Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

averytaryn
Just now, Julia Schwartz said:

I'm really stressed actually. Our state writing competition is tomorrow, and my coach thinks that I could actually place! I'm never gonna fall asleep. How's your day going? 

Oh wow,I hope you place, that's awesome!! Don't stress, whatever happens, happens! My day was pretty okay, actually, I didn't have to stay after school for theatre (for once) and I think i did pretty good on my German test. What was your writing thing about?

@Julia SchwartzGood luck on your competition! I’m sure you’ll do great

@averytaryn That’s great that you think you did well on your test. One of my friends is learning German and he’ll just tell everyone about random words like “antibabypillen” and “krankenwagen” 

Infernales
On 5/14/2018 at 3:23 AM, Hayis4horses said:

I would say behind screen, because people's peers won't judge them. I think fitting in, in real life, is what people strive for, so depending on who their with, really changes their personality.

I think depends on the person too. For myself, I'm more open in real life, and more inclined to random comments, because real time conversations. But it's easier to talk, since you wouldn't see the facial response, I guess.

18 hours ago, Rosoideae said:

One of my friends is learning German and he’ll just tell everyone about random words like “antibabypillen” and “krankenwagen” 

German seems like such a goofy language. I'm very excited since I'll start learning it next year! I'll probably start practicing some this summer since I'll be doing one class per term rather than one per year like most people do, and that might be quite intense. I just want to learn a lot of german when I still have the chance. I guess I'll use duolingo but if anyone has any other tips for learning german hit me uP

• Like 1
Julia Schwartz
21 hours ago, averytaryn said:

Oh wow,I hope you place, that's awesome!! Don't stress, whatever happens, happens! My day was pretty okay, actually, I didn't have to stay after school for theatre (for once) and I think i did pretty good on my German test. What was your writing thing about?

So you basically get three prompts and have 40 minutes to write an entire short story for each prompt. I wish our school offered German! That's so cool! And I didn't place, but my team is a bunch of nerds so we still had a great time.

According to one set of friends i am a jock ( because i love doing sport). To another set i am a nerd ( because i get out random nonfiction books and read them and ingest the content). 

So I am a jerd.

Oh hi fellow teenagers. 

If i haven't welcomed anyone welcome... have cake! :cake:

• Like 1
Julia Schwartz
5 hours ago, Tintinfan said:

According to one set of friends i am a jock ( because i love doing sport). To another set i am a nerd ( because i get out random nonfiction books and read them and ingest the content). 

So I am a jerd.

Oh hi fellow teenagers. 

If i haven't welcomed anyone welcome... have cake! :cake:

Finally someone else who is both! Jerd is a great word xD

averytaryn
On 5/18/2018 at 8:15 PM, Rosoideae said:

@Julia SchwartzGood luck on your competition! I’m sure you’ll do great

@averytaryn That’s great that you think you did well on your test. One of my friends is learning German and he’ll just tell everyone about random words like “antibabypillen” and “krankenwagen” 

Thanks. Haha, gotta love those German Frankenwords ;)

averytaryn
On 5/19/2018 at 2:38 PM, hejsandra said:

German seems like such a goofy language. I'm very excited since I'll start learning it next year! I'll probably start practicing some this summer since I'll be doing one class per term rather than one per year like most people do, and that might be quite intense. I just want to learn a lot of german when I still have the chance. I guess I'll use duolingo but if anyone has any other tips for learning german hit me uP

Duolingo is pretty helpful when it comes to teaching yourself, but it can also be quite confusing as it doesn't really outline the rules of sentence structure and grammar all too well. Another good online platform to use would be memrise, or you could probably get the Deutsch Aktuell textbook set for really cheap off of Amazon (that's what my school uses as the standard textbook, it's kind of old, but really understandable!)

• Like 1
averytaryn
On 5/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, Julia Schwartz said:

So you basically get three prompts and have 40 minutes to write an entire short story for each prompt. I wish our school offered German! That's so cool! And I didn't place, but my team is a bunch of nerds so we still had a great time.

That sounds cool, I'm glad you had a good time :)

Hayis4horses
On 5/20/2018 at 11:23 AM, Tintinfan said:

So I am a jerd.

I would say that I am not a nerd, but not popular. I have some friends who are kinda-nerdy, and some who are kinda-popular. But, I am just in the middle. I feel like some of my nerdier friends think I am more popular and some of my popularer friends think I am more nerdy.

AcornCarvings
On 5/20/2018 at 1:23 PM, Tintinfan said:

So I am a jerd.

Saaaamme with the jock to some, nerd to others! If it's cool with you, I'm totally going to start using "jerd"!

