Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

hello yes I am the teenager

I think shipping real people (barring, like, actors/singers because we don't know them personally, we only see their manufactured personas, and come on, who hasn't thought that Teen Pop Sensation X who collaborated with Teen Pop Sensation Y wouldn't look cute together at least once?) is kind of off-putting. I think the closer you are to someone, the exponentially creepier it gets to ship them with someone. There's a BIG difference between saying "Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza would really be cute together IRL!" and "Omg, I totally ship you with that cute guy from Biology!". 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Laurathenerd said:

Does anyone here have problems with "shipping?"

I recently became friends with a girl and we have quickly become friends. Recently though, people have started shipping us, and several people think we are dating. There is one boy in particular (who knows I am asexual) who keeps asking if we are more than just friends. Normally I don't mind shipping, but this is becoming slightly annoying.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and what are your thoughts on shipping or being shipped?

This happens to me too. My friend knows that I possibly like girls (I'm still a little confused) and that my other friend does like girls, so she would constantly "ship" us together. I learned to say, "no, we aren't dating", but since I know it's not done with malicious intent I laugh a little too.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

I think shipping real people (barring, like, actors/singers because we don't know them personally, we only see their manufactured personas, and come on, who hasn't thought that Teen Pop Sensation X who collaborated with Teen Pop Sensation Y wouldn't look cute together at least once?) is kind of off-putting. I think the closer you are to someone, the exponentially creepier it gets to ship them with someone. There's a BIG difference between saying "Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza would really be cute together IRL!" and "Omg, I totally ship you with that cute guy from Biology!". 

I agree. I still think that shipping actors together, especially the younger ones, is still pretty weird, unless you just say something like, "Oh yeah, person and other random actor would be cute together" but if it's like really really shipping someone like you do in books and tv shows, I find that pretty creepy and weird.

• Like 4
Fantastic Name
3 hours ago, ThePurpleCat said:

I still think that shipping actors together, especially the younger ones, is still pretty weird, unless you just say something like, "Oh yeah, person and other random actor would be cute together" but if it's like really really shipping someone like you do in books and tv shows, I find that pretty creepy and weird.

Definitely. While actor/celebrity/whatever personas are practically fictional characters themselves, there's something a bit off about shipping them. Characters are fair game, but there's something weird about shipping those kinds of people. Might have to do with the fact that they're real people with real names, and that there is a real person behind the mask. I dunno.

4 hours ago, Toothpaste Fairy said:

I'm not the biggest fan of "shipping", mainly due to the confusion it's caused me in the past (just because I'm friends with some guy doesn't mean I'm interested in him and we'd be a great couple, stop saying that or I'll start believing your lie). As long as people don't actively pester others about it I guess it's okay, even if I don't particularly like it or understand why people do it.

Ship names are fun though, playing with words is neat and sometimes I'll come up with them for friends in definitive romantic relationships.

(Also I'm pretty new here, so, hello!)

I just never understood shipping in general. I never found what's so interesting about the whole "will-they-or-won't-they" thing. Personally, I just find it a huge waste of both time and mental resources. I mean, middle school and high school relationships almost never last, so why dedicate so much time to speculating who's with who if it's inevitably going to end in just a couple of weeks? 

Though,  I do agree with the whole ship name thing. They're always fun. :D

• Like 2
On 11/27/2017 at 4:26 PM, ChillaKilla said:

hello yes I am the teenager

I find shipping real people in general is just really weird. I mean...they *are* still real people with real emotions and opinions, I'm sure they don't like people shouting "YOU TWO SHOULD DATE!!!1!!!!1!!!" at them all the time, just as much as any normal person would.

Though I don't even ship fictional characters that often, and sometimes I think that's pretty weird, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

• Like 1

@Dreammaker As long as you keep it to yourself, I think it's more or less harmless.

• Like 3
Chrissy Noelle

Heyo Heyo, I heard this is where teens go. So here I am.

Any gaming nerds here???

10 hours ago, Chrissy Noelle said:

Any gaming nerds here???

I played videogames until a few months ago. First semester of college, I don't have time for it anymore. Most days I have just enough time for one meal a day, classes, and homework. Everything else (this website) cuts in to when I should be asleep. Next semester I'm putting time in my schedule for food when there are dining areas open..... But yeah, I played videogames. I'll probably start again during break.

• Like 1
Fantastic Name
15 hours ago, Chrissy Noelle said:

Any gaming nerds here???

*raises hand awkwardly*

Quality_Penguins
8 hours ago, Lirpaderp said:

I played videogames until a few months ago. First semester of college, I don't have time for it anymore. Most days I have just enough time for one meal a day, classes, and homework. Everything else (this website) cuts in to when I should be asleep. Next semester I'm putting time in my schedule for food when there are dining areas open..... But yeah, I played videogames. I'll probably start again during break.

Boi I feel that. I love videogames too, though I mostly play Pokemon since it can be mindless at times and I can do it while still talking to my friends (or in Calc class :P), though I like Fire Emblem and a few others as well. But yeah college is a struggle.

For the whole shipping thing, as a girl who has a lot of close friends who are male, I find it annoying. People can be close friends without liking each other, why is that so hard to wrap your head around? Ship names are kinda funny, but not if they get used a lot. I mean if you know two people like each other it can be kinda cute, but beyond that it's just weird.

• Like 5

About the shipping thing, it is typically a pain with actual people.

Edited by aceofwaves
Couldn't delete the post.
  • Like 1
Chrissy Noelle

Shipping ey? Sadly I have zero offline friends but my best friend who lives across the country gets shipped with me a lot, or at best, assume we dated once. It can be at first glance or after awhile, I guess people just see how close we are and want to think we're in a romantic relationship. Even though he's a lot older than I am and has a girlfriend already. About 20 people total have done this and I can confirm it is incredibly annoying. I can even pull out the "he's much older than me" card and people STILL do it! Luckily I don't talk to much of those 20 people anymore. 

