Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

@SmallBean, that's so cute! Gosh, I wish I were a good artist so I could make ace pride art...

@Omi, thanks! 

I get my PSAT scores back tomorrow, and I'm kind of nervous. I wasn't nervous at all for months but now I am, and even though I know that my scores have no reflection on me as a person, I still worry that I'm not as smart as I think I am. I don't know, it just feels like one of my most important attributes is my intelligence, and I don't want to face a score that says I'm not. At the same time, a really good score would almost make me feel more isolated, because I've never been able to find someone who's brain works like mine. Well, I found one person, but he's going to another school now-- I know it's a better school for him because it's private and can really challenge him, but I still wish that he'd stayed so I could have an intellectual foil. 

I don't know. I'm just talking at this point. 

@renee2345, absolutely. Would you like to PM me, or stay here in the forum? 

• Like 3
EnterCreativeName

I've graduated from high school and am in college now but I still call myself and other people kids. I always talk about this one kid in my class, or these kids that I met, though we are mostly all 18 and above. And I don't use the words man and woman much either. It feels very formal and I don't like it.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Wild_Witch_of_the_East said:

I say children to people older than me but really I'm the child. Hello children I am  about to be 16

This is the biggest mood. I address people older than me as children and kiddos 😂

• Like 3

Ooooooo y'all reminded me I got my PSAT scores back two days ago and forgot to check 😀 I got a great mark and I'm pretty happy about that since my grades this year are in the toilet.... I'm feeling the senioritis already 😞

• Like 6

Here's a sad story - my SAT score was actually lower than my PSAT. It wasn't by much to be fair - it was only a 20 point difference - but still 😆. That's why you take math during your junior year instead of doubling up your sophomore year.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, iam135 said:

Here's a sad story - my SAT score was actually lower than my PSAT. It wasn't by much to be fair - it was only a 20 point difference - but still 😆. That's why you take math during your junior year instead of doubling up your sophomore year.

That's gonna be me next year tbh 😂 and geez I couldn't imagine doubling up on math.... I can barely manage my 3 art classes and they aren't even academics aaaaaaa 👀💦

• Like 4

HALF OF MY CLASS JUST GOT SENT TO THE OFFICE BY A SUB FOR ASKING IF THEY COULD GET BREAKFAST!!! IT'S THERE SO KIDS THAT DON'T GET BREAKFAST AT HOME CAN EAT!! SHE SAID THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST EATEN AT HOME OR CAN WAIT TILL LUNCH!!!  What is it with this class and not great subs?!? Monday+Tuesday the sub that was here didn't do anything when they were PLANNING FIGHTS and EATING FISH FOOD!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SmallBean said:

HALF OF MY CLASS JUST GOT SENT TO THE OFFICE BY A SUB FOR ASKING IF THEY COULD GET BREAKFAST!!! IT'S THERE SO KIDS THAT DON'T GET BREAKFAST AT HOME CAN EAT!! SHE SAID THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST EATEN AT HOME OR CAN WAIT TILL LUNCH!!!  What is it with this class and not great subs?!? Monday+Tuesday the sub that was here didn't do anything when they were PLANNING FIGHTS and EATING FISH FOOD!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

I generally have a good history with subs. We got a sub teacher for basically this whole year because our teacher was on maternity leave and she was great! Especially when compared to the original who was honestly the worst. The grades below us got a sustitute teacher for physics and he was a cool dude but you could tell he was a terrible teacher, so we dodged that bullet I guess.

Tangent: I remember having PE teachers as normal teachers in grades 5 and 7 and I hated it so much. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SmallBean said:

I guess I always got lucky with subs, or maybe it was because I only went to actual school for one grade (rest homeschooled). Well, from my very limited experience they were always better than the actual teachers.

• Like 1

I can totally relate to the PSAT scores coming out. I almost forgot about them since they take soooooooo long to get released. My school is toxically competitive though and everyone immediately started comparing scores, which I totally hate

• Like 3

My OP is coming out in 12hrs and I’m kinda worried. Like I know it doesn’t define me but I wanna be proud of it. And I’m worried I’m gonna be disappointed 

• Like 1
On 12/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, chlorine7 said:

How did any of you guys know you were aromantic?

I kind of always knew, but couldn't put it into words. When I was a smol it was just a disinterest in future dating and marriage. Now that I'm older it's a disinterest in current dating and marriage. I adopted the asexual label as a catch-all (I couldnt tell the diff between romantic and sexual attraction because I didn't experience either). As for finding the aromantic label, probably some blog I stumbled upon? I didn't adopt the label till more recently because of questioning (I think that person looks really nice, could this be romantic attraction??? Spoiler: it wasn't oops)

• Like 2
no-longer-in-use
6 hours ago, Omi said:

My OP is coming out in 12hrs and I’m kinda worried. Like I know it doesn’t define me but I wanna be proud of it. And I’m worried I’m gonna be disappointed 

What's an OP?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Coddiwomple said:

What's an OP?

Wikipedia's telling me that it stands for Overall Position which is the standardized test in Queensland. Basically, every student takes a test and are then ranked in different "bands" between 1 (the highest) and 25 (the lowest). So it's like percentile rankings with a weird bell curve, from what I understand (an actual Australian can tell me if I'm wrong, which I probably am 😅).

