? I've known this I was 8. I suppose since it's typically a problem associated with men (since men are more likely to do this) I would have been more exposed to resources for helping with this, but still. I've been bombarded with messages about sharing your emotions and speaking to others to help you for as long as I can remember, so I thought that outside of closed off toxic social circles this was a universally known fact about mental well-being.

2 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:

Is this not a well documented fact? I've known this I was 8. I suppose since it's typically a problem associated with men (since men are more likely to do this) I would have been more exposed to resources for helping with this, but still. I've been bombarded with messages about sharing your emotions and speaking to others to help you for as long as I can remember, so I thought that outside of closed off toxic social circles this was a universally known fact about mental well-being.

I got that it wasn't good for it but I didn't really clock that it was bad

I'm reading an article about dealing with emotions without supressing them at the moment

it suggests just taking them as they come

apparently talking yourself out of feeling something doesn't work

mindfulness

the high-stress jobs / surgeon, sas, police etc. have the highest instances of suicide and substance abuse because they are told to suppress their emotions

Edited by Ithinkimace
More info
Deltalorian
Just now, Ithinkimace said:

I'm reading an article about dealing with emotions without supressing them at the moment

it suggests just taking them as they come

What does that even mean? Is that just saying "deal it with"? I genuinely can't tell what that means.

7 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:

What does that even mean? Is that just saying "deal it with"? I genuinely can't tell what that means.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_to_regulate_your_emotions_without_suppressing_them#:~:text=Studies have shown that suppressing,not the inner emotional experience.

What many people aren’t aware of is that there’s another way to regulate our emotions: Feel the feeling in real time.

On one level, emotions are like energy waves, varying in shape and intensity, just like ocean waves. Their nature is to arise and pass away pretty quickly, like all natural phenomena. If you attempt to interrupt this process, through acting out or suppressing, several things can happen.

Deltalorian
4 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_to_regulate_your_emotions_without_suppressing_them#:~:text=Studies have shown that suppressing,not the inner emotional experience.

What many people aren’t aware of is that there’s another way to regulate our emotions: Feel the feeling in real time.

On one level, emotions are like energy waves, varying in shape and intensity, just like ocean waves. Their nature is to arise and pass away pretty quickly, like all natural phenomena. If you attempt to interrupt this process, through acting out or suppressing, several things can happen.

Oh. My monkey brain is a bit too dumb to understand all of that, but I think I get it.

5 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:

Oh. My monkey brain is a bit too dumb to understand all of that, but I think I get it.

Yeah I only just get it

Deltalorian

On another note, what if elephants had teeth like hippos- like the tusks and the teeth and the size and all would be terrifying.

I didn't notice you said this and yes, it would be terrifying. Thought, perhaps elephants would be able to give their poachers what for with that!

13 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:

I didn't notice you said this and yes, it would be terrifying. Thought, perhaps elephants would be able to give their poachers what for with that!

Breaking news: Elephant-Hippo impales 3 poachers on tusks and eats them.

• Like 1
Anxious kid

That sounds like something that v01d_g0bl1n could write a horror story about. Maybe a sequel to their story about hippos with bee wings?

11 minutes ago, Anxious kid said:

That sounds like something that v01d_g0bl1n could write a horror story about. Maybe a sequel to their story about hippos with bee wings?

ooh yes

Deltalorian
12 minutes ago, Anxious kid said:

Yes I'd love to see his interpretation of it, even if they can only muster a paragraph or two!