Welcome to the WorldPride 2017 Madrid planning forum!

michaeld

Hi all!!

As many of you know, WorldPride Madrid is coming up in the summer of next year! We are expecting a large international delegation. It's high time to start planning for this event!

WorldPride is something of an AVEN tradition. It is an international event, unconnected with AVEN, but we use it for an excuse to have an international meetup, including a parade march (as part of the city's pride for that year) and a conference. We'll be handing out stickers, fliers, talking to the press and doing anything else to make as huge a splash as possible. We'll be holding talks and discussions. We got plenty of media coverage too the first two times (and a couple of mini-documentaries came out of it) and should do again this time. Finally of course we are there to support the event as a whole and be allies to the wider LGBTQ+ community.

What’s different this time is that we’re in a country where the local language is not English. We work together with the Spanish AVEN forum (AVENes). It's very exciting working with the Spanish community for the first time!

Saturday 1 July 2017: The WorldPride 2017 march, including an asexual walking group - us!

Sunday 2 July 2017: The asexuality conference at WorldPride 2017, sign up here!

This forum is for the planning! The immediate priorities are

(1) help and support with people booking their flights and accommodation,

(2) helping to publicise the event to the ace community and beyond!

I'll be putting out specific calls shortly but if anyone would like to get involved right now or has any other ideas please get in touch!

Hope to see as many of you as possible in Madrid!! :cake:

EDIT: link to the conference registration added!

EDIT^2: Please see more important information from María about all the events on offer on this post:

• Like 9

I look forward to it.

I will tell everyone about it at my Asexuality 101 presentation next month.

I hope to see a lot of people there!

While you are there, be sure to check out the Museo del Prado and many other awesome sites.

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Good idea Kelly, maybe that can be part of the planning.

I'm always trying to get ahead with travel plans so the sooner we can get organised the better, eh?

Certainly put me in the frame for this.

scarletlatitude

I will not be able to make it to Pride but I will certainly help out online in anyway that I can. Yey visibility. ^_^

Hi! AVENes member here! Just dropping by to say we are super excited about this! I'm not from Madrid so I most likely won't be involved in organisation. But I'll attend the WP in Madrid. I'm not sure about the big pride march but for the conference I'll be there. Would also be happy to do tourism, I've been in Madrid plenty of times to visit friends and family (even lived there for a few months) but I've never gone to Prado or almost any other place for tourism. So count me in for "extras".

And I wanted to add that there is usually an alternative/critic pride march. It's probably worthless for publicity and TV and press. But it's friendlier than the big commercial pride march and it probably would be valuable for the locals to be seen there in a larger group than usual.

Baikal Balkash

Hi everybody. Here another from AVENes. Also not from Madrid but I will be there for the Pride and also for that alternative march that Alex.andra mentioned, which is less noisy but much more friendlier. The alternative march will be on the 28th of June. I plan to be for a week from the 27th of june to the 4th of July. So I will be there to make sightseeing or trips.

Happy (and nervous) to see things moving about this topic. From Spain we are a bit scared but we will try our best. Looking forward to seeing you in few months.

• Like 2
Chrysocolla Town

I'm so excited about the WorldPride Madrid 2017 and i won't even be anywhere near it!

Which brings me to: could it be posible to have a posters submission for local groups, to put around the space? With information about the group, some history or local issues, social media and contact info. In the local language, english and/or spanish?

And/or maybe material the groups already have, pamphlets and so, to have around the chill-out room (if there's any).

:DD

• Like 1
On 28/12/2016 at 0:48 PM, Baikal Balkash said:

Happy (and nervous) to see things moving about this topic. From Spain we are a bit scared but we will try our best. Looking forward to seeing you in few months.

Just booked my flights for the Madrid meet in February. Maybe we can talk about WP in person there? Looking forward to seeing you next month. :)

45 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Just booked my flights for the Madrid meet in February. Maybe we can talk about WP in person there? Looking forward to seeing you next month. :)

:o Is the national meet up going to be international? OMG it's next months already? *enters into panic mode for no reason at all*.

Just now, Alex.andra said:

:o Is the national meet up going to be international? OMG it's next months already? *enters into panic mode for no reason at all*.

No, I don't think so. Just thought it's a good idea to go so I can help coordinating Project Team with the locals a bit. Also, I haven't been in Spain for ages and really miss it. :D

• Like 1

Pfff... If you come from another country, even if you came for just 30 minutes, we wouldn't miss the opportunity to joke and call it international. It just sounds too cool not to. :P

• Like 1
Baikal Balkash
17 hours ago, timewarp said:

Great. We will be there waiting for you. Talking in person about WP it's a fantastic oportunity to coordinate together before the event and more fluent that virtual communication. Good news!

Pinned this thread as I expect this forum to become busier.

timewarp, Project Team

• Like 1

I'm in! I'll be there, and I'm happy to help with whatever I can until then too. PM me though; I won't necessarily be watching this forum very well :P

• Like 3
Baikal Balkash
On 10/1/2017 at 11:06 PM, chandrakirti said:

Has the route of the march been released yet? Just that I'd find somewhere close by.

