tape and binding , I need advice

AVEN #1 fan

Hey, what  are the concerns of long term binding with tape? I heard athletic tape is perfect bc it doesn't irritate the skin.

Can you break tissue or mess with nerves? I'm worried and heard tape is as safe as using a sports bra or a binder. What are your opinions?

Here's what it looks like:

Is tape as dangerous as ace bandages?

Luftschlosseule

I am wearing kinesio tape often on my arm, because I have weak joints. This tape adds stability and is good to get more muscles to work, to get some strength in there.
Yes, it's developed for being worn often, and after two weeks of constant wearing you may only need a day or two to let your skin breathe. Or at least, that's the case for me, and you should try it on your skin.

I know from some German cosplayers, that it's a once in a while option, but I don't think that there are any long term experiences yet.

Problem is: When you get this for medical reasons, they show you the way it's applied so that you don't break tissue or damage nerves. I know how to tape my hand without doing any damage. You apply it without shoving anything together, so it's entirely different to chest binding and I know that I, personally, would get nerve damage in form of unwanted tingling. My body doesn't like being squeezed.

Also, when you do it like this you have skinfolds which will lead to the mix of sweat and the glue which might react strangely. It itches when you apply it on a flat surface in summer, so I imagine it to be very uncomfortable in the chest area.

Personally, I want to try this, but only once and maybe save it for special occasions.

Do NOT bind with tape- it can damage skin very easily and is potentially very dangerous

4 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

I am wearing kinesio tape often on my arm, because I have weak joints. This tape adds stability and is good to get more muscles to work, to get some strength in there.
Yes, it's developed for being worn often, and after two weeks of constant wearing you may only need a day or two to let your skin breathe. Or at least, that's the case for me, and you should try it on your skin.

I know from some German cosplayers, that it's a once in a while option, but I don't think that there are any long term experiences yet.

Problem is: When you get this for medical reasons, they show you the way it's applied so that you don't break tissue or damage nerves. I know how to tape my hand without doing any damage. You apply it without shoving anything together, so it's entirely different to chest binding and I know that I, personally, would get nerve damage in form of unwanted tingling. My body doesn't like being squeezed.

Also, when you do it like this you have skinfolds which will lead to the mix of sweat and the glue which might react strangely. It itches when you apply it on a flat surface in summer, so I imagine it to be very uncomfortable in the chest area.

Personally, I want to try this, but only once and maybe save it for special occasions.

Is it possible to wear a bra under tape or anything to avoid itching?

4 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Do NOT bind with tape- it can damage skin very easily and is potentially very dangerous

Well, a binder can be dangerous as well, I've been comparing both things and long term use of tape sacred me less than long term binding use.

Binding can break your lungs and ribs and will eventually break tissue.

Just now, AVEN #1 fan said:

Well, a binder can be dangerous as well, I've been comparing both things and long term use of tape sacred me less than long term binding use.

Binding can break your lungs and ribs and will eventually break tissue.

Yeah, if you get the wrong size and double bind. Do you have any proof of those claims?

6 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

Yeah, if you get the wrong size and double bind. Do you have any proof of those claims?

I heard on FTM reddit many complains on chest binding.

KT tape is not duct tape and if you position it correctly you can be fine as it looks like. It's a medical tape as Luftchlossuele said above. The only concerns I heard about it yet is itching, allergies, and dermatitis from long term use and nerve damage from improper taping.

Duct tape is another thing and is extremely dangerous. There's horrible pictures of cisgender men with moobs in the Internet to comprove it.

http://seethestarsablaze.tumblr.com/post/146469510343

On other hand, I know that double binding is dangerous, I heard double unpadded compression sports bra binding is unsafe as well.

Binders complicate breathing and stomachal pain, if you have lung disease,  acid reflux, asthma or any other of these complications, binder will make your life worst. "/

You've made it pretty sure you've got an issue with binders... There's no evidence to suggest they're completely dangerous. If you follow instructions, correct size, etc. you'll most likely be fine UNLESS you have other conditions.

