Volcanology/Geology questions

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

When I lived on the ie of Skye, I noticed that the annual highland games were held in a place called the Lump, which was the crater of an extinct volcano.

There's also an area that's full of fossil bones.

While I was there some e also told me that thete are 2 types of rock ,each belonging to a different continent but I never found out any more at the time.

Do you think that could be the edge of a tectonic plate @Shieldmaiden WinterDragon?

4 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Do you think that could be the edge of a tectonic plate

Oh yes, there are definite plate tectonics at work in that part of the world. :) 

Just now, chandrakirti said:

Thanks @daveb !

I would be interested if the WinterDragon can expound on that though. :D 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well I kept hearing that there were two types of rock found in the Hebrides... One island is supposed to have these side by side suggesting that's the plate, so Winterdragon will know all about this.

Haven't checked again but I remember something about Jurassic footprints of some dinosaur.

I could jump in on this one but will only do so if Shieldmaiden Winter Dragon doesn't catch the post. I'm into sedimentology rather than volcanoes. I think plate tectonics is totally brilliant and to cut a long story short, north west Scotland and some of Ireland used to be joined to Newfoundland. The rest of the UK was on the other side of a long - closed ocean. Got to admit I'm surprised about the Jurassic stuff.

1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

north west Scotland and some of Ireland used to be joined to Newfoundland. The rest of the UK was on the other side of a long - closed ocean.

That was my understanding, too, from my geography studies. :) 

Well, I'm blowed! Important Jurassic outcrops on Skye and Raasay and scattered ones on Mull and at Ardnamurchan. Sutherland too. I never think of Scotland as having some  Jurassic @chandrakirti. Lots of ammonites apparently.

• 8 months later...
On 2/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, Tunhope said:

I could jump in on this one but will only do so if Shieldmaiden Winter Dragon doesn't catch the post. I'm into sedimentology rather than volcanoes. I think plate tectonics is totally brilliant and to cut a long story short, north west Scotland and some of Ireland used to be joined to Newfoundland. The rest of the UK was on the other side of a long - closed ocean. Got to admit I'm surprised about the Jurassic stuff.

Yes........ not to mention ancient volcanic activity through monogentic volcanic activity....... 

There's more I'm going to add on the activity in the Tetons. 

On 2/14/2019 at 5:19 AM, Guest Jetsun Milarepa said:

When I lived on the ie of Skye, I noticed that the annual highland games were held in a place called the Lump, which was the crater of an extinct volcano.

There's also an area that's full of fossil bones.

While I was there some e also told me that thete are 2 types of rock ,each belonging to a different continent but I never found out any more at the time.

Do you think that could be the edge of a tectonic plate @Shieldmaiden WinterDragon?

That area is on a monogenetic volcanic field...... theres so much to find through that part of the UK. 

The Highland Games...... I'm a clan commissioner at the games for the north west and west part of the United  states including a piper.

The world in many places has so much to tell including Jurassic history and tectonic. I only began looking more into this field of geological science.... it's wonderful. 

• 3 months later...

With the recent volcanism around the world and me possibly returning to the Big Island later this summer to do some remapping of my systems on it There will be more information slowly coming in on volcanoes around the world. One notably on Anak Krakatau since it's collapse and reformation and on Taal in the Philippines, White Island in New Zealand and a few others.

Taal scares me. All the classic signs of a significant magma intrusion have been underway, and while it seems to be in a relatively quiet phase now, it could go explosive again with little warning... Much faster than people could be re-evacuated. I'm hoping it will settle down, but have a feeling that it isn't done yet.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, GatsbyGirl said:

Thoughts on underwater volcanoes? 

What would you like to know about them?

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

I've been busy with online courses in Volcano and earthquake studies and been busy watching the activity in Chile, and Alaska. 

With Covid, I've stayed home, and returned to an airport company I used to work for and will soon become a supervisor. However I also have plans on going to the Geological Survey as a paid employee but start with Homeland Security.

With recent activity in Chile and Alaska again, and other geological activity I've been silent and will start posting more now that I have Wifi.

• 4 months later...

As of recent events I have been doing many things besides earthquake updates. I am now waiting to be hired with the volcano observatory.

http://imgur.com/a/VCvvCqQ

with global activity on the rise I have been up most nights. I will revive my domain in here.

• 1 month later...

So what does everyone think about all the earthquakes in iceland?

Being not in Iceland, but in the UK?

Extremely interested almost to the point of it being distracting from work.  It sounds like it could do something interesting (like erupt), but I'm very much not an expert on this.

This Twitter thread has a lot of interesting links:

Gisli Olafsson on Twitter: "Strong signs of a potential #volcano #eruption near #Keilir on #Reykjanes peninsula. Scientists reporting #earthquake patterns that are similar to the start of an eruption. Eruption likely to start within the next few hours. https://t.co/wWf7Pxk9uU" / Twitter

Obviously, it didn't erupt a few hours after that initial post, nor a few days (as of writing?)!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's official. The once dormant volcano in Iceland has erupted a bit.

Archived