Parents' sexuality

Ettina

Are your biological family on the ace umbrella?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is your biological mother...

• Out as ace/grey/demi, or doesn't use those terms but has clearly described feelings consistent with one of those labels
    • Possibly ace/grey/demi but doesn't talk about it
    • Probably not on the ace umbrella but doesn't discuss it
    • Clearly not on the ace umbrella based on what she's told you
    • I have no idea
  2. 2. Is your biological father...

• Out as ace/grey/demi, or doesn't use those terms but has clearly described feelings consistent with one of those labels
    • Possibly ace/grey/demi but doesn't talk about it
    • Probably not on the ace umbrella but doesn't discuss it
    • Clearly not on the ace umbrella based on what he's told you
    • I have no idea
  3. 3. Do you have any siblings on the ace umbrella?

• I have at least one sibling who is definitely ace/grey/demi
    • I have at least one sibling who I suspect is ace/grey/demi but who isn't out
    • I have a sibling who is probably not on the ace umbrella but doesn't discuss those feelings with me
    • I have a sibling who is definitely not on the ace umbrella
    • I don't have any siblings/I don't know any of my siblings

This poll is closed to new votes

Wondering if being on the ace spectrum is hereditary. 

hereditary, not really, my mother is pansexual however

really depends on where you're coming from

I have zero reason to believe that anyone in my immediate family is asexual. The don't heavily display sexuality, but that's more due to personality than orientation afaict.

Both my parents say they are heterosexual but neither of them are educated about the LGBT+ community extensively.

I have a strong guess that my mother is demi-hetero-romantic and demi-hetro-sexual. She has not dated since my father, and that was over 20 years ago. Just never been attracted to anyone since.

I also have a strong guess that my sister is the same, or aromantic/asexual because she has never dated anyone or shown interest in anyone and she is 18yrs. She is still young though, so that might change.

I have not spoken to any of them about their "label" so this is all by my assumption based on my observances. 

1 minute ago, AspieAngel said:

I suspect my mother was. I also suspect my 20 year old son is as well.

was? 💖

Just now, AspieAngel said:

I say was because she passed in 2008.

no I mean, what?

1 minute ago, AspieAngel said:

Sorry misunderstood. She was asexual and my son is too.

if I knew what that was like

4 minutes ago, Assemble said:

if I knew what that was like

What was like? On a different note I love the cat in your picture.

Just now, AspieAngel said:

What was like? On a different note I love the cat in your picture.

I meant If my mother wasn't pansexual, and thanks I guess

I'm still learning the different sub genres of asexuality. So much to learn it's a tad confuzzling. I didn't now about all the other labels until I joined this sight. My mom had sex out of expectations never because she wanted it. It was her wifely duty in her mind and here I am. My son resulted the same way :)

4 minutes ago, AspieAngel said:

I'm still learning the different sub genres of asexuality. So much to learn it's a tad confuzzling. I didn't now about all the other labels until I joined this sight. My mom had sex out of expectations never because she wanted it. It was her wifely duty in her mind and here I am. My son resulted the same way :)

now I wish I was you (not really) 💕

5 hours ago, Snow Cone said:

I have zero reason to believe that anyone in my immediate family is asexual. The don't heavily display sexuality, but that's more due to personality than orientation afaict.

Same here. I tend to think there's a lot of projecting happening when questions like this come up.

There are quite a few asexuals in my family to be fair. I'm not alone which is nice, but we can't really discuss it because we've all been told we are invalid and don't exist. That's always nice. Thank you, family, for telling us we don't exist.^_^

Anthracite_Impreza

My mam definitely isn't, I suspect my dad may be ace, grey or demi. Don't have any siblings.

Well, my mom's father was a strict man and probably not the best dad. At least 2/3 of my mom's brothers never got married or had kids, but then again the two who never got married were both alcoholics (the other one died in a fire caused by a cigarette and the other in a drunken bar fight...:D) The third one got divorced and I think he had two kids. My mom was married twice and loved having babies.

I don't think any of them were ace though, just riddled with problems.

My sister might be ace, we've talked pretty openly about relationships and me being ace, but something about the way she talks about her crushes makes me think she doesn't quite understand the term asexual.

WhenSummersGone

I haven't really talked about this site or this community with my family so I have no idea. My guess is they could be in the gray area or even ace.

All those generations in my family are hetero normative,  but my grandfather could have been grey ace,  only one relationship in his life,  and he was 40 when that started 

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I'm the only ace in my family :/

That I know of. 

biancaboricua13

My father was, he wanted to have a child and I was born when he was 47. I was his only child, my mother remarried after their divorce and I was born when she was 27. 

Grumpy Alien

I don't identify as asexual anymore but my mom is probably asexual based on what I know. She doesn't talk about it or seem to care any which way though.

Mychemicalqpr

My mom has literally told me she doesn't feel sexual attraction to a man until she forms a close connection.  She insists that this is just being normal though.  

My brother has a lot of what could be ace moments and has told me he doesn't understand the word sexy, so it's possible.  

So far as I know for sure, I'm the only ace in my family. I'm pretty sure the majority of them are heterosexual. My younger brother told me that he's bisexual, but based on the conversation that followed, I think he's probably more biromantic heterosexual or heteroflexible. (He basically said that he's attracted to certain physical and behavioral masculine features, but not attracted to the male body the same way as to the female body.) But one of my grandmothers... there's a decent chance that she's asexual, or more specifically autochorissexual, but I think the concepts are a little too new to her to have a clear conversation about it.

Hermit Advocate

I am the only ace in my family though I sometimes suspect that my dad might be grey-ace-ish. 

I have no insight into my parents sexuality. 
I'm an only child. My dad passed when I was rather young and my mom seems to have a low sex drive. 

No one in my family talks about orientation so I don't really know.  I would guess my parents are straight though, despite tube fact that they've never talked about it with me.  I'm not really sure about my brother- I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he came out as ace at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't either.

Archived