For the vast majority of people, it won't cause any pain except the first time you wear it (just adjusting slightly) and if you wear for long periods of time, with no breaks (and for numerous days in a row).

I've got asthma (but, only triggered by certain things like allergies normally) and binding is fine for me. I take a break at the weekends, and then wear it a few times a week (normally Tues-Fri) for no more than 9 hours and I'm fine. I know some asthmatic people who struggled with binding, but that doesn't mean binding is unsafe.

I've heard nothing good of binding with tape, whereas I've heard plenty of people who are fine with binders.

Why ask about binders vs tape if you're already prejudiced against one of those? We're not an echo chamber...

5 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

If you wore a bra it would give your chest shape and defeat the point

http://transguys.com/features/chest-binding

You could wear a training bra or an unpadded bralette. Some of these bras come with removable padding and some don't. See Bra 1 - removable paddingBra 2 - removable padding. Bra 3 - no padding.  Once you take out the padding these bras tend to be pretty flattening.

6 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Binders complicate breathing and stomachal pain, if you have lung disease,  acid reflux, asthma or any other of these complications, binder will make your life worst. "/

I really want to wear a binder but due to my chronic medical issues I don't think I can :(. I can barely even tolerate sports bras these days.

Back when I was healthy I used training bras to flatten my chest. I wanted to get a binder but it never happened.

Just now, helana12_03 said:

I really want to wear a binder but due to my chronic medical issues I don't think I can :(. I can barely even tolerate sports bras these days.

Back when I was healthy I used training bras to flatten my chest. I wanted to get a binder but it never happened.

Well, I can't wear binders cos my asthma, rinitis and GERD and the hot weather where I live, sports bra and sports tape switch me better.

I'm not against anyone wearing a binder, if you prefer it over anything, awesome, but for me I have been comparing risks and benefits, comfort and discomfort and I'm not judging anyone, I was trying and I probably found the solution for MY problem.

And pls notice that I'm not getting top surgery nor presenting as full time masculine or gender neutral.

1 minute ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Well, I can't wear binders cos my asthma, rinitis and GERD and the hot weather where I live, sports bra and sports tape switch me better.

I'm not against anyone wearing a binder, if you prefer it over anything, awesome, but for me I have been comparing risks and benefits, comfort and discomfort and I'm not judging anyone, I was trying and I probably found the solution for MY problem.

And pls notice that I'm not getting top surgery nor presenting as full time masculine or gender neutral.

I would consider doing the tape thing if it wasn't so potentially dangerous. For now I'm ok with unpadded training bras, unpadded bikini tops and occasionally sports bras. Wearing a spaghetti tank top over my bra also seems to help flatten my chest.

21 minutes ago, helana12_03 said:

I would consider doing the tape thing if it wasn't so potentially dangerous. For now I'm ok with unpadded training bras, unpadded bikini tops and occasionally sports bras. Wearing a spaghetti tank top over my bra also seems to help flatten my chest.

Tape is a safe method as long as you tape it right with the right tape. After researching for a while and the people I found complained used duct tape (which is inappropriate) or taped it like with ace bandages (which is painful). You have to beware the time limit and be careful while taping to avoid nerve damage. This method won't make your breasts saggy, cause breathing pain or rib damage or make stomachal-circulation-breathing issues worst, and lymph node flow works better, as I heard, but not sure yet about this last fact. Isn't bad for hot weather places. Be careful though some people are allergic to tape/latex and skin rashes are an issue. Dermatitis are also an issue, but people who use bras or binders face it too.

You can try layering as well or camisoles or loose shirts (button up shirts are the best, tee shirts are BAD ). They won't make your breasts saggy, won't screw your lungs and ribs also. It's not good for hot weather places.