• Like 1
Toothpaste Fairy
On 2017-11-29 at 3:24 PM, Chrissy Noelle said:

Any gaming nerds here???

As much as I’d love to be one, I wouldn’t call myself a gaming nerd. I don’t ever have time with school (because I am slow and I’ve convinced myself any time spent playing games is time could’ve spent on schoolwork, I’m not even in university yet, gah) and I also don’t have enough confidence to act on my interests without an external push.  

But I still play them during holidays and breaks, typically whatever games my brother gets and I like. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty much a huge nerd for gaming. I often do have to fund my gaming stuffs by myself (luckly I do have a job that pays enough) but I often game on PC and Xbox. I mostly play on weekends when school is in but I do play a lot more in holidays and when school is out for the year

I don't really ship. Not my thing

• Like 1
The Never One
On November 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Incognite said:

Hi there, I'm new here and was wondering how do you guys feel about your non-ace friends? I personally feel de attached to them in the sense that being teenagers all they talk about when getting together it's sex or getting drunk at parties or who screwed who. I have no ace friends so I would love to hear opinions about this.  

I tend to choose friends with a lack of intrest in boys by coincidence. I have one friend who is straight but she has never said a word to me about boys or romance we talk about cats and embarassing moments in our lives and joke about anything , I have another friend who is gay and she was the first friend I told I was ace and It went well. She is thoughtful of me and when we watch anime she skips the innaproprate parts she knows I wont like XD I hope she gets a girlfriend because she deffiatley deserves it being the awsome friend she is:) I have another friend who is a girl and has shown intrest in boys but she does not talk much about boys as it is. Personally I am not aromantic and would enjoy the company of a boyfriend but I dont know any ace boys. I dont mind being single at the moment nor am I desprate for a relationship but in the long run I dont wish to be lonely. 

• Like 5
HufflepuffAce24601
On 11/12/2017 at 6:54 PM, Incognite said:

Hi there, I'm new here and was wondering how do you guys feel about your non-ace friends? I personally feel de attached to them in the sense that being teenagers all they talk about when getting together it's sex or getting drunk at parties or who screwed who. I have no ace friends so I would love to hear opinions about this.  

Most of my close friends who are allo don't really talk about people that they're dating or they're interested in a lot. Even when those who do occasionally talk about it aren't straight either, which for some reason makes it easier to handle. As for more acquaintance-type friends who are straight and do talk about these things, I sort of drift away quietly while silently thinking to myself, "Ha! Don't relate." I also have a couple of ace friends, though, so it's not too bad.

• Like 1

I have only online friends right now. My best friend is allo, and he's very understanding and accepting. He mentions sex and things like that sometimes (not graphically), but I'm okay with it, and he doesn't pressure me into anything.

• Like 1
awkward_pterodactyl
On 4/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, flowerage said:

Hi! A lot of you guys talked about not being able to make a ton of legitimate friends (me too yay!) even though you're really nice ...do you think it's part of being ace/aro/etc./not being able to identify with allosexual people? I WANT TO KNOW SO BADLY and I really would appreciate anyone's opinions - 

(I'm also salty that we don't have an asexual version of a gay-dar - who can I sue? :lol:)

When I realized that the people I hung out with were kinda like Rowan220’s, I ditched them and went looking for a new friend. I saw a lonely kid sketching against the lockers and decided this. this will be my friend. I hung out with her and some friends of friends and just kept picking up outcasts until we had a little group. I think we just relate because most of us are depressed, one’s bi, one’s gay, I’m ace, one’s deaf, one’s severely anxious, and we’re all just weird together. But now that it has been brought to my attention, why DON’T we have an ace radar? An.. acedar? An amoeba scanner? An ace tracer?

• Like 1
awkward_pterodactyl

Alright, I have a question for you guys. There are a few stereotypes for aces (liking cake etc) but I discovered that we’re supposed to like dragons. Personally, I’m obsessed with these giant lizards. Do you, too, or is this not actually all that common among the amoebas?

Personally I love dragons, everything and anything to do with dragons.

I have however met people here that are just meh about dragons too. 

Fantastic Name

@awkward_pterodactyl Wait... That's a stereotype? since when? :huh:

Anyway, I love dragons. Sometimes, I'll hear my friends talking about how they all went through "princess phases" when they were little, but I never did. I went through a dragon phase.

I don't have anything against dragons, but I'm not obsessed with them or anything.

Hello^_^

I'm new and just wanted to say hello and ask you all a question: Do your parents know that you are ace? My mom knows and thinks, it's something I made up... Also, dragons are awesome:D

• Like 2

Only my mum knows, her reaction was "thats a good choice for you right now as you won't have any distractions" (I was in the middle of doing A levels at the time). As though it's something I could change once exams are over! 

My parents don't really know. My mom did ask me about AVEN once, and wondered if it was a site for different sexual orientations. I told her it was for asexuality. She asked me if I connected that to myself, and I gave some noncommittal response. We haven't talked about it apart from that.

Dragons? Invisible dragons that look really mystical when you look in the right places! 

Honestly, I draw more magical stuff tbh

Oh I have a question why is it so important to some people that you tell you parents that u are ace? 

33 minutes ago, :)(: said:

Whhhyyyy......

They fly and breath fire! Some of them are adorable and others are kick-ass. They can be the good or bad guy of a story too. I rate dragons as better than pegasus. Even though pegasus are flying unicorns.

• Like 2