Here I shared a map were the route of the march is marked. It is the route of last year and I don't expect they will change it. It is in the center along main and wide streets.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

By the way, I'm thinking, as it's an international gathering, will it be secure enough? It could be a target, like so many things have been , recently.

Baikal Balkash

I think it will be secure enough. For example for New Years Eve (another possible target) in Madrid there was an special security protocol as they did other years. The square were the crowd gathered for the celebration was emptied and then people were "registered" so as they couldn't enter anything dangerous and when the capacity (people were also counted) was reached police didn't allow more people to enter the square.

For Pride I expect as it will be WorldPride and even more people will attend and because of the "risk" of being a target that this year they will put a barrier between parade and public. Last year there wasn't and nothing happened. In places were the route was in wide streets it was good, but in the places where there was a narrower space it was a bit opressive, that's why I desire this year they will set a barrier. If there weren't we as a group will have to set that barrier maybe with strings surrounding us or something similar. It's one of the things we learnt last year. 

Anyway, I feel safe about Madrid and I think those days security will be increased.

Don't forget Airbnb. There's the possibility of renting an entire house or apartment, which fits more people.

About online renting of apartments... I don't know how it's in Madrid, but in Barcelona over time it's become a huge issue. Many flat owners rent apartments/flats with no regards towards the neighbours, they rent to people wanting to party and neighbours get sensitive about the noise. If you chose that option be VERY mindful of where you are. You can´t know if maybe the previous week the renters where horrible and neighbours are willing to call the police as soon as they hear a bit of noise. So be careful.

• Like 1
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Point taken. I'm like a mouse myself, I don't drink or like partying, so I'd probably seek out neighbours to put their minds art rest (for that weekend at least).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone my name is Iria and I'm a spanish online activist. I hate to bring bad news but I've been seeing a lot of hate towards us asexuals on the spanish lgbt movement. Some people have said that they don't want any asexual visibility or particition on the march. So I thought maybe we should talk about security and of course make ouselfs seen and heard.

3 hours ago, IriaMorris said:

Hey everyone my name is Iria and I'm a spanish online activist. I hate to bring bad news but I've been seeing a lot of hate towards us asexuals on the spanish lgbt movement. Some people have said that they don't want any asexual visibility or particition on the march. So I thought maybe we should talk about security and of course make ouselfs seen and heard.

Hi @IriaMorris can you reference some sites where this is going on? Or give some more explanations about when/what happened? I don't move around LGBT and even less in Madrid so I have no idea about this. In Barcelona the few we've met were cool... One was even glad to finally meet asexuals (because they knew we existed but aren´t around) but a few people hardly makes "everyone" so I have no clue about this.

Another AVENes member here. I'm not from Madrid (I live in Barcelona) but I'll be happy to help with some written translations if needed or if somebody wishes to visit Barcelona I'll be happy to give them some tips. PM me because I'll forget to visit the forum for ages...

On 2/1/2017 at 4:10 PM, timewarp said:

Looking forward to meeting you in two weeks! I've wanted to meet an Intergalactic Hitchhiker since I read the books :P

• Like 1
Chrysocolla Town
4 hours ago, IriaMorris said:

I would also like to know more. Are there LGBT+ groups in Madrid that do include asexuals? Are the groups that do not include us part of the organization of the WorldPride? 

Any idea of how we could help you? I have a couple of posts drafted in my blog that may help,  so i'll push them up in the queue to like, march.

Baikal Balkash

I was last year in both marchs in Madrid: the pride and the alternative. Everything was great. In the alternative march asexual people took part in the organization and preparation. Then we marched with our banner as any other group. Any shout against us was heard. Then when the march finished there was a time for reading manifests of different groups. There was a place for reading an asexual manifest. It was the first time in Spain where something like that happened. It was incredible, I was one of the readers, to see that diversity of people paying attention to our message and making their. You can see a video of the manifest here. Transcript is below the video. And although you don't know Spanish you can see people's reactions. 

About other LGTB groups the 27th of January a talk about asexuality was given in COGAM, one of the biggest LGTB+ organizations in Spain. And in February another talk will be given in the context of a diversity week organised by a LGTB+ group linked to a university. 

About WorldPride. Last year in the mainstream Pride we didn't have any problem to registrate and take part in. We were accepted as any other group and we marched. Again any shout against us was heard. And here you can watch a video of how our group was welcomed by the organization at the end of the march and how people in the square reacted.

Last year I wasn't worried about security and this year I won't be worried. More after the reactions of last year that was the first public presence of asexuality in pride marchs in Madrid. I'm more scared about our internal organization as people all over the world will be coming or how to organise the asexual conference because of all of the work concerned. And if something hurts us will be sun and high temperatures.

I know that sometimes online there are more than discussions and arguments take place. Sometimes I hear about trolls throwing messages against asexuality. But it is online world and just a part of it as online we can also find lot of support. My message it is that online struggles remain online and don't go offline. I feel safe of being asexual in a Pride March and I will be there in Madrid this year.  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I always wanted to go to the Pride but I don't have many friends so I finally never go. It would be nice to go this year :)