Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

On 9/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, SamTheSheep said:

Off topic, but is anyone else procrastinating on something due in tomorrow? 

For me its memorising lines for my Spanish speaking test. 

We have a math test on Monday about everything we did last year. We've known about the test for months and I still haven't started studying yet.

I hate math. 

4 hours ago, Member114264 said:

Well see ya my dudes!

I'm finally 20.

Happy birthday. 🍰🎂

@actualcakebytheocean, @Margayocelot666 and @Major Tom welcome! I'm so sorry about not getting you some cake sooner, I was camping for the past few days.

x.jpgx.jpge9e305a946c9b557213249c1cab6f9c2.jpg

Goodbye member114264, I don't really know you but your posts here are always interesting.

• Like 2

Hello! I'm Carbon. I don't have a whole lot of ace pals in rl - read: exactly one (1) - so I'd love to get to know some more :)

I'm casually out- if someone asks, I'll tell them the truth. Otherwise they don't really need to know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A little about me, I have a passion for aquarium life. Both the fishkeeping hobby and the AVEN community are very small subsects of the population, though, so I doubt I'll find someone else in the intersection. One can dream! I also play the alto sax, leaning classical. Anyone else in band/orchestra around here? If so, what instrument do you play?

• Like 4
Celestial_Strawberry
2 minutes ago, Carbon-12 said:

Anyone else in band/orchestra around here? If so, what instrument do you play?

I'm in color guard at my school, if that counts. Otherwise, I play a couple instruments casually (ukulele and kalimba) and I sing. I love all of these things so much ❤️ 

no-longer-in-use
17 minutes ago, Carbon-12 said:

I'm not in any bands, but I sing in a chorus and play piano on my own.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

I'm in color guard at my school, if that counts. Otherwise, I play a couple instruments casually (ukulele and kalimba) and I sing. I love all of these things so much ❤️ 

Color guard counts! Sadly I'm in one of the three high schools in my state without a marching band- some people in administration thought it was too "militaristic"??? No idea why. It got replaced with a pretty involved jazz program. I've heard that you can get excused from PE if you're in color guard/marching band because of all the moving, is that true? And wow, I've never heard of the kalimba before! Any song recommendations featuring the instrument?

36 minutes ago, Coddiwomple said:

I'm not in any bands, but I sing in a chorus and play piano on my own.

I used to play piano! Unfortunately it wasn't the instrument for me- I couldn't handle that many notes at the same time, lol. What's your favorite style to play? Do you compose?

• Like 1

@Carbon-12 you gotta get your cake. Here you go:5c789437fafd1b720e4e358068183369.jpg

Also to answer your question I was part of an orchestra for several years (I think it was over five but I honestly have no idea). We have gone through three conductors at this point and I was one of the three people who were there from the first day, but the new conductor is having us play really basic music and this year allowed super young kids to join so rather than progressing in any way we are getting easier and easier music to play. That and the fact that I can't get a ride there and would have to run a mile with my violin right after school makes it so I have to quit. I did join a composing class though so I hope that'll be fun.

1 hour ago, Carbon-12 said:

Anyone else in band/orchestra around here? If so, what instrument do you play?:)

I'm in concert band. I play percussion.

Yes, I play violin!  

My school doesn't have any music classes, or orchestra or band or anything of the sort! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

• Like 1
actualcakebytheocean

Not band or orchestra but I'm a casual piano player. I took lessons for YEARS until it got repetitive and so I quit, but I still play from time to time. I was also in my school's band when I was little and I played the clarinet. And I was in choir, but solely because choir took place during PE and I hated PE so I would do anything to skip it lol

no-longer-in-use

I used to play piano! Unfortunately it wasn't the instrument for me- I couldn't handle that many notes at the same time, lol. What's your favorite style to play? Do you compose?

Lol, that's valid. It can get pretty confusing.

I really like romantic music. Debussy is one of my favorite composers to play. I also love me some Bach. And I love Vandall too--he's a modern composer who creates interesting duets like this that are really fun.

I wish I composed. I've tried before, but I don't really have the skill nor the patience for it. Maybe I'll try again someday, but for now I'm content to play others' creations.

6 hours ago, Coddiwomple said:

I wish I composed. I've tried before, but I don't really have the skill nor the patience for it.

Honestly, you can kind of learn to compose just by brute force. I just started by plugging notes into Musescore to write short flute solos, but, since you have piano skills (which are fantastic for a composer to have), you could start by improvising melodies and notating them down on paper or in a notation program (or you can even set up your piano to notate stuff in a program as you play it, but that can take some computing knowledge). You already play music so you have the ear for it - I guaruntee it.

I think people get hung up on the idea that they need to know tons of music theory to compose but, in my opinion, you don't need that to start. I didn't know what a chord was for the first few months I started composing - I didn't need to since I was just working with solo flute. Honestly, I think that if you start composing without extensive theory knowledge, it's less limiting.

So maybe try improvising a short 8 measure melody or two the next time you sit down to practice. And, if you feel up to it, write what you play down. Or you can improvise it with harmonic (or even polyphonic) accompaniment if you feel up to that. I think that's a good way to start getting used to translating your ideas onto paper.

I will now take my totally unsolicited advice and leave 😅.

• Like 3
no-longer-in-use
7 hours ago, iam135 said:

Honestly, you can kind of learn to compose just by brute force. I just started by plugging notes into Musescore to write short flute solos, but, since you have piano skills (which are fantastic for a composer to have), you could start by improvising melodies and notating them down on paper or in a notation program (or you can even set up your piano to notate stuff in a program as you play it, but that can take some computing knowledge). You already play music so you have the ear for it - I guaruntee it.

I think people get hung up on the idea that they need to know tons of music theory to compose but, in my opinion, you don't need that to start. I didn't know what a chord was for the first few months I started composing - I didn't need to since I was just working with solo flute. Honestly, I think that if you start composing without extensive theory knowledge, it's less limiting.

So maybe try improvising a short 8 measure melody or two the next time you sit down to practice. And, if you feel up to it, write what you play down. Or you can improvise it with harmonic (or even polyphonic) accompaniment if you feel up to that. I think that's a good way to start getting used to translating your ideas onto paper.

I will now take my totally unsolicited advice and leave 😅.

That's actually really useful advice. Thanks. Maybe I'll try composing again sometime.

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of musical people here! 

16 hours ago, •◡• said:

@Carbon-12 you gotta get your cake. Here you go:5c789437fafd1b720e4e358068183369.jpg

Also to answer your question I was part of an orchestra for several years (I think it was over five but I honestly have no idea). We have gone through three conductors at this point and I was one of the three people who were there from the first day, but the new conductor is having us play really basic music and this year allowed super young kids to join so rather than progressing in any way we are getting easier and easier music to play. That and the fact that I can't get a ride there and would have to run a mile with my violin right after school makes it so I have to quit. I did join a composing class though so I hope that'll be fun.

Thanks for the cake! And yeah, running a mile with a violin sounds not too fun, I can get why you'd quit. How's your composing class going? I joined a music theory class at school and tbh it's a little intimidating because so many of the other kids are in chorus and the teacher makes us sing solfege a lot. Also, the class is 80% dudes, so the teacher picks octaves for us to sing as a class that are middle-of-the-range for males (which like logistically makes sense) but unfortunately too low for me and too high if I want to jump an octave up lol. 

16 hours ago, Hayis4horses said:

I'm in concert band. I play percussion.

Which percussion instrument is your favorite to play? Last year the percussion folks at my school were fighting over who got to play the rain stick (idk if that's the official name, but it's this closed tube that makes a rain sound when you tilt it)

16 hours ago, iyote said:

Yes, I play violin!  

Do you play in the school band or by yourself? How long have you been playing? If you play in school- I have a bass friend who always complains thaf the basses never get any fun parts, is that really true?

16 hours ago, AuraKitty said:

My school doesn't have any music classes, or orchestra or band or anything of the sort! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

aww! Do you have any other kind of art? 

16 hours ago, actualcakebytheocean said:

Not band or orchestra but I'm a casual piano player. I took lessons for YEARS until it got repetitive and so I quit, but I still play from time to time. I was also in my school's band when I was little and I played the clarinet. And I was in choir, but solely because choir took place during PE and I hated PE so I would do anything to skip it lol

I took lessons for five years, the difference is I quit because I sucked at it, haha. And the loophole with choir/PE is smart! Anything to get out of physical activity XD

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Carbon-12 said:

How's your composing class going?

