2017 New Year's Resolutions?

WinterWanderer

New Year's Resolutions?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any resolutions for 2017?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't have any specific resolutions, but I do want to improve my life in some way.
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

WinterWanderer

With 2017 right around the corner (FINALLY!), I thought I'd see if you guys have any New Year's resolutions this year.

I've done them in the past, but I don't think I will this year. My general goal is to get my life together, though. :P Somehow.

I don't do resolutions. If I want to make a change, I do it when I want to. There's nothing that I want to change right now that's also feasible in the very near future.

I don't usually do resolutions, but for the last few years I just keep making new goals for myself. Trying to do them all at once is never going to happen for someone who's just coasted through life, had no real issues other than hating where she's at (home and career, but neither is a miserable state), so I get overwhelmed too easily.

I want to lose weight, gain some muscle, work on cardio (never done it, more than one flight of stairs and I start to move SLOW), draw more often so that I don't get intimidated by ideas and stop before I even try, and eventually create a comic or t-shirt designs or something to build up enough of second income that I feel I can safely move out from my roommates and live alone for the first time in my life. I'd hoped to do this by the time I turned 30, but I don't see it happening in the next year, so unless I win the lottery that I don't play, that's not happening. This January, I'm just going to start with getting up at a reasonable time every day (not 8 or 9 for work and noon on my days off, I feel sick and just sit and snack all day when I do that) and do some light cardio a few times a week. Once I'm in the habit of going to the gym regularly, I might mix in some days where I actually lift weights. Depending on how tax returns go, I might be able to afford the classes my gym offers, and having to pay extra for something is extra incentive to actually go. I'll mix in drawing when I feel like it, but just try to be aware of how often and increase that little by little.

WinterWanderer

@Leona26 Sounds like a good plan. I highly recommend lifting weights as you get into shape. It helped me boost my metabolism far more than cycling/other cardio did. I'm planning to get back into it next year. (I just moved and feel a little intimidated to go to a new gym. People tend to give me weird looks, since I'm a little bitty woman doing the weight machines. Haha)

@fiorya Yes, exactly. I have a friend who goes to a different gym than I joined, but I like the style of mine better. But being just under 5', looking like I'm 10 years younger than I am, and not knowing anyone at my gym makes it so much more stressful than it needs to be. When I start going regularly, I plan to go very early in the morning. The only people that might be there and willing to judge me at that time will be the types to change their opinion when they see me there constantly, actually trying. I'll probably start weights sooner than I first intended. I've had a lot of people say what you did, about it boosting metabolism and that muscle burns more calories than fat, so by putting more on, you're going to burn more overall even while losing weight. Maybe I'll start weights and work in cardio days? I just don't want to do too much at once. If I go every day, I'll stop after the first week of getting up at 6am.

Don't let that intimidation get to you. Just think of all the jaws dropping when you progress enough to just walk in and start lifting more than your own body weight. It won't be much to heavier people, but it will look amazing when a petite woman starts throwing around 150 lbs XD

WinterWanderer
9 minutes ago, Leona26 said:

Don't let that intimidation get to you. Just think of all the jaws dropping when you progress enough to just walk in and start lifting more than your own body weight. It won't be much to heavier people, but it will look amazing when a petite woman starts throwing around 150 lbs XD

Life goal right there! Haha

I will be writing a story about two asexual teens. My resolution is to finish it. Also I should come out to my family but that is a bit chaotic at the moment.

Nope.  I never really understood the point of New Years Resolutions tbh.  If you want to improve your life you don't need to wait for the calendar to turn over to do it.  And if you're making resolutions just for the sake of it,  then they're pretty much destined to fail.

Anthracite_Impreza

I've never bothered, if I want to change anything I do it there and then.