Neutral nerd

I'm just that kid that does whatever. I like reading and videogames and writing & basketball & music & art & being weird, but I also chat with people and am generally decent. And I'm no stranger to anger (4 siblings) and when someone kept on stealing my basketball I eventually just chased them and punched them. It was fun but got boring quickly, nobody took anything too seriously and were pretty much fine now. Overall I'm a human (duh!!) and have a lot more sides than everyone sees, for example it's obvious I'm not feminine but most outside of family don't know about my dysphoria. I kinda want to know how everyone else sees me, I try hard most of the time and often succeed, but sometimes I feel like everything's wrong and I'm really confused. 

German does seem like a fun language! I have learned some words on Duolingo but I’m not too good at stringing them together into coherent sentences.

My school has German exchange students come and visit every year, and they are really fluent in English as well. It always makes me so jealous of their education system because here in the states you’re only able to start formally learning another language in high school.

22 hours ago, Neutral nerd said:

I kinda want to know how everyone else sees me, I try hard most of the time and often succeed, but sometimes I feel like everything's wrong and I'm really confused. 

I think of this a lot. I want to know what others see me as, but at the same time I am happy not to know whether they think badly of me. 😅 I am not good at social interactions so I always worry that i did something wrong, even with my close friends.

Julia Schwartz
2 hours ago, smittyw said:

German does seem like a fun language! I have learned some words on Duolingo but I’m not too good at stringing them together into coherent sentences.

My school has German exchange students come and visit every year, and they are really fluent in English as well. It always makes me so jealous of their education system because here in the states you’re only able to start formally learning another language in high school.

This frustrates me too! I would have loved to learn another language earlier, like in elementary school, but noooo, we Americans must speak "American" only 😂. We have an exchange student from Ukraine, and she can speak fluent French, Russian  German, and English

• Like 1
4 hours ago, smittyw said:

It always makes me so jealous of their education system because here in the states you’re only able to start formally learning another language in high school.

1 hour ago, Julia Schwartz said:

This frustrates me too! I would have loved to learn another language earlier, like in elementary school, but noooo, we Americans must speak "American" only 😂. We have an exchange student from Ukraine, and she can speak fluent French, Russian  German, and English

I wish schools in the US took learning languages more seriously. I feel bad that so many people in other countries learn to speak English so well and we barely learn anyone else’s languages

• Like 2
Hayis4horses
1 hour ago, marcothepumpkin said:

life is hard

That's why it's life. :P But, PM me if u wanna talk.

Hayis4horses

On a seperate note, if someone wants to read this, it is about me questioning if I experience romantic attraction:

I always thought I had crushes. But recently I found the term squish. I though that summed up a few of my "crushes". I also never find people pretty, so when I recently found out about aesthetic attraction, I realized that I had mistaken a few beautiful people for "crushes". But, I do think I have a crush right now. I feel happy around them and get embarrassed and blush when my BFF talks about me liking them. I don't think they are pretty, but I love their personality. I thought I might want to date (I have never dated/thought about dating) them, which is a first. But, when I picture a date, I just think of holding hands and talking, with the occasional hug or arms wrapped shoulders. Possibly a kiss on the cheek, if I date them for a really long time. I can never picture myself kissing them. Ever. Not even if I marry them. (But, this could be because I am a very extreme germaphobe) As far as I can tell, the only big difference betweeen platonic and romantic feelings are kissing. Anyway, I do not really know if these feelings are actually considered romantic or not.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hayis4horses said:

On a seperate note, if someone wants to read this, it is about me questioning if I experience romantic attraction:

I always thought I had crushes. But recently I found the term squish. I though that summed up a few of my "crushes". I also never find people pretty, so when I recently found out about aesthetic attraction, I realized that I had mistaken a few beautiful people for "crushes". But, I do think I have a crush right now. I feel happy around them and get embarrassed and blush when my BFF talks about me liking them. I don't think they are pretty, but I love their personality. I thought I might want to date (I have never dated/thought about dating) them, which is a first. But, when I picture a date, I just think of holding hands and talking, with the occasional hug or arms wrapped shoulders. Possibly a kiss on the cheek, if I date them for a really long time. I can never picture myself kissing them. Ever. Not even if I marry them. (But, this could be because I am a very extreme germaphobe) As far as I can tell, the only big difference betweeen platonic and romantic feelings are kissing. Anyway, I do not really know if these feelings are actually considered romantic or not.

Thoughts?

