Pride parades

Vicky Angel

Sorry if this has been posted before, or is in the wrong section.  Earlier this year while I was still coming to terms with being asexual, I looked up the local Pride parade and found 2 actually, with other events going on near by, and for a few weeks before and after the parade.  Unofrtunately neither had any for people like us.  Does AVEN usually have representation at parades in major cities? Are there events going on nearby as well? If not, how do we go about starting it?

Never been to a Pride parade although my sister has, from what I know there isn't really specific asexual stuff but some of them show up anyway. Definitely a bit of a minority but we already knew that!

I went to my first pride last year, I didn't notice any ace specific floats in the parade itself but I didn't pay too much attention to the crowd as I was too busy having a great time. What I can say is that I didn't feel particularly out of place there though. I did notice the lack of ace representation in the parade but as already mentioned, I knew we were a bit of a minority anyway! I'm not too sure how to go about starting an event or group though.

There is some ace representation at various Pride parades, normally organised by locals. In the UK for example the big one is, not surprisingly, London, but aces are also represented in other places like Reading.

If AVENites are going you will usually find something in the meetup section. In case there's nothing for the place you want to go to, it's definitely worth starting a thread there. It's quite probable that others would like to join in. If you do post in the meetup section, just make sure you give it some time in advance so people have a chance to notice and make travel arrangements.

ok thanks

I talked to a friend and found out you have to pay to register floats and register marchers too.  I can't find anything on how to do that though.

I will keep looking.

I can tell you NYC, SF, and LA have all been "officially" included. LA made the decision to start smaller [possibly friendlier] in Long Beach instead of the super huge ultra mega event in West Hollywood. 

If you search (limit to titles only ;) ) for "parade" or "pride" here you'll probably find people talking about their experiences. Having a spot and going through the red tape vs. just showing up.

There are stories about how visibility during pride has reached people outside of the LGBTQA community. One that I know, a psychologist who was completely unaware of our existence until seeing us at pride.

Video! :D

It is super late here so excuse any errors or omissions.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Asexual is considered closer to the straight spectrum so we sometimes are not included in pride stuff. Not that I think we are probably excluded from everything. 

12 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

I think Asexual is considered closer to the straight spectrum so we sometimes are not included in pride stuff. Not that I think we are probably excluded from everything. 

Eh, depends on romantic orientation I think. Also depends on who you're talking to. For example I find pansexuals more likely to acknowledge aces.

We definitely have ace presence at several pride parades :) Contingents are organized by local ace groups, not pride organizers, so it usually just depends how active your local group is (or whether there is a local group).

If you are interested in starting a contingent, I wrote up a few tips here, and I'd be happy to give advice or help answer any questions you may have if you'd like to PM me - I've been helping organize the SF pride parade ace marching group for a few years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be handling the UK registration for London Pride on 08.07.17 

Archived