ProtectorOfTheLight

I'm going to finally learn how to dance. And probably make a fool of myself in the process. But I'll be doing it with my brother and mom (at least somewhat), so they can share the pain. :)

no... new years resolutions is a stupid idea, if theres something wrong with my life i fix it (or work to fix it) there and then not wait until a new year starts, that doesnt make any sense??? i already do exercise and am always improving that as i go along and i cant afford to eat much healthier though i did cut down on deep fried foods in the middle of last year

I used to have resolutions but I either did not follow through, forgot about them entirely or realized that it was kind of a pointless goal I set for myself that gave me no satisfaction at the end of the year. 

Now I just have hopes. Like I hope this year is better than last year. I hope I am happier this year. I hope something cool happens to me. That's probably passive thinking, but like others said I will focus on actively changing when I'm ready regardless of the date. 

cavalier080854

Never to listen to MTV 2017 Resolutions for White Guys. Sexist, misandrist and racist. Even MTV pulled it twice then banned it as not up to standard. That shows how bad it was.

cavalier080854

My resolution for 2017 is to wish everyone at AVEN a Happy New Year, then leave it for good. No, seriously. I'll be back to do the survey in October, and urging the older members to do the survey for better age demographic balance. This site is really for millenials trying to find their way.

WhenSummersGone

Yes but it's mostly the things I didn't accomplish in 2016. I have to find different ways to reach my goals/desires.

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. I just start trying to change when I see the need and have a plan for how to change, regardless of the time of year.   

What I currently want to change:

* I want to get my driver's license

* I want to be more emotionally stable and healthy

* I want to do daily living tasks more consistently 

* I want to do well in the job my parents have set up for me in their office   

I am going to try to not take anything seriously because it's all just idiocy.  

Hermit Advocate

To not rage quit my job.

Come out as transgender

Write more

Be more creative in other ways too

• 4 weeks later...
The Terrible Travis
  • Confess my feelings to my crush
  • Write more short stories
  • Improve my grades
  • Be more social
  • Eat healthier
  1. Make a business generating $500/month of passive income by the end of the year.
  2. Become closer to my soul.
  3. Get abs six-pack.
  4. Be free from sugar, flour, caffeine, pasta, white rice, potatoes, bread, etc. (probably done)
  • 10 months later...
The Terrible Travis
On 2/5/2017 at 3:31 AM, The Terrible Travis said:
  • Confess my feelings to my crush
  • Write more short stories
  • Improve my grades
  • Be more social
  • Eat healthier
  • Didn't do that
  • Didn't do that
  • They got worse during the first portion of 2017, then got better during the second portion. So I guess I half-fulfilled this resolution.
  • I was slightly more social than I was in 2016.
  • I ate slightly healthier in 2017 than in 2016.

welp

i didn't completely fail my resolutions like i did all the previous years, so i suppose that's something

WinterWanderer
On 12/27/2016 at 6:21 PM, Fioryn said:

With 2017 right around the corner (FINALLY!), I thought I'd see if you guys have any New Year's resolutions this year.

I've done them in the past, but I don't think I will this year. My general goal is to get my life together, though. :P Somehow.

Whoa, I completely forgot I created this thread. :blink:

I did get my life together! No resolutions again this year. Just hoping to survive into 2019 with my two kitties. It's going to be a rough year. 

everywhere and nowhere

I never make new year's resolutions. However, I recently enrolled at a gym and I want to improve my general fitness level (which is very poor), the condition of my knee joints and my muscle mass, which would allow me to remain a "big lady" when going down to safer fat levels.

My mom never fancied the idea - she said things like "You should eat less instead of having bigger muscles!" - but now she's very welcoming towards the idea. Yet, I WANT to be more muscular, also because it makes me feel more sexually invisible.

General note 

Please bear in my mind that this thread will shortly be closed and archived as part of the census archive

A discussion about new year's resolution for 2018 probably be best for a new thread :)

this is the first year i've actually decided to have a new year's resolution! i've decided that I want to do something creative every week. i think it will be pretty easy to keep up since i started translating manga as a hobby, and i see that as a creative endeavor.

I definitely do. 

1.Be a kinder and more generous daughter, sister, friend and girlfriend

2.Get good grades 

3.Stay positive and don't get down on myself. 

4. Don't over think everything so much

@Fioryn

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived