Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Comrade Kitty
9 hours ago, AmazingGrAce said:

I came to get involved with this thread, but then I realised that I turned 20 last month so I probably should just show myself out again!

Don't leave, we still want you. Being a teen is still fresh in your mind, so I think that qualifies.

11 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

Ok, so I came out to my dad almost a year ago as Ace, and he was fine with it. It was like 3 in the morning so I don't really remember what I said to explain it, but I know I explained how I don't want a sexual relationship with another person nor do I feel that kind of attraction to anyone.

Now, he's mad at me for "leading [my] boyfriend on" because I told him I loved him. My dad says I'm confused and that I told him I didn't want a romantic relationship and now I'm contradicting my earlier statement. My boyfriend is fully aware of what Asexuality is, and he is completely fine with it.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore, because my dad cuts me off whenever I try to explain that I'm Asexual, not Aromantic.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree with AmazingGrAce. And if you want to be even less direct you can leave open a site that describes asexuality on a computer he uses. This may not work but it might. You can also just show that you still identify as asexual.

• Like 1
AmazingGrAce
8 hours ago, AuraKitty said:

Don't leave, we still want you. Being a teen is still fresh in your mind, so I think that qualifies.

Thanks! I guess I can be an honourary teen still. 

• Like 2
Comrade Kitty

What sports do people do, if any?

mexicanpotato
12 hours ago, AuraKitty said:

Is going to the gym/working out in my living room a sport?

theAVENgers

I do skiing in UT.  Shoutout to Park City people!

Comrade Kitty
2 minutes ago, mexicanpotato said:

Is going to the gym/working out in my living room a sport?

No, it's not. I mean like competitive, or rec classes.

theAVENgers

If chess counts as a sport, I do that competitively.

• Like 3
Comrade Kitty
1 minute ago, HolaAces said:

If chess counts as a sport, I do that competitively.

That counts

13 hours ago, AuraKitty said:

Cross-country!  Also track.  

• Like 2
Comrade Kitty
1 minute ago, iyote said:

Cross-country!  Also track.  

GO TRACK!

• Like 2
purpleflavoredpi
On 7/13/2019 at 1:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

Rock climbing, although I don't do it competitively as much anymore, just the occasional comp

• Like 2
Green and Purple Dragon

Okay so what do I do when all my relatives think I’m hiding some secret boyfriend because I get awkward when they ask me about relationships?  I really don’t want to have an awkward talk about Asexuality and also being aromantic but it makes me really annoyed that they care so much about that kind of stuff.  Am I overthinking this?  Does this come with having an aunt because she’s always trying to pry into my life (she once tried forcing herself into my bedroom after my whole family said was off limits)

Green and Purple Dragon
On 7/13/2019 at 1:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

Does marching band count?  If not, then fencing and I used to do cross country

On 7/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

Does running to the closest antique stores count as a sport?

• Like 1
On 7/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

I used to do Track & Field, but now all I do is Robotics, which I doubt is a sport.

I used to swim a lot but now I just walk my pups and occasionally swim. 

On 7/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

I hike, and occasionally kayak, canoe, and move instruments around. I'd like to try out more rock climbing but I've never really had the chance.

no-longer-in-use
On 7/12/2019 at 10:41 PM, AuraKitty said:

Karate, but I haven't gone in a while. I also do kayaking sometimes (not competitively), and I love horseback riding but never get a chance to do it.

Celestial_Strawberry

I'm starting color guard at school this year. I might be starting aerial silks pretty soon, though. This should be interesting.

• Like 1

Totally random question, but does anyone have any little nuggets of college advice they'd like to give an incoming college freshman?

I wrapped up my 2-day orientation last week but my brain is still fried, so I want to ease myself back into thinking about college stuff before I go sorting through all of my newly acquired fliers and handouts. Figured getting some advice from my fellow AVENites would be a nice start!

Oh and if there are any college-bound high schoolers who have questions on the college search/application process front, feel free to throw them out here as well! I'll try to answer them as best I can.

ETA: Also I preemptively changed my location since I'm moving for school. Let me know if you get the pun 😉.

• Like 2
Pumpkins_and_penguins
On 7/13/2019 at 6:41 AM, AuraKitty said:

I ice skate :)

LemonCupcakes
On 7/17/2019 at 11:25 PM, iam135 said:

Totally random question, but does anyone have any little nuggets of college advice they'd like to give an incoming college freshman?

I mean in general, I’d say have fun! Try and be open to joining any clubs you can, etc (which is a great way to meeting new people and find friends with similar interests!), especially in the first few weeks. (I’m a very shy person, who is generally nervous to start conversations with people, but what really helped me was the reminder that everyone else is just as lost and confused in this new environment as you are. :))

Another thing, is to try your best to always keep up to date with your class work, do any assignments relatively early so they don’t pile up, and don’t procrastinate studying until the week before the exam (which is what I did and am now really regretting.)

On 7/17/2019 at 11:25 PM, iam135 said:

Also I preemptively changed my location since I'm moving for school. Let me know if you get the pun 😉

Are you moving to Ohio? (Or did I completely misinterpret that?) 

3 hours ago, LemonCupcakes said:

I mean in general, I’d say have fun! Try and be open to joining any clubs you can, etc (which is a great way to meeting new people and find friends with similar interests!), especially in the first few weeks. (I’m a very shy person, who is generally nervous to start conversations with people, but what really helped me was the reminder that everyone else is just as lost and confused in this new environment as you are. :))

Thank you so much! I'm really excited to start learning about all the clubs, but I'm worried about balancing that with a full course load (I'm dual majoring, so it's pretty likely that I'll be doing at least 18 credits every semester). That being said, I really regretting not being involved in extracirriculars in high school, so I'm eager to remedy that in college! What sorts of clubs were/are you involved in (if you don't mind me asking)?

4 hours ago, LemonCupcakes said:

Another thing, is to try your best to always keep up to date with your class work, do any assignments relatively early so they don’t pile up, and don’t procrastinate studying until the week before the exam (which is what I did and am now really regretting.)

Yeah I tend to be ok with studying, but I'm not sure how much more intense finals are going to be in college. Do you have any study tools you found particularly helpful? I mostly just use Quizlet but I don't know if that will be enough anymore 😖!

Are you moving to Ohio? (Or did I completely misinterpret that?)

Yep you got it 😁!

Alawyn-Aebt
55 minutes ago, iam135 said:

Yeah I tend to be ok with studying, but I'm not sure how much more intense finals are going to be in college. Do you have any study tools you found particularly helpful? I mostly just use Quizlet but I don't know if that will be enough anymore 😖!

In my experience college exams are not particularly that much harder, but I know some people who study for hours and still do not get A's on the tests, so to each their own. I have never really studied much personally (read -- never studied more than 1 hour per semester per class), but I know many people who study for hours a week. They use many methods: homemade flashcards, Quizlet, study groups, ect., on top of the omnipresent task of taking good notes. Good notes are important, do not go overboard but write it down if you did not already know it. If a class requires some level of memorization then try linking terms with something that is easy to remember; I also do that with names. If a class does not require memorization then think flexibly. E.g., In my history classes there was always the question "What was the historical significance of [x]?". I found that it was better not to spend time memorizing them, since you could usually think the answer up on the fly. Even though some professors will tell you not to, think what will be on the test before studying so as not to waste time.

But take what I say with a grain of salt, I may get good grades but I do the bare minimum studying for them. You might need to study for hours a week, or you might be like me and be able to just wing it every time.

• Like 2
LemonCupcakes
14 hours ago, iam135 said:

What sorts of clubs were/are you involved in (if you don't mind me asking)?

So far, I’m in choir and drama/theatre! I wanted to do more, but I didn’t have enough time considering my timetable is pretty full already 😅

14 hours ago, iam135 said:

Well, in my experience, uni exams are more intense/difficult/time-consuming than in high school, but it’s all doable. I don’t know how it is in the US, though, since I think you guys have a very different system to where I live (Germany). (And it probably also depends on what you’re studying and whether your classes are more essay-based or exam-based, etc). 

To study, I mostly use my notes from throughout the year (and the power-points from the lectures) and work through them again. I also use home-made cue cards, study with friends, put various pieces of paper with things I need to remember on all my walls, and use exam papers from previous years as practice. 

I’ve never heard of Quizlet before, is it good?

Edited by LemonCupcakes
  • Like 1

I’ve never heard of Quizlet before, is it good?

I personally really like Quizlet. It's essentially just digital flashcards but you can study them in a few different ways. Plus people can post their flashcards publically so you can find flashcards made by people who have taken the same/similar classes and use those to study as well. It's pretty hit or miss with people though - some of my friends love it and some don't.

Miss_Bookworm

Since I saw something about Quizlet, it reminded me of all the ones I have that I have literally NO use for anymore😂😂😂😂

If anyone is going into American HIstory 2, French 1 or 2, or Chemistry; I have an assortment of different quizlets to offer😂 Almost all of them are public, so go wild: https://quizlet.com/TaylorDeStefano

(pls tell me if the link doesn't work😂)

• Like 1
purpleflavoredpi

I love quizlet too, I'm terrible at memorizing, but quizlet has a variety of different learning methods so I find it very helpful. Personally flashcards don't work well for me, but the various typing "games" help a lot. Quizlet only helps if you need to memorize terms, but it's very good at that

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, PaxArrow said:

Quizlet live or kahoot?

My high school uses kahoot.