Or use double compression sports bras unpadded from different sizes. The only issue is that it works just like a binder and can damage your ribs and lungs if done unproperly, also it tends to make life harder for people with breathing-circulation-stomachal issues. Breast sagging will probably happen. And it's not so good for hot weather. Don't wear them for too long. And also, some shirts aren't suitable for this kind of binding. beware for dermatitis.

If None of this works, you can try a loose binder I guess? A lot of masculine looking people have moobs. I don't think sagging is something too bad to worry about unless you want top surgery. And I don't think other health issues get worst. Rib and lung pain may be reduced. Also, don't forget the time limit, and beware for dermatitis.

Never double bind.

Just don't use ace bandages or duct tape, they're EVIL.

if you can pass your boobs for pecs or moobs, you're absolutely fine.

18 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Tape is a safe method as long as you tape it right with the right tape. After researching for a while and the people I found complained used duct tape (which is inappropriate) or taped it like with ace bandages (which is painful). You have to beware the time limit and be careful while taping to avoid nerve damage. This method won't make your breasts saggy, cause breathing pain or rib damage or make stomachal-circulation-breathing issues worst, and lymph node flow works better, as I heard, but not sure yet about this last fact. Isn't bad for hot weather places. Be careful though some people are allergic to tape/latex and skin rashes are an issue. Dermatitis are also an issue, but people who use bras or binders face it too.

You can try layering as well or camisoles or loose shirts (button up shirts are the best, tee shirts are BAD ). They won't make your breasts saggy, won't screw your lungs and ribs also. It's not good for hot weather places.

Or use double compression sports bras unpadded from different sizes. The only issue is that it works just like a binder and can damage your ribs and lungs if done unproperly, also it tends to make life harder for people with breathing-circulation-stomachal issues. Breast sagging will probably happen. And it's not so good for hot weather. Don't wear them for too long. And also, some shirts aren't suitable for this kind of binding. beware for dermatitis.

If None of this works, you can try a loose binder I guess? A lot of masculine looking people have moobs. I don't think sagging is something too bad to worry about unless you want top surgery. And I don't think other health issues get worst. Rib and lung pain may be reduced. Also, don't forget the time limit, and beware for dermatitis.

Never double bind.

Just don't use ace bandages or duct tape, they're EVIL.

if you can pass your boobs for pecs or moobs, you're absolutely fine.

Thank you so much for the above suggestions. Unfortunately I can't use double compression sports bras or anything too tight because of my stomach issues. 

I would love to use tape but it seems to require a lot of time, money and attention. If I were to try this I'm pretty sure would forget to take it off on time. Also I probably wouldn't pay enough attention to avoid nerve damage because I often want to get these things done and over with quickly and don't have the patience and discipline to get them done carefully. 

I don't think a loose binder would work for me because it's still too tight around the stomach area. I can hardly tolerate loose sports bras at this point.

Also, personally I'm not trying have a manly chest. I'm hoping to find a way look as flat chested as a child (before puberty) so I don't really want to have pecs or moobs either... For now my unpadded training bras, loose sports bras and spaghetti tank tops seem to work relatively ok. They don't fully flatten my chest but they make my boobs pretty small (near tween or early-teen size). Hopefully one day my health will get better to the point where I can tolerate better, more flattening options.

13 minutes ago, helana12_03 said:

Thank you so much for the above suggestions. Unfortunately I can't use double compression sports bras or anything too tight because of my stomach issues. 

I would love to use tape but it seems to require a lot of time, money and attention. If I were to try this I'm pretty sure would forget to take it off on time. Also I probably wouldn't pay enough attention to avoid nerve damage because I often want to get these things done and over with quickly and don't have the patience and discipline to get them done carefully. 

I don't think a loose binder would work for me because it's still too tight around the stomach area. I can hardly tolerate loose sports bras at this point.

