Are moderator actions getting out of hand?

Togee

Are moderator actions getting out of hand?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are moderator actions getting out of hand?

• Yes
    • No
    • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, recently there's been a lot of discussion about moderator actions being too harsh like bans, thread lockdowns, etc. especially in the PPS and Hot Box. So what's your opinion: "Are moderator actions getting out of hand?"

Anthracite_Impreza

I appreciate the work mods do but atm it feels like walking on eggshells every time you post something, and I'm pretty much the favoured lefty preference on AVEN.

I feel like the question is pretty vague, but yeah, sometimes even I think so. I don't think it is intentional. Sometimes I'm too "afraid" to say anything, especially now, because I don't want to be accused of "backseat modding" when I swear I'm not! :'D

Sometimes I feel like this, even if it's not like that!

Anyway, hopefully they'll hear you guys out. Pretty sure something will get worked out.

Moderator actions are more seeming to go in the wrong direction and punishing for the wrong things than going too far. In my view, they should be encouraging good posting and punishing shit posting, and actually caring about the quality and intent of the post. I've seen Joe for example complaining about people being ridiculous and dishonest in threads and also complaining about moderation going too far. Maybe the moderation should be going towards the people being ridiculous and dishonest.

I got a warning before without realizing I did things that were considered warnable, after  a lot of time

I think that there needs to be more communication to prevent that kind of thing, more "nudges" because I never got any

I think locking the topics is fine

There seems to be fads in thread-posting on  AVEN.    The anti-feminist threads have stopped for now  (oh PLEASE don't take this for a request to start them again geezuz).   Now we have "Mods have gone too far" threads -- there are at least 5 of them currently.

It's totally gone too far. I've gotten warnings for my only 2 genders and the case of Stefonke Wolscht threads even though I was being as polite as humanly possible because I've seen others get flack for the tinest of things.

Maybe those people who moan and gripe about the actions of moderators should actually try being a moderator themselves if they think it is that easy? It is so often a case of "Damned if they do, damned if they don't" for moderators.

While I appreciate the defense, we admods are not above reproach and if the members feel we have stepped out of line, I encourage them to speak their minds as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Two of the site comment threads are ones I suggested the users create. 

I been here over a year and I haven't had a single warning despite some heated discussions.

Maybe I am just missing it cause I cut back on how much I post here, but from my pov the mods have been a bit too lax if anything.

WhenSummersGone

I think some topics are being locked too quickly or staying locked when they shouldn't. I like discussion even when it's been mostly emotional posts (the gender topics especially for me lol). Some topics are just good to talk about.

• 3 weeks later...
WobblyWallaby

I'm rather new here but I find that if I don't like something being said and it looks to be that person is being stubborn and rather horrible...well I just don't say anything. I mean you can't fix stupid. You can't make everyone happy and I find it to be a waste of time to argue with some because it's like yelling at a wall. I am glad that moderators are here because I have  read some things that are...despicable. That being said, I do think moderators should read everything with care and consideration. If that is done the more well thought out posts wouldn't be scrutinized.

Is it the actions of certain moderators that are causing ire amongst members, or all of them? I mean, people can say "I was banned for a stupid reason" until the cows come home, but while this is generalizing that all mods are acting rashly, perhaps it's only a select few that might need to tone it down. Not to start a witch hunt or anything. Just trying to see a different angle.

Nope

23 hours ago, Lemonasculine said:

No. What are you talking about?

Hot box, PPS, and a WHOLE lotta butthurt

On January 20, 2017 at 1:06 AM, WobblyWallaby said:

I mean you can't fix stupid. You can't make everyone happy and I find it to be a waste of time to argue with some because it's like yelling at a wall. I am glad that moderators are here because I have  read some things that are...despicable.

How do I like this more than once?

drjohnhwatson

Haha, I love posts like this or posts that are like "THIS WEBSITE IS DUMB I HATE IT".  I'm not saying they're the same, just that they both tickle me in a similar fashion.

In terms of the question posed by the thread topic, I don't think they're getting out of hand.  I'll be back here to change my mind if I get warned, though.

;).

Tbh some moderators get on my nerves, especially regarding waiting forever to issue a warning so that the issue is already past by the time penalties are given :rolleyes: And questionable TOS interpretations, but overall MOST of them do a good job

• 3 weeks later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I particularly have had no issue with any mods or admins, over all they help when you ask for it and if you're good no problem. I have seen more thread lock downs though but have no comment on them since some do not interest me.

• 10 months later...

@Togee

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived