Research Participation Request: The Formation of Identity: Asexuality in the Digital Age

timewarp

Weng-Ching Cheung from Washington University, St. Louis, has contacted AVEN about the following project:

Hello! My name is Weng-Ching Cheung and I am a senior at Washington University in St. Louis. I am conducting a capstone project for my primary major, American Culture Studies, and I was hoping to post on AVEN and find research participants through AVEN. In short, my project is about the construction of identity, and I specifically focus on asexuality in the digital age. I want to ask AVEN community members how they have come to identify as whatever they identify as (I realize the ACE umbrella is quite wide!), and how this identity has helped them navigate today's society. I would post a thread asking a few questions and also ask if anyone would consent to be interviewed (over the phone, Skype, or just through email correspondence).

Why am I doing this project? A few reasons. The most person is that I myself identity as grey-asexual, and I want to bring more visibility to asexuality. And while asexuality (and other ACE categories) has existed since the beginning of humanity, asexuality as an identity is a relatively new construct, so it is the perfect avenue to explore the construction of identity and the impact of labels and categorization. Lastly, I believe that we currently live in a very sex-centered world, where sex has become problematized, normalized, and specialized all at the same time; we have made it into such an integral part of our identity that colors everything we do. I want to push against this idea.

As usual, participation is restricted to a minimum age of 18. If you would like to participate, please follow the following link to the survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/Hu3Z2ua5sQ11vggp1

EDIT: The survey is closed.

For any further information please contact Weng-Ching at the following email address: wcheung@wustl.edu

This research request has been approved by the Research Approval Board for advertising on AVEN.

timewarp

Dedicated Research Contact

• 1 month later...
LittleGoody2Shoes

Neither one of those links worked for me.

Hello, Karl. Yes, I clicked on the link, too, but the webpage said that the researcher reached 150 responses and decided to close the survey because they had enough responses. So, that survey is finished.

Archived