• Like 2

😂 @iam135

pretty spot on!! 

@Coddiwomple

yeah it’s the sadidised test we take at the end of highschool that comepares is to every other student within Queensland (so a lot) as iam135 said it’s 25 to 1 (one being the best) 

its all good tho!! I got a 7 which I’m proud of 😊

• Like 5

I am finding slightly odd with you all talking about test. In the UK our big test are May - June - GCSE'S and A-levels.

Also I haven't been around here much for a while. Not sure why though.

• Like 2

I took the ACT which is the us version of a precollege exam and got a 19 out of 36.

But hilariously enough I took the TSI (for 2 year colleges in the Texas and made the equivalent of a 23 for ACT)

They always never give me enough time to do the ACT which makes me panic.

• Like 1

Around here we've got the ACT and SAT which I think are U.S. precollege exams. So far I've only taken the PSAT and got a 1360~ Nervous for the SAT though cause it has essays and those are rough!

• Like 2
On 12/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, SmallBean said:

Wow. I hate it when subs don't get their priorities straight. Like c'mon now! I have had sooooooooooooo many (100?) subs and maybe like 1 or 2 you could consider okay to good subs. Some are racist. Some don't care what anybody does. Some just send people out for all the wrong reasons. And probably the worst sub experience was when everyone was screaming and throwing crayons across the room for the entire period and the sub was in the middle of it all doing nothing (but at the same time she was really old, and people kept making fun of her low cut shirt, too), probably thinking about how she would never sub again. But, that class was so crazy that that same scenario (screaming, crayon throwing) happened when our normal teacher was there, too. There have also been times when people were blasting really loud music out of the computers, when we had a sub, and I don't think anything happened. Those scenarios happened in middle school, but now in high school, subs either don't care, or turn a blind eye to people giving each other drugs, or having drugs out in class (kids do it really subtly, though). Once, earlier this year, when there was no sub, and it was my real teacher, this kid vaped a few puffs in class when the teacher was on the opposite side of the room, her back facing him, and she never found out. My sister even tells me that once, this year, when there was a sub one of her friends was vaping a lot and the sub did not do anything (if I remember correctly), and they are in the 7th grade. I hate drugs and I feel like I am the only person in my city who thinks so. At least 2/3 of my school does drugs socially (or even more), and we are a school of about 3,000. Weed (especially weed) and vaping and juuling are definitely the most used at my school. Sorry, I just went on this rant right here.

• Like 2

Some subs are good but a few of them are dumb as a stack of bricks.

• Like 2
no-longer-in-use

My friends had a long-term sub for half the year last year who was homophobic, believed there were only two genders (my genderfluid friend was in his class...), and was a Trump supporter. He apparently talked about his beliefs all the time in class and frequently upset his students. Yikes.

• Like 1
Miss_Bookworm

Oooo, while we're on the topic of bad subs, let's talk about bad teachers!

So I normally can tolerate most teachers that I don't like, but this one English teacher I had last year was the worst.

Our first essay, he graded all of the rough drafts and we all got pretty good grades and he gave us small things to change (I think I got a  95 on it). So we all do the changes and expect to get high 90's.

He hands the essays back and most of us barely made it past an 80. I got a 79. I think some other kid got a 40 on it.

He complains how we all chose to be in an honors class and how we didn't follow clear directions and listen to him in class. There was this one thing he wanted in the essays (I think they were Lead-in sentences to our quotes) and no one knew how to do them because he went over it once in class in about 10 minutes.

Two months later he finally decides to give us the formal lesson on them. TWO MONTHS LATER.

• Like 4
AllTimeBubble
On 12/8/2018 at 12:14 PM, Forest Emerald19 said:

Hello! I just joined AVEN and I tentatively think I'm ace and aro, but I'm not super sure yet.  Since you guys were talking about romantic preferences, I was wondering how you would differentiate between close friends and dating someone in a purely romantic relationship?  I mean the general answer I get is that you want to kiss the person you are dating and wouldn't want to kiss a friend, but I don't want to kiss anyone.  Then they say it just feels different which is kind of unhelpful.  Is it really just a feeling that aromantic people don't get?  Or is there something else to it?

I have no idea, I asked my sister what a romantic crush feels like and she just told me it "feels like a smile" like, what does that even mean?

• Like 1
Maya the Composer
15 minutes ago, AllTimeBubble said:

I have no idea, I asked my sister what a romantic crush feels like and she just told me it "feels like a smile" like, what does that even mean?

For my musical, I needed to write a romantic-ish song, so I asked people on the newspaper I run what a romantic crush feels like, and here is a list of responses: 

"They are people I'd never pursue. I watch them from a distance."

"I feel giggly and get butterflies in my stomach."

"I think about them all the time and are what I look forward to at school."

"It's like having a best friend you want to be around all the time."

"They are very attractive." 

*continuous, ear-piercing, high-pitched screaming*

I hope that list was somewhat helpful @Forest Emerald19, but if not, it was entertaining (at least for me) at the very least.

• Like 7