I've only been once but that was fun; I'm going again next week. I hope we don't have to sing much, I'm fairly embarrassed of that.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Carbon-12 said:

Do you play in the school band or by yourself? How long have you been playing? If you play in school- I have a bass friend who always complains thaf the basses never get any fun parts, is that really true?

School orchestra.  I've been playing for 6 years.  Bass is normally stuck with repetitive background parts, but luckily I'm first violin and we almost always get the melody.  : P

• Like 2
Celestial_Strawberry
On 9/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, Carbon-12 said:

Color guard counts! Sadly I'm in one of the three high schools in my state without a marching band- some people in administration thought it was too "militaristic"??? No idea why. It got replaced with a pretty involved jazz program. I've heard that you can get excused from PE if you're in color guard/marching band because of all the moving, is that true? And wow, I've never heard of the kalimba before! Any song recommendations featuring the instrument?

I know of at least one band in my area that has kind of a military marching style, but it's just their marching style. I don't really see why that would just take out marching band. Welp. At least the jazz program is active. As for the second point, yes! I'm doing color guard as my PE credit because I don't really like competitive sports and don't feel like taking Personal Conditioning (which I think is just like a more athletic focused health class? I have no idea.) or being a sports manager (cuz I don't want to deal with all that). Besides, band and guard is full of my kind of friends, so it seemed like a perfect fit. Finally, yeah, not a lot of people have heard of the kalimba. Some people refer to it as the thumb piano, if that helps at all (probably not). There's a YouTube channel I watch full of kalimba covers and music. It's "April Yang" if you want to check it out. I love kalimbas, they're so relaxing and cute and I wish more people knew about them ❤️ 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

I love kalimbas

Is a Kalimba the same as a Mbira/Ikembe?

I actually have an Ikembe from some eccentric neighbors that they got somehow from Rwanda (I think). Good thing for me is I know piano (had 15 years of lessons) so I can piece together enough to at least play some easy songs on it.

Celestial_Strawberry
1 minute ago, Aebt said:

Is a Kalimba the same as a Mbira/Ikembe?

I actually have an Ikembe from some eccentric neighbors that they got somehow from Rwanda (I think). Good thing for me is I know piano (had 15 years of lessons) so I can piece together enough to at least play some easy songs on it.

I don't really know if they're the same thing, but they are definitely very very similar. They're in the same family of instruments for sure. They might be different versions of the same instrument like how there are different kinds of saxophones or flutes or ukuleles etc.

• Like 1
On 9/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, Carbon-12 said:

aww! Do you have any other kind of art? 

I have art lessons sometimes, but no specific class. But I hate art anyways so........ 😅

• Like 1

So about a month or so ago I came out as ace to my mom, and i totally meant to post about it here but kept forgetting to do it until almost a month had passed. But anyway, i asked if she remembered the time i told her i liked guys, and she said yes. I said that was true but not the whole truth. I told her i liked guys, just not sexually. I dont think she quite understood at first, it's entirely likely she thought i didn't want a relationship at all (in reality i am a huge romantic, really want a relationship, yadda yadda yadda.), so i had to correct her and say i still wanted to date people, just not have sex with them. ever. I texted her some links to sites that i thought would help her understand (including AVEN!), and later on she texted me and said that she found an article that helped her understand it a little better, and thanks for still trusting her enough to tell her even though she knows she can say the wrong thing at times.

Honestly this might just be the year i come out of the closet all the way. I plan on telling my dad and stepmom in October, and maybe my older sister as well. Having friends online and irl who support me and care about me has made this a lot easier for me to do, and i cannot thank them enough for their love and acceptance. Even though those people may never see this, their support means so much to me. 

And to anyone reading this who may be afraid to come out: Regardless of wether you come out or not, regardless of what your parents or friends say, You are valid, and I care about you. 

• Like 13
44 minutes ago, ZooBot said:

You are valid, and I care about you. 

Oh wow thanks, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I needed right now. :)

• Like 5
coelacanthiformes
On 9/23/2019 at 6:22 AM, ZooBot said:

And to anyone reading this who may be afraid to come out: Regardless of wether you come out or not, regardless of what your parents or friends say, You are valid, and I care about you. 

wow i really needed this today, thank you! 

• Like 4
actualcakebytheocean
On 9/23/2019 at 6:22 AM, ZooBot said:

Thank you so much for this! Your words mean a lot to me and I'm sure many others😊

• Like 3