Madrid - Transport webpages

Baikal Balkash

Baikal Balkash

Here is a list of webpages and maps of Madrid transport network.

I post it to help people who are travelling and don't want to lose time wandering in pages in Spanish or translated by google services (as it does main webpage of Madrid transport).

Underground

• Madrid underground has up to 12 lines.
  • Here is an squematic PDF map.
  • Here is an interactive map with zoom and different background layers.
  • Main page of Madrid underground. 

Urban buses

Short distance train / Local train / "Cercanías"

Integration train and underground

• Some stations share conections with train and underground.
  • Here is a PDF map with both networks together.

Airport

• Airport is connected to the town by local train
  • Here is the description, in English, of the service.

Any other reference for transport maps/webpage needed post in this thread and will edit to complete.

• 4 months later...

It's old news, but I think it should be in the forum for your information. The WorldPride weekend, there will be an extraordinary opening of MetroMadrid the night between Saturday (the march day) and Sunday (the conference day). The central area of the underground network will be open all the night, but I don't know how this central area will be defined, so one should get informed if their room is outside.

Another relevant piece of information I was unable to get is if, during the march, there will be any Metro station closed around the way. I'm thinking of Atocha, Banco de España, and Colón. In that case one should rethink their itinerary for attending the march, for example, leaving at Atocha Renfe (at the railway station) instead of at Atocha (at the roundabout where the march starts).

I hope that, as the dates approach, we will have better information.

Reviewing the different wordings of the notice, I find El Condifencial the clearest, which I translate below.

According to sources of Madrid department of Transports, all the underground lines that, at any point of their way, pass through the central almond will be open, i.e., all of them except MetroSur [line 12], the three lines of MetroLigero, TFM (the continuation of line 9 between Puerta de Arganda and Arganda del Rey), and the lines 7B (MetroEste, between Estadio Olímpico and Hospital del Henares) and 10B (MetroNorte, between Tres Olivos and Hospital Infanta Sofía).

The central almond, or Madrid kernel, is the almond-shaped town inside the road M30, but this opening of the underground network affects to all the lines not listed as exceptions, both for stations inside and outside the kernel. I find contradictions, as the line 11 is outside the kernel but not listed as an exception. I find another contradiction in the date of the opening, since 24h of July 1st means, strictly speaking, the night between Friday and Saturday.

I still consider this information to confirm, but it gives at least a good idea of the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news. Metro strike on our dates.

According to EL PAIS, there is a call for strike in Madrid underground from June 28 to July 2. I assume there will be minimum services, but they might be not often enough, and maybe crowded. So, one should consider Cercanías and buses as alternatives. I'll try to post further news.

Skycaptain

Thanks for the heads up 

It seems that there was another strike last April, coinciding with Easter, with about a 60% of minimum services, when only the 28% of the trains were finally canceled. This means that the effect on the delay was not as strong as I expected. So, depending on the final amount of minimum services agreed, it could be still better to take the Metro than the Cercanías. I have no idea when the authorities will announce the minimum services, but I'll try to keep the thread updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Metro will be closed anyway during the parade. If you are within walking distance... walk. That's the best option for sure.
And Cercanias is a handy option. The start of the Parade is very close to it (we will in fact meet at the Atocha station, check this thread: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/157279-world-pride-parade-planning/) and Circulo de Bellas Artes for the conference is also reasonably close.

I know it's usual to close Metro stations during large events, but only the stations close to the gathering, keeping the rest of the network open and providing a list of alternative stations nearby. I don't know which stations will be closed and which are the alternatives, for instance, it's reasonable that Atocha Metro station (at the square where the march begins) will be closed, but Atocha-Renfe (at the main railway station) should be open, same as the rest of Line 1. Same with Banco de España at Cibeles square, but not Sevilla or Retiro or the rest of Line 2, and Colón at the end of the march, but not Serrano or Alonso Martínez or the rest of Line 4. The three listed stations on the march (Atocha, Banco de España and Colón) are not hubs, so this could be simply accomplished by skipping the stop during the closing time. If it's true that the rest of stations nearby will remain open, they could be good alternatives for the closed ones.

Anyway, they're just my guess. I would like to have reliable information for the stations which will close and for the minimum services during the strike. The time is approaching and I can't find anything from the official sources.

Yeah, when I searched I didn't find much. But confirmed that Renfe has too reinforced the train services during the worldpride.

Update on the Metro strike: Minimum services of 68%.

This morning the CRTM has published in its website a warning on the metro strike. The strike begins on June 28th at 13:00 and ends on July 2nd at the end of the service. The minimum services announced are a 68%, which means that they will suppress at most 1/3 of the trains or, in terms of frequency, an average of 50% longer waiting times.

It seems that the CRTM announces the incidences day by day. For instance, this evening the Critical Pride will march through Sol and the CRTM has announced that Metro lines 1, 2 and 3 won't stop at Sol from 19:00 to 23:30 and that Cercanías lines C3 and C4 won't stop at Sol since 18:45. The case of Sol station is worse than what might happen on July 1st, since it's a hub and you can't even do a transfer at Sol. So, we should pay attention to the CRTM for updated information for July 1st.

It seems, according to the CRTM warnings, that Sol-Cercanías station will close at 18:45 all the days of the WorldPride, which could be interesting for people depending on Cercanías in the evening.

Another topic I would want to touch is Metro and Cercanías tickets. There are single tickets and 10-trip tickets, both for Metro and for Cercanías, but each ticket is valid only in one kind of network, Metro or Cercanías. There is also a touristic ticket valid for both networks within the days you have paid, including the airport line without paying the supplement. You should estimate how many trips you'll take, and on which network, and then decide what ticket is your best option. My advice is that, if you'll buy a 10-trip ticket, buy it at the station of your first trip, in order to take advantage of it since the beginning. I hope I've explained clearly.

Archived