Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

22 hours ago, Aebt said:

Me too, I love music and I like a good marching band; I love the idea of bringing live music to people. Sadly for that thought though I only play the piano, and it would look kind of silly to push a piano around behind the marching band.

I have often thought about figuring out a way to create a flashmob of musicians in downtown DC, but I don't know how I would move a piano easily.

The band teacher at our school tried to convince me to play in marching band. He wanted me to play keyboard. I don't know how that would work, but it's definitely a thing since the only other instrument i play is cello. (Accidentally said piano)

Edited by Neutral nerd
Typo
21 minutes ago, Neutral nerd said:

The band teacher at our school tried to convince me to play in marching band. He wanted me to play keyboard. I don't know how that would work, but it's definitely a thing since the only other instrument i play is piano. 

Well that sounds odd, wonder how that would work? I haven't the foggiest idea on how that would be practical.

10 hours ago, DeltaBird said:

There was a LGBTQIA unit, I forget what grade. They said that the 'A' stood for Ally, so after class me and my abro friend (who was feeling ace that day) went up to the teacher and discussed for a while about how it stood for asexuality, agender, abrosexual, and most sexualities/genders starting with a, because being an ally is a choice. He even went and looked it up, and concluded that all of them, even ally, were correct, but he said that he agreed with us more because you choose to be an ally. 

8 hours ago, Nightingales said:

Hahaha, no. Given it was a christian health book that my mom had me doing, and homosexuality wasn't mentioned either. And there really wasn't much sex ed stuff either tbh, just "your body's changed, but don't do anything until after marriage" and "is holding hands going too far?". Christian stereotypes when it comes to sex ed are quite accurate it seems. I actually didn't mind that they didn't go into detail with anything, cause asexual ya know? But I'm a little worried for my younger siblings if that's gonna be their curriculum. 

That's great! I agree that it can stand for all of the options, but it kinda depends on the context you're using it in I think.

3 hours ago, All The Thoughts said:

I would have to completely agree here. I know the general history with the letter as well as what people are trying to use it as today, but you still have to take into account the fact that some will prefer to use it one way, some the other, and even some who’ll use it just to get their point across. 

I wonder if the 'vagueness' of the meaning of the 'A' in LGBT+ can cause some consternation among asexuals?

3 hours ago, Aebt said:

Well that sounds odd, wonder how that would work? I haven't the foggiest idea on how that would be practical.

idk how your bands do things but mine does field shows more than parades & we have the pit percussion section & that would include keyboard

I have been busy and missed a lot.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:53 PM, fruoup said:

everyone got a water & orange emergen-c & what can I say? I liked it.

Same. I love it. It's good. Can't believe it is such an unpopular opinion to like Emergen-C. It more or less tastes like watery juice.

23 hours ago, Nightingales said:

My mom says she hates sarcasm, but she uses it all the time when she isn't paying attention

My mama is very sarcastic and I guess I get my sarcasm from her.

15 hours ago, will123 said:

For those of you that have had sex ed in school, was there any mention of asexuality in the curriculum?

No. The GSA (Gender & Sexuality Alliance) came to my class and explained what the acronym stood for and said that the A was for Asexual and just said that that is someone who doesn't experience sexual attraction. But, I doubt kids in my class even know the difference from romantic and sexual attraction.They probably think it is the same as Aromantic, which wasn't talked about at all.

• Like 1

I got given books about puberty for both biological sexs. (XX and XY) I don't know why though. Maybe my parents where worried I would suddenly lose a X and gain a Y.

7 hours ago, Tintinfan said:

I got given books about puberty for both biological sexs. (XX and XY) I don't know why though. Maybe my parents where worried I would suddenly lose a X and gain a Y.

That sounds interesting. And potentially helpful? But yeah, idk why they'd do that.

PSA:

I honestly didn't know what a period was until I got mine. It was scary. Educate your future kids please! (don't be my mom)

• Like 3
On 9/24/2018 at 12:32 AM, Nightingales said:

Also, I started making myself a friendship bracelet today (cause yes, you can be your own friend I guess) with the black/grey/white/purple stripes. Cause I wanted something I could wear, but I can't really go buy anything. So crafts! (Also, I had no grey string, so I colored white string with a grey marker. Improvisation, yay!)

That's so cool!

I made one as well, and my friends and I make jokes about it all the time!

Also, guess who got her first "it's just a phase comment"

• Like 1

Hey everybody guess what, I started college since the last time I posted here. Yayyy! Well sort of yay, anyway, it's a very different and weird experience rn.

I've also been wondering when/where the meetings and events for my new school's LGBT+ club (or group? idk) will be, because I am new to all this stuff. I have this perfect scenario in my mind that I will join and suddenly meet a bunch of nice people, maybe even several ace people there – it is a pretty big campus with a lot of people, and the 1/100 estimation applies, there HAVE to be some!! – and then I will make new friends, etc. etc. Have you guys had that experience at your schools so far? I am keeping my hopes up a little bit, though I'm not sure how things will pan out. After all, I've still not met any asexual in person up to this point. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

Oh no. That's awful. Hopefully it wasn't from anyone you know well?

2 hours ago, smittyw said:

I started college since the last time I posted here. Yayyy! Well sort of yay, anyway, it's a very different and weird experience rn.

Congratulations on starting College! It does feel weird when starting but eventually once you get settled into a routine and make some friends it starts to feel more natural. I hope you will enjoy it.

2 hours ago, smittyw said:

then I will make new friends, etc. etc. Have you guys had that experience at your schools so far?

Friends can be great! I have not been to my colleges LGBT+ Group because it is at a very inconvenient time, so none of my friends are asexual, but on the flip side my friends are mostly all interested in the same topics I am. The only problem is since they are not asexual I have sat through some odd conversations regarding their, um... "sexual feelings". When that happens I just try to redirect the conversation to something different.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Nightingales said:

Oh no. That's awful. Hopefully it wasn't from anyone you know well?

It was from one of my friends...

The only reason I told her about it was because I was explaining a situation to her about me and my friends. (They're lowkey mad at me for procrastinating on telling my boyfriend that I'm Ace)

Semiterrestrial Scientist
5 hours ago, Miss_Bookworm said:

Oh boy. I hope she is able to better her understanding in the future. 

I received my first comparison to an asexual organism that reproduces on its own. 

• Like 1

I think I just told my mom I am nonbinary and she did not take it very well. I didn’t even know I was nonbinary until just now

• Like 1

@SuperAceLogician and @Miss_Bookworm, that sucks! 

Well, I think we all can agree that it's not a phase and we're not asexual organisms. (But you have to admit- that would be wicked. Like, not the phase bit, but the asexual reproduction. Clone an identical copy of yourself? I would honestly love that...) 

But seriously, I'm sorry that someone said that to you. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, Nightingales said:

For those of you that have had sex ed in school, was there any mention of asexuality in the curriculum?

I poked the teacher using the anonymous question box, so, yes, we mentioned it briefly. He did a really good job with it, actually, starting with defining hetero, homo, and bisexuality, and then introducing asexuality. But as far as the curriculum, no. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Nightingales said:

PSA: I honestly didn't know what a period was until I got mine. It was scary. Educate your future kids please! (don't be my mom)

Memories of Sissy Spacek in Carrie  :(

• Like 2
Colonel Aureliano Buendía

I had a sex ed unit in health last year, and it was actually pretty good. Contraception, consent and other things were taught in a sensible, if occasionally humorous, way. It was completely inclusive of different sexualities, although asexuality was never specifically mentioned. (Health class actually always made me feel a little like a robot.) Sometimes the teacher would say boy/girlfriend and the students would actually correct her to parter, which was pretty funny because our class mainly knew about those things. I don't think the less high achieving classes did though.

Also, talking about reproduction in science, I have become known as "the clone girl" due to my constant talk of cloning myself, my love of strawberries and potatoes etc. It all made me realise something important. Fish are such hacks! They get to reproduce sexually without having sex. So the takeaway: be a mer-person. Also strawberries are the best.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Athena32 said:

Clone an identical copy of yourself? I would honestly love that...) 

If there were more than on of me the world would have blown up already ;) and I definitely wouldn't do it if the clone were younger, because past me was very stupid. And I hate babies. And my parents might freak out. 

• Like 2

The only sex-ed I had was from reading medical books. I am homeschooled and mom didn’t really aver give me “the talk”. I didn’t fully understand how sex even worked until last year though. I knew that I would get a period but I didn’t know what it was for and for some reason I thought it would stop when women turned 18. 

I would love to clone myself. We could switch turns doing homework. 

10 hours ago, ~Adair~ said:

Fish are such hacks! They get to reproduce sexually without having sex. So the takeaway: be a mer-person. Also strawberries are the best.