I feel almost the same way, except I am very doubtful I've ever experienced a real romantic crush even now that I know the difference between types of relationships. I can't imagine myself kissing someone either, or otherwise acting the way most people do when dating (holding hands and hugs are nice, but at the same time I would do those with my regular old friends too). It's weird for me to think about, because I just can't see myself being "that person"; but you never know, maybe I could have a crush in the future.

I think your feelings could be considered romantic, because romance is slightly different for everyone. Maybe you are not a big fan of things like kissing, but you still have the "butterflies in your stomach" feeling about this person and you want to spend lots of time with them, going on dates and getting to know them. Sounds like a crush to me. :))

In the end it's up to you, of course. If you want to step out of your comfort zone and try dating your crush then go for it! My advice is to just make sure they are on the same page, and know about how you feel.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:39 AM, Rosoideae said:

I wish schools in the US took learning languages more seriously. I feel bad that so many people in other countries learn to speak English so well and we barely learn anyone else’s languages

Ya I feel the same way. I am on exchange in Switzerland and everyone I meet speaks german, french and english and sometimes more and all I know is english.

averytaryn
On 5/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, marcothepumpkin said:

life is hard

I feel ya there m8

So I read page 1 and can we bring back teenage coroner because I haven't seen it on page 67 although I've only read those two pages so Idk maybe it was more talked about??? Either way I think we should have a whole thread dedicated to it. Who's with me???

• Like 1
awkward_one34
1 hour ago, Shan1127 said:

So I read page 1 and can we bring back teenage coroner because I haven't seen it on page 67 although I've only read those two pages so Idk maybe it was more talked about??? Either way I think we should have a whole thread dedicated to it. Who's with me???

Welcome :cake::cake::cake:. It was talked about a bit more and they made a thread for it although it has kind of died out. They also started to write it too. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oZ1m_5vnd1EyWRT_NhcD91c8yzAeEanZH18UB2NfvBs/edit?usp=sharing

Hayis4horses
On 5/23/2018 at 10:51 PM, smittyw said:

If you want to step out of your comfort zone and try dating your crush then go for it! My advice is to just make sure they are on the same page, and know about how you feel.

Hahaha. My crush does not like me like that at all. But, it's cool if we are friends. Never really understood why people need to date people and can't be okay with just being friends. And it would be weird if I told my crush that I liked them because they would probably feel awkward and wouldn't wanna be my friend.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hayis4horses said:

Never really understood why people need to date people and can't be okay with just being friends. And it would be weird if I told my crush that I liked them because they would probably feel awkward and wouldn't wanna be my friend.

True! It's too bad that they feel differently but you seem very understanding about it. After all, being good friends is a great thing in itself!

On a similar note, two of my school acquaintances (one of which was my BFF in elementary school) recently started dating, and had the CUTEST promposal ever. They have been really close friends for about six years now and eventually knew that they had feelings for each other, but waited until they both wanted to start dating. I think that is great and I'm so happy for them, because they were both caring enough to each other to stay friends no matter what. So I would say, some people are okay with just being friends, and in some cases you don't have to feel awkward in expressing your interest because they will still appreciate your company. :))

• Like 1
On 5/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, Aroace_bookworm said:

Well then they get out in may

Yep, that's what we do

The snake business is still going on... yup that’s me haha, the school snake. It would feel better to get beat up since anyone would actually see that as a problem. These people euphemize the term “bullying” as just “treating like sh**” like it’s better. People love playing with definitions. They hide from guilt with sarcastic/ironic humor. Pretty bad, right? It was just one comment today, but it was so blunt & he wasn’t there to protect me; I had to leave school early to keep my mental health.

1 hour ago, fruoup said:

The snake business is still going on... yup that’s me haha, the school snake. It would feel better to get beat up since anyone would actually see that as a problem. These people euphemize the term “bullying” as just “treating like sh**” like it’s better. People love playing with definitions. They hide from guilt with sarcastic/ironic humor. Pretty bad, right? It was just one comment today, but it was so blunt & he wasn’t there to protect me; I had to leave school early to keep my mental health.

whoa man that sounds pretty bad... I definitely feel this as a reality for our generation right now. The majority of my friends don't use the term "bullying" in relation to themselves or anyone they know, but they are constantly having to vent about people who have lied to them consistently, treated them "like s**t" as you said, or left them at the blink of an eye without notice. No one is willing to accept the fact that this stuff is both unacceptable and completely unnecessary; it's not just a part of who someone is, it is a learned behavior that is allowed to continue. And yet, my friends and others our age will so often go back to calling these bullies their "friends" as if nothing happened. I really hope you can get more support soon and put the bullying to an end, and I wish you the best with your mental health in this situation. You deserve much better than this. :((

• Like 3