wat is "gender neutral"?

jason geiger

jason geiger

i am not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, but wat is "gender neutral" and wat pronouns and identities does "gender neutral" identify as?

Just wanted to say hello. Im not really sure what gender neutral is but there a many people here who can explain to you.

Gender neutral can mean someone who is both male and female, neither male nor female (nonbinary), a mix of different genders or traits associated with different genders, or no gender at all. It can also mean something I haven't listed, it just depends on the person.

To put names to the ideas: someone who is gender neutral might be neutrois, maverique, agender, bigender, pangender, or something else. Gender neutral people might use they/them, it/its, ze/hir, or any variety of pronouns.

I hate to keep ending with "or something else", but there is a wide range of words and feelings when it comes to gender. There are people who use gender neutral to mean they don't care about gender or sex, there are people who use it to describe their personality or style of dress, there are people who mean they don't connect with men or women or are even disgusted with gendered traits, and there are hundreds of other things that they mean. I'm sure some gender neutral people will come share their feelings with you soon!

jason geiger

thanks to those who did there best to answer this only one question: does bigender mean being attracted to male and female or does pangender mean being attracted to all genders/sexes and not just male and female

On 31.12.2016 at 5:40 PM, Finn. said:

Bigender is when you are two genders at the same time, say male and female. Pangender is when you are "all the genders available to you", which means excluding genders exclusive to some specific groups of people.

gender =/= orientation or attraction

bisexual means being attracted to the same gender and other genders / being attracted to two or more genders (which can mean men+women)

pansexual would mean being attracted to all genders / regardless of gender (which includes men+women)

jason geiger

thanks and can gender neutral be transgender or any gender or sex in the lgbt+ community

Guest And Peggy
21 minutes ago, jason geiger said:

thanks and can gender neutral be transgender or any gender or sex in the lgbt+ community

I don't think gender neutral is transgender.

jason geiger

is it only pangender, bigender, or anything that ends with "gender"? and can i use pronouns like "her/she"?

27 minutes ago, jason geiger said:

Why not?

jason geiger

is transgender considered gender neutral or can somebody explain the list of genders/sexes 

A trans person could be gender neutral (such as someone who is agender, bigender, pangender, neutrois, maverique, etc. like kaysir said earlier), or they could not be. Many transgender people are MTF or FTM and many prefer to present themselves as male or female. So while transgender people could be/present as gender neutral, the two terms are not synonymous.

Well, there's there's a gender definitions list, but I typed up a bunch of stuff before I remembered it, haha. In some pretty general ways, I tried to define some of the words you might see used. Not all names for genders end with "gender." Not all of the names have official definitions. These are only some of the genders and definitions you could come across. The pronouns depend on the person.

Cisgender: When you are born, the doctor says "It's a boy/girl!", you don't disagree, and you live comfortably as a boy/girl.

Transgender: When you are born the doctor says "It's a boy/girl", you disagree, and you might make behavioral, social, governmental, and/or medical changes for others to understand that you are not what the doctor said. Trans men and trans masculine people are DFAB/AFAB (designated/assigned female at birth) which means the doctor said "It's a girl" but the person is actually not a girl. Trans women and trans feminine people are DMAB/AMAB and not men but women or something like women.

Cis-genderless: You are indifferent about what the doctor said or you agree with the doctor just because you don't feel strongly about your gender.

Agender: You aren't a boy or a girl or anything else for that matter. You have no gender.

Neutrois: You aren't a boy or a girl. You may be genderless, indifferent, or deeply affected by desires to appear neutral or androgynous.

Maverique: You are something distinct other than male, female, agender, gender neutral, or any known gender of the world. Relations to masculinity and femininity do not define your gender. There are boys, girls, maveriques, etc.

Pangender: You are every gender applicable to you. There are exemptions. For example, if you are DMAB, you cannot be a trans male. If you are not intersex, you cannot be intergender. If you are not Native American, you cannot be a Two-Spirit.

Bigender: You are two genders. I believe most people mean two genders at the same time, but some people mean that they go back and forth between two genders.

Genderfluid: Your gender changes from one to at least one other gender. Sometimes you are a boy/girl/maverique/agender person/etc, and sometimes you are something else.

And I'll stop there. You can always google more!

butterflydreams
15 hours ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

I don't think gender neutral is transgender.

It depends on how you're defining "transgender".

The broadest definition being that if you identify as something other than what you were born. So unless you were born and the doctor called you gender neutral, you'd be considered trans under that definition.

I tend to always consider non-binary stuff (including agender, gender-neutral, etc) to be trans by definition.

Guest And Peggy
1 minute ago, Hadley167 said:

The broadest definition being that if you identify as something other than what you were born. So unless you were born and the doctor called you gender neutral, you'd be considered trans under that definition.

I tend to always consider non-binary stuff (including agender, gender-neutral, etc) to be trans by definition.

Yeah, if you're going by that definition, you're right. But my definition is that trans is biological females who identify as males and vice versa, and agender, gender neutral etc. people are just called agender or gender neutral or whatever they identify as. That's just my definition though.

jason geiger
16 minutes ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

Yeah, if you're going by that definition, you're right. But my definition is that trans is biological females who identify as males and vice versa, and agender, gender neutral etc. people are just called agender or gender neutral or whatever they identify as. That's just my definition though.

thanks for the information i ment to reply to somebody else but instead i replied to u oh well

jason geiger
35 minutes ago, Hadley167 said:

thanks for helping me one thing does gender neutral mean being both male and female or it means suitable for both male and female and is gender neutral like bigender which means being both genders at the same time and to everybody on my forum  i am sorry for not using question marks periods and other things

butterflydreams

I mean, there are bound to be a few definitions of gender neutral, but generally, I think it means neither male or female. Being more than one gender would be like bigender or genderfluid or something along those lines. Someone above linked Heart's definition thread. That's definitely a great place to start understanding some of the terms.

I'd say that "gender neutral" in terms of items (not as part of a gender identity) means not specific to just male or just female. You could have, for example, a shirt that is gender neutral, meaning that it is not intended to be worn just by males or just by females. I think that's what you were asking?

jason geiger
1 hour ago, Andiamo said:

I'd say that "gender neutral" in terms of items (not as part of a gender identity) means not specific to just male or just female. You could have, for example, a shirt that is gender neutral, meaning that it is not intended to be worn just by males or just by females. I think that's what you were asking?

no but thanks for doing ur best to help

jason geiger
14 hours ago, kaysir said:

Well, there's there's a gender definitions list, but I typed up a bunch of stuff before I remembered it, haha. In some pretty general ways, I tried to define some of the words you might see used. Not all names for genders end with "gender." Not all of the names have official definitions. These are only some of the genders and definitions you could come across. The pronouns depend on the person.

Cisgender: When you are born, the doctor says "It's a boy/girl!", you don't disagree, and you live comfortably as a boy/girl.

Transgender: When you are born the doctor says "It's a boy/girl", you disagree, and you might make behavioral, social, governmental, and/or medical changes for others to understand that you are not what the doctor said. Trans men and trans masculine people are DFAB/AFAB (designated/assigned female at birth) which means the doctor said "It's a girl" but the person is actually not a girl. Trans women and trans feminine people are DMAB/AMAB and not men but women or something like women.

Cis-genderless: You are indifferent about what the doctor said or you agree with the doctor just because you don't feel strongly about your gender.

Agender: You aren't a boy or a girl or anything else for that matter. You have no gender.

Neutrois: You aren't a boy or a girl. You may be genderless, indifferent, or deeply affected by desires to appear neutral or androgynous.

Maverique: You are something distinct other than male, female, agender, gender neutral, or any known gender of the world. Relations to masculinity and femininity do not define your gender. There are boys, girls, maveriques, etc.

Pangender: You are every gender applicable to you. There are exemptions. For example, if you are DMAB, you cannot be a trans male. If you are not intersex, you cannot be intergender. If you are not Native American, you cannot be a Two-Spirit.

Bigender: You are two genders. I believe most people mean two genders at the same time, but some people mean that they go back and forth between two genders.

Genderfluid: Your gender changes from one to at least one other gender. Sometimes you are a boy/girl/maverique/agender person/etc, and sometimes you are something else.

And I'll stop there. You can always google more!

thanks for giving me ur best answer out of other peoples answers i will be more then happy to google more but i am happy with being transgender or pangender or watever i identify or go as withen the gender neutral or lgbt community

jason geiger
On 12/31/2016 at 8:47 PM, Spiritus55 said:

Just wanted to say hello. Im not really sure what gender neutral is but there a many people here who can explain to you.

well hello to u and happy 2017

Random Happenstance

in my experience gender neutral would tend to refer to things/presentation. like, someone could dress in a gender neutral way/look gender neutral, or an item of clothing/toy/pronouns etc. could be gender neutral for example. in terms of an actual gender, i tend to see agender/androgyne/neutrois/pangender/genderfluid/bigender as specific genders, and non-binary can be used as a sort of umbrella term, or specific gender (as with me). however, there'd be nothing stopping someone's gender being gender neutral ofc (and that, i think, would fall under the non-binary umbrella), i'd just expect it more to be an adjective rather than noun from my experience (eg. "my non-binary gender is gender neutral") and haven't encountered it as a gender yet.

in terms of whether non-binary people are trans, that's really dependant on the individual (whether they consider themself trans). i'm transgender, and think it makes sense to do so if your gender isn't your agab (assigned gender at birth). people who say non-binary people aren't trans at all seem to do so because of an expectation that a) physical dysphoria and transition are necessary to be trans, and b) non-binary people don't have physical dysphoria or transition. both of which would be wrong.

jason geiger
8 hours ago, Random Happenstance said:

in my experience gender neutral would tend to refer to things/presentation. like, someone could dress in a gender neutral way/look gender neutral, or an item of clothing/toy/pronouns etc. could be gender neutral for example. in terms of an actual gender, i tend to see agender/androgyne/neutrois/pangender/genderfluid/bigender as specific genders, and non-binary can be used as a sort of umbrella term, or specific gender (as with me). however, there'd be nothing stopping someone's gender being gender neutral ofc (and that, i think, would fall under the non-binary umbrella), i'd just expect it more to be an adjective rather than noun from my experience (eg. "my non-binary gender is gender neutral") and haven't encountered it as a gender yet.

in terms of whether non-binary people are trans, that's really dependant on the individual (whether they consider themself trans). i'm transgender, and think it makes sense to do so if your gender isn't your agab (assigned gender at birth). people who say non-binary people aren't trans at all seem to do so because of an expectation that a) physical dysphoria and transition are necessary to be trans, and b) non-binary people don't have physical dysphoria or transition. both of which would be wrong.

one question can non binery be gender neutral for example transgender and is asexual non binery or gender neutral or both or can gender neutral be asexual or just agender and can transgender be asexual and does all of em i said fall under the gender neutral umbralla and to the creators admins and mods i am a guy who asks queations please excuse me and keep me here or not delete my comments unless u feel i am harming or offending the asexual/lgbt community as i am part of the lgbt/asexual community thank u

Gender neutral or neutrois people are under the non binary umbrella and under the Transgender umbrella, they can have any sexual and any romantic orientation. And usually use neutral pronouns/language.

2 hours ago, jason geiger said:

one question can non binery be gender neutral for example transgender and is asexual non binery or gender neutral or both or can gender neutral be asexual or just agender and can transgender be asexual and does all of em i said fall under the gender neutral umbralla and to the creators admins and mods i am a guy who asks queations please excuse me and keep me here or not delete my comments unless u feel i am harming or offending the asexual/lgbt community as i am part of the lgbt/asexual community thank u

You don't have to worry about mods or admins deleting your comments in this thread. It sounds like you're genuinely questioning, and that's encouraged here :)

jason geiger
On 1/3/2017 at 4:12 PM, Heart said:

You don't have to worry about mods or admins deleting your comments in this thread. It sounds like you're genuinely questioning, and that's encouraged here :)

thanks for letting me know

jason geiger
On 1/3/2017 at 3:28 PM, AVEN #1 fan said:

Gender neutral or neutrois people are under the non binary umbrella and under the Transgender umbrella, they can have any sexual and any romantic orientation. And usually use neutral pronouns/language.

can u give me some examples or lists of sexual and romantic orientations of gender neutral and some examples of pronouns like they/their/them/it if i said it right

7 minutes ago, jason geiger said:

can u give me some examples or lists of sexual and romantic orientations of gender neutral and some examples of pronouns like they/their/them/it if i said it right

Gender neutral people can be any sexuality or orientation, but say they're attracted to...

men only (trans&cis): androsexual 

women only (trans&cis): gynesexual 

2 or more genders: bisexual

regardless of gender:

pansexual

And so on... Basically no

different than a binary person with the exception of replacing "heterosexual" and "homosexual" with "androsexual" and "gynesexual", since the concept of attraction to same/opposite gender doesn't really make sense for a gender neutral person.

Pronouns: you're right, a lot of nonbinary and gender neutral people use they/them, some use ze/xe, some even do use it (but don't use it unless SPECIFICALLY told to by that person)

On 1/3/2017 at 4:08 PM, jason geiger said:

Anything ending in 'gender' is a gender, anything ending in 'sexual' is a sexual orientation. (And anything ending in 'romantic' is a romantic orientation.) Asexual is a sexual orientation (or some might say the lack of one) - it refers to people who don't feel sexual attraction. It says nothing about your gender. For example, I'm cisgender female (when I was born, the doctor said it's a girl, and I agree with that assessment) and I'm asexual (I don't find anyone sexy). You can be any gender and be asexual.

Well, I fluctuate in intensity with certain gender-y feelings, but most days I feel gender neutral, which means I'm apathetic or indifferent to my gender, my genitalia, and whatever gender others perceive me as. I just don't feel like my gender and assigned sex are important at all those days.

Archived