So I take it you would think mermaids (and their male counterparts) would have a reproductive system simlar to fish?

I never thought of that before LOL

I Googled male version of mermaid and 'male version of little mermaid' came up:

https://goo.gl/images/fySkmz

Ariel's brother or boyfriend (not familiar with the movie)? 

• Like 1

Guys I just thought I'd let you all know that Ive just seen that the BBC have done a programme on asexuals and it's actually quite good!😁 Its on BBC three on YouTube if you don't live in England😊

• Like 3
All The Thoughts
On 9/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, Jazzashark said:

Guys I just thought I'd let you all know that Ive just seen that the BBC have done a programme on asexuals and it's actually quite good!😁 Its on BBC three on YouTube if you don't live in England😊

I’ll be sure to check it out in a bit!

First though, I need to get something out and figured this would be the most relevant place. Anyone else struggle with a noisy stomach in class? I understand it wouldn’t be good if there was absolutely no noise everyday but it’s excessively loud and frequent, which REALLY sucks. I would eat or drink something if my teachers actually allowed it, but of course they wouldn’t because it would mean something actually went my way. Is there anything I could try to stop it from happening or at least quiet it down to virtually nothing? It’s seriosuly getting on my last nerves and we’re not even an entire quarter into the school year.

1 hour ago, All The Thoughts said:

I’ll be sure to check it out in a bit!

First though, I need to get something out and figured this would be the most relevant place. Anyone else struggle with a noisy stomach in class? I understand it wouldn’t be good if there was absolutely no noise everyday but it’s excessively loud and frequent, which REALLY sucks. I would eat or drink something if my teachers actually allowed it, but of course they wouldn’t because it would mean something actually went my way. Is there anything I could try to stop it from happening or at least quiet it down to virtually nothing? It’s seriosuly getting on my last nerves and we’re not even an entire quarter into the school year.

If it's because you're hungry, maybe try having a bigger breakfast/lunch so you're not as hungry throughout the day.

On 9/25/2018 at 1:00 PM, Aebt said:

I have not been to my colleges LGBT+ Group because it is at a very inconvenient time, so none of my friends are asexual, but on the flip side my friends are mostly all interested in the same topics I am. The only problem is since they are not asexual I have sat through some odd conversations regarding their, um... "sexual feelings". When that happens I just try to redirect the conversation to something different.

Yeah same here!! Club timing is a big obstacle, the other club I've been wanting to join for animation/illustration is on Fridays, when I would have to commute to school in the middle of my day off. I am crossing my fingers that the LGBT+ group has more accessible timing.

Oof I HATE having those conversations with friends... although it sounds like you have it a lot worse, if they are explicitly talking about "sexual feelings" rather than just crushes and all that. Yikes. As much as I'd like for my friends to know I am ace, I don't want that awkwardness to be felt on both sides, since "asexual" is such an isolating term for people who don't really understand what it means.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:08 PM, Jazzashark said:

That's cool!! I will definitely check it out.

Speaking of programs about asexuals....... anybody caught up on the new season of Bojack?? Even though most of the main characters' lives are just getting sadder, I am happy that they continued to gift us with ace content via our favorite Todd

• Like 1

I watched the program- I found it on YouTube, and it was really well done. Some of it made me sad, because I related to what they were saying, but it was well done. 

17 hours ago, All The Thoughts said:

Anyone else struggle with a noisy stomach in class?

Only occasionally-- it sounds like it's much more frequent for you. I agree with Miss Bookworm, that more food might help, but I would also suggest treating it like a science experiment- cut one thing out of your diet for a few days, and see the noise still bothers you. Try cutting/reducing your gluten, or maybe the dairy that you eat? You might be intolerant to something, and if you can get a rough idea of what it is, you can minimize your consumption of it. 

If it's really super terrible (consistently disturbing your learning), maybe ask your doctor?

On 9/26/2018 at 6:31 AM, SuperAceLogician said:

I would love to clone myself. We could switch turns doing homework. 

I'm convinced. Less work for me.

• Like 1

How do you tell your mother that she talks too much in the middle of an hour long conversation that is 90%her talking?

Nightingales
3 hours ago, SuperAceLogician said:

How do you tell your mother that she talks too much in the middle of an hour long conversation that is 90%her talking?

I'd just say either "I don't really feel like talking right now." or "I have a headache." The second excuse is good, cause people can't blame you for having a headache, and they can't tell if you're faking.

• Like 2