Also, personally I'm not trying have a manly chest. I'm hoping to find a way look as flat chested as a child (before puberty) so I don't really want to have pecs or moobs either... For now my unpadded training bras, loose sports bras and spaghetti tank tops seem to work relatively ok. They don't fully flatten my chest but they make my boobs pretty small (near tween or early-teen size). Hopefully one day my health will get better to the point where I can tolerate better, more flattening options.

You can have liposuction or a breast reduction (usually breast tissue is left behind, but it can end up flat) or a mastectomy  (total removal of breasts, binding with a binder or double sports bra may make the process difficult as long with breast sagging).

Boobs are 90%fat + 10%mammary glands, exercising can get you rid of them, specially doing abdominals, a lot of body builder ciswomen end up without Boobs cause of that, just like some trans men.

The difference BTW Boobs and moobs is that Boobs have mammary glands highly developed, otherwise Boobs are unisex, chubby people of any biological sex can develop Boobs, bc Boobs are mostly fat storage. Boobs can pass as pecs pretty easily too.

The best tape is sports KT tape, it's used for medical purposes and is water proof (beware some people are allergic to latex), you can find it on pharmacies or sports shops. It's slightly cheap depending on where you live. There's tutorials of Drag kings and trans folks  on YouTube on how to tape safely (there's one in my OP). You can put tissue under the tape to protect your nipples too.

Good lucky!

2 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

You can have liposuction or a breast reduction (usually breast tissue is left behind, but it can end up flat) or a mastectomy  (total removal of breasts, binding with a binder or double sports bra may make the process difficult as long with breast sagging).

Boobs are 90%fat + 10%mammary glands, exercising can get you rid of them, specially doing abdominals, a lot of body builder ciswomen end up without Boobs cause of that, just like some trans men.

The difference BTW Boobs and moobs is that Boobs have mammary glands highly developed, otherwise Boobs are unisex, chubby people of any biological sex can develop Boobs, bc Boobs are mostly fat storage.

The best tape is sports KT tape, it's used for medical purposes and is water proof (beware some people are allergic to latex), you can find it on pharmacies or sports shops. It's slightly cheap depending on where you live. There's tutorials of Drag kings and trans folks  on YouTube on how to tape safely. You can put tissue under the tape to protect your nipples too.

Good lucky!

Can u have breast reduction surgery as a cis female who identifies as female? I thought u had to have serious gender identity issues for that. Also, I don't really want to do anything irreversible in case I do want to have boobs one day. 

I've been working on reducing the fat around my boobs for a while now. My abs are pretty toned so I'm guessing it worked at least to some degree, but your definitely giving me motivation to continue working on this. Maybe one day I'll get the 6 pack abs I've always wanted ;) .

I use KT tape all the time for my sports injuries and can barely afford it as is. It costs around $8 per roll (I've tried cheaper ones but they're not really waterproof). I'm assuming I'd have to use about a roll a week. That's pretty expensive. Maybe I'll try using it to tape my boobs at some point, we'll see. 

Just now, helana12_03 said:

Can u have breast reduction surgery as a cis female who identifies as female? I thought u had to have serious gender identity issues for that. Also, I don't really want to do anything irreversible in case I do want to have boobs one day. 

I've been working on reducing the fat around my boobs for a while now. My abs are pretty toned so I'm guessing it worked at least to some degree, but your definitely giving me motivation to continue working on this. Maybe one day I'll get the 6 pack abs I've always wanted ;) .

I use KT tape all the time for my sports injuries and can barely afford it as is. It costs around $8 per roll (I've tried cheaper ones but they're not really waterproof). I'm assuming I'd have to use about a roll a week. That's pretty expensive. Maybe I'll try using it to tape my boobs at some point, we'll see. 

Off course you can have a breast reduction or liposuction, but many doctors are gatekeepers, if they find it weird, you'll have to justify it by saying you have back pain or self esteem issues or any other reasonable excuses. Breast reduction is most of the time reversible (if you gain weight, they grow again in all cases) if only fat is removed from the breast (like throughout a liposuction). You can also get some mammary tissue removed and it doesn't grow back naturally. Depending on the procedure, nipple sensation may be lost and huge scars can be left behind, it also depends on how saggy your boobs are and how old you are. So, I guess it's better to discuss it with a doctor. Also, doctors rarely will allow ciswomen to go from an D cup to an A cup (cissexist losers). Plastic surgeries are very expensive though, and costs are variable upon bunches of factors. And seriously, think about it a lot before having procedures done on u.

I WOULDNT recommend you a mastectomy if you like having boobs.

This Trans guy lost his boobage throughout working out and they look like male pecs: CJKobL3UkAAeCne.jpg

Some transmasculine folks believe boobs shrink a bit on T and change texture but they don't disappear anyway. (Don't use T without the help of medical professionals, it can be deadly)

Here any some buff ciswomen who have boobs that looks like pecs  (the one above used steroids, don't use it, they're dangerous, like a lot):

liciA+TRA+2.jpg

And about tape,  people recommend to have a time limit just like for when one use a binder (among 6-12 hours of use or 8-12 hours, just don't pass 8 hours and you can feel relived). Some Trans folks claim that the tape can be used for 4-5 days straight with no problems. They say you can sleep on it too.

I forgot to mention, even though you had a breast reduction, you can pretty much get silicone implants or fat transplant if you want them back.

Fat transplanting may take more than a single procedure, usually people get it done multiple times, and it's cheap when compared to silicone implants. Plus, the look is more natural. The fat may come from areas were the patient have more deposit, and in skinny people, they may use fat from other people.

For silicone implants, the result is obtainable in only one procedure and you can choose your cup size , however you'll have to change implants once In every 10 years, and anyway they can get ruptured any time and cause infections that can kill you. Sometimes they look natural. And getting them done may cost a lot.

I don't think you can get a breast augmentation after a mastectomy or a full breast reduction.

I'm glad I could help you though. :)

Random Happenstance

idk about tape, but thought i'd chip in with a binding alternative i use.

it depends on what you want to bind for, but i've found a method that can make it more tolerable not to bind in some circumstances (my chest is a d (uk) if that helps). i generally wear a compression shirt (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AFAI3BI, grabbed it in a sale on an off chance before) under my clothes. i find it sort of... holds everything in place, and doesn't rub, so it prevents that aspect of dysphoria (where you just sort of feel your chest is there with a random motion). it doesn't actually flatten though. i then wear whatever top, and a light but firm sleeveless jacket (usually my denim) over that, which has the effect of hiding the appearance of my chest.

usually i use that method for just lounging about at home, when i don't have to do anything in particular and am not going out. a bonus is it's perfectly safe and comfy at night, cause there's no real flattening/compression. i use one of my binders whenever i go out really cause of the combined effect of being more aware of yourself around others, and movement making things weirder. i also wear the compression shirt under my loosest binder (underworks) when i wear that, which makes it comfier.

it's handy to have this alternative, cause i get acid reflux sometimes, and binding can give me some general aching. plus i worry a little cause i have hypermobility which causes sternum/chest pain - idk if linked to binding, but still.

3 minutes ago, Random Happenstance said:

idk about tape, but thought i'd chip in with a binding alternative i use.

it depends on what you want to bind for, but i've found a method that can make it more tolerable not to bind in some circumstances (my chest is a d (uk) if that helps). i generally wear a compression shirt (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AFAI3BI, grabbed it in a sale on an off chance before) under my clothes. i find it sort of... holds everything in place, and doesn't rub, so it prevents that aspect of dysphoria (where you just sort of feel your chest is there with a random motion). it doesn't actually flatten though. i then wear whatever top, and a light but firm sleeveless jacket (usually my denim) over that, which has the effect of hiding the appearance of my chest.

usually i use that method for just lounging about at home, when i don't have to do anything in particular and am not going out. a bonus is it's perfectly safe and comfy at night, cause there's no real flattening/compression. i use one of my binders whenever i go out really cause of the combined effect of being more aware of yourself around others, and movement making things weirder. i also wear the compression shirt under my loosest binder (underworks) when i wear that, which makes it comfier.

it's handy to have this alternative, cause i get acid reflux sometimes, and binding can give me some general aching. plus i worry a little cause i have hypermobility which causes sternum/chest pain - idk if linked to binding, but still.

Acid reflux can be a pain In the ass. Dx

Oh, gosh, I totally forget about compression shirts, anyway the same that goes for a binder and double sports bras goes for them.

Random Happenstance

Acid reflux can be a pain In the ass. Dx

yup, ain't that the truth. though mine is a bit better since i have my bed on a head-up tilt for a different condition. if it appears it's always with a binder on/right after.

9 minutes ago, Random Happenstance said:

yup, ain't that the truth. though mine is a bit better since i have my bed on a head-up tilt for a different condition. if it appears it's always with a binder on/right after.

I do modify my bed as well, it's bearable at night. Thx for reminding me of compression shirts. I heard a few Transmasculine saying these compression vests were meant for cisguys with gynecomastia and are not appropriate for transmasculine folks and crossdressers bc rib damage and shortness of breath and back pain. Anyway, is that true?

Random Happenstance

I do modify my bed as well, it's bearable at night. Thx for reminding me of compression shirts. I heard a lot of Transmasculine saying these compression vests were meant for cisguys with gynecomastia and are not appropriate for transmasculine folks and crossdressers bc rib damage and shortness of breath and back pain. Anyway, is that true?

it'd depend on the kind of compression shirt. the ones i use aren't designed for specific chest flattening or anything (no compression panels or thick/non-stretchy materials), but just to be tight fitting all round for sports, help circulation etc. also called base-layers. so they don't flatten anything down, but just hold things in place (if you get the men's ones at least, i imagine the ones shaped for women wouldn't have that effect on your chest). so how they help is more about the sensations that come with a chest. no effects on breathing/ribs/back at all. i've warn them almost non-stop for a year or so. i think they also make it easier for subsequent layers to hide things too.

2 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

This Trans guy lost his boobage throughout working out and they look like male pecs: CJKobL3UkAAeCne.jpg

Seriously? Wow, that's absolutely amazing. I would've never guessed. Do u know how he did that? Like what exercises and how many reps? The guy/trans in the video also seems to have a pretty flat chest (before taping). (btw, I'm an AA or AAA cup but these trans guys are flatter than me).

And about tape,  people recommend to have a time limit just like for when one use a binder (among 6-12 hours of use or 8-12 hours, just don't pass 8 hours and you can feel relived). Some Trans folks claim that the tape can be used for 4-5 days straight with no problems. They say you can sleep on it too.

Not passing 8 hours is going to be a huge challenge for me and I don't want to risk it because I have lots of medical issues as is.

I forgot to mention, even though you had a breast reduction, you can pretty much get silicone implants or fat transplant if you want them back.

Fat transplanting may take more than a single procedure, usually people get it done multiple times, and it's cheap when compared to silicone implants. Plus, the look is more natural. The fat may come from areas were the patient have more deposit, and in skinny people, they may use fat from other people.

For silicone implants, the result is obtainable in only one procedure and you can choose your cup size , however you'll have to change implants once In every 10 years, and anyway they can get ruptured any time and cause infections that can kill you. Sometimes they look natural. And getting them done may cost a lot.

I don't think you can get a breast augmentation after a mastectomy or a full breast reduction.

I'm glad I could help you though. :)

Thank you so much for all the information. Obviously u know a lot about this stuff. I'd rather keep things natural so as far as surgery goes libosuction is the only thing that I may actually consider at some point. But I'd much rather get rid of the boob fat through exercise because I don't like surgeries. 

Archived