1. 1. How averse are you to touch

• 1/5
    • 2/5
    • 3/5
    • 4/5
    • 5/5
    • I don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

You have to be really freaking special to me before I ever allow you to give me a hug :P 

J. van Deijck
13 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

I was averse to touch since I was a baby. 

Same. There are only some people who are allowed to hug me, but please, don't exaggerate.

I get a burning sensation from touch, and if it's someone I don't know / don't like, I just feel violated.

Oh, even a partner that I get to know from LDR, I will need time get comfortable to hug or touch... My mind otherwise has different fantasies of cuddling, hugging, hold hands though... >_>. IRL.. not going to happen anytime soon.

I have Autism so this impacts on my sense of touch greatly, even holding hands makes me uncomfortable

I'm a very cuddly Charlie and will get down when I haven't cuddled for a while BUT I do not like being touched by people I don't know or like. It makes me really uncomfortable.

Hugging me is allowed for friends, partner, family and some colleagues when I'm in a good mood. When I'm not I don't want to be hugged or even touched by anyone who is no close friend, partner, or parent.

For my boyfriend, it depends on my mood.

For my family, I'll enjoy an occasional hug, but that's it.

For friends, I'll tolerate touch a bit, but I dislike it.

For strangers, I'm like "Ew, get away from me!"

I don't like being touched by people I don't know very much, but in general I'm not touch adverse.  When I'm with friends or family I really enjoy hugs and things ^_^

Only immediate family, my best friend, and (if I had one) significant other.  That's it.

Not a fan of shaking hands, getting a haircut etc. but have to tolerate that stuff.  I can't understand why people like to get a massage (from a professional), that sounds awful to me. 

I don't like space invaders either. (people who violate your personal space, although without actually touching. Too close.)

I keep thinking I want to find a partner to curl up on the couch with and cuddle, but so far in my life I can't stand touching for no reason. My friends know I don't like hugs, but I'm willing to high-five (though I think it's dumb to high-five as a greeting), and my parents were always confused why tickling just pissed me off. They thought I was just moody and throwing a tantrum, never realized I did it EVERY TIME they started tickling. I'm most comfortable sitting in a separate chair instead of with everyone on the couch, or I'll take the floor. If I'm in a crowded space in public, I'll deal with any shoulder bumps just fine (the panic here is more from me being under 5' in an American crowd rather than in contact with people). I've gotten to be ok with hugs as thanks or farewells, but I'll still try to avoid it and hope it goes unnoticed. I will of course hug my grandparents every time I see them. They are the only exception (so far).

I don't consider myself touchy-felt but I have no aversion to touch.

Hermit Advocate

Friends/family: okay.

Strangers: hell no. 

Im mildly touch averse because of autism. I can stand touch but i don't like to be touched all the time. I don't mind being touched by family members. Touch by strangers is a big no no but i tolerate it if it's for a new hair cut or anything else like that.

I'm okay with being touched. As I'm involved with a sports team, I'mbuse to doinglg arm wrestling handshakes (Think "Dillion, you son of a bitch" from Predator) which often turns into a half hug as well (with the non handshake arm)with other men who I don't really know. I have grown more use to giving friendly hugs to fale aquentinces too. I could probably handle a wee peck on the cheek as well from aquatances.

I said 2/5... I really don't mind normal touching, like shaking hands, brushing against people, etc. I can even enjoy short hugs. But any more than that is noooooope! I hate it when people are physically affectionate to me. I find this very hard to explain. For instance, if a friend tried to hug me every time we met, I would get very 'averse' (not exactly the right word) to their touch at all after a while. I lived with someone for a short time, and they kept trying to be affectionate to me, just platonically. But I couldn't stand it. I'm still great friends with them, but I now can't stand them touching me at all for some reason. That happens with anyone. I really don't know how to convey my thoughts, so I'm just going to end this here.

I was never erm... never loved by my parents so I never liked being touched as I got older. I am very much like a animal in that regard. I'll flail and try to get away. It really makes me feel vulnerable. 

ProtectorOfTheLight

I like hugging and touching other people, but don't like them touching me.

I'm very touchy feely if we're close (to the point of climbing on my Mom's lap as an adult), but if I don't know you well, don't touch me.  

WhenSummersGone

Somewhere in the middle I think. Sometimes I really don't like it.

TheyCallMeMiles

I've never been fond of touch but it's getting worse and worse I think <_<

I don't think I can quite say "not at all," but I will say "minimally."

Quite. Took my friends three years before they could hug me without me nearly stabbing them. I'm sort of getting better at hugs, I think? But I still absolutely cannot stand it when other people touch me.

Hermit Advocate

I feel like I am becoming more touch sensitive lately. 

Can't stand holding hands but  I like hugs so idk haha. As long as the touch isn't romantic I'm fine with it and actually enjoy it sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger/teen, it really bothered me to be hugged. I tried to avoid it. In some ways I think it may have coloured my interaction w/ girls. 

As I've gotten older it doesn't bother me if a friend wants a hug & I'll be there for them. On the other hand don't get me started on our PM's overly demonstrative hugs . IMO, very inappropriate for a head of state. If my boss had wanted to hug me like that as a gesture of a simple greeting rather than a congratulatory one, I'd have a hard time not punching him. Shaking hands will do quite fine.

Depends on the person. With some people I could latch onto in a hug and never leave. Others I will kill/cut off their finger if they even as much as ponder the idea of touching me.

Archived