American AVENites, for whom did you vote?

Joe the Stoic

For whom did you vote?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. For whom did you vote?

• Hillary
    • Trump
    • Stein
    • Johnson
    • Wrote in Bernie
    • Wrote in someone else
    • Other
    • I did not vote for President

This poll is closed to new votes

Harambe.

No, but seriously, my absentee ballot never came in. Election was rigged!

Hillary but I was and am a Bernie supporter.

I voted for Johnson.  Even though he wasn't a perfect candidate, he was the one I agreed the most with politically.  I didn't really like Trump or Hillary, and since I wasn't voting in a swing state I couldn't justify voting for someone I didn't actually like that much.

Hillary. The idea of Trump in the WH gives me a rash and that fact that he's there makes me very unhappy. Yes, Hillary is not the best choice, but given the horrible job Johnson did as governor of NM and that I didn't think he had a chance in you know where to begin with, I went with Hillary.

Joe the Stoic
5 minutes ago, =NolePtr said:

Voting for a 3rd party is stealing votes from the Democrats.

Actually, I would say Trump lost more votes to third parties this year.

Notte stellata
7 hours ago, =NolePtr said:

Voting for a 3rd party is stealing votes from the Democrats.

How do you even know people who voted for a 3rd party all prefer Democrats to Republicans?

24 minutes ago, Notte stellata said:

How do you even know people who voted for a 3rd party all prefer Democrats to Republicans?

Not all... but most. 3rd parties steal votes from the incumbent party.

Joe the Stoic
51 minutes ago, =NolePtr said:

Johnson probably stole more votes from Trump than Stein did from Hillary.

Hillary, and I did like her, very much.  Which apparently was the case with many people, since she won the popular vote by more than 2 million.

Hillary. I voted for Bernie in the primary, and would have preferred him to go up against Trump. But, she was a pretty decent candidate. I really didn't want Trump to win, and it scares me on many levels. He's not nearly as bad as the people he's surrounding himself with, and a lot of his supporters. Those people can do a lot more damage.

1 minute ago, anzu2snow said:

Hillary. I voted for Bernie in the primary, and would have preferred him to go up against Trump. But, she was a pretty decent candidate. I really didn't want Trump to win, and it scares me on many levels. He's not nearly as bad as the people he's surrounding himself with, and a lot of his supporters.

The people he's surrounding himself with are going to be doing the actual work.  

2 minutes ago, Sally said:

The people he's surrounding himself with are going to be doing the actual work.  

Yeah, that's why I added that they can do the most damage, and that I'm more scared of them.

On 11/29/2016 at 11:44 PM, =NolePtr said:

Harambe.

A lot of people at my college never got their absentee ballots.  It's so sad :(

I voted for Bernie in the primary but I voted for Hillary in the general, no problem.  I'm pretty freaked out that Mr. Cheeto won and I'm equally freaked out by his cabinet and staff picks.

On 11/29/2016 at 11:44 PM, =NolePtr said:

1 hour ago, emma-can said:

A lot of people at my college never got their absentee ballots.  It's so sad :(

My absentee ballot got sent to the wrong address, so if things had worked out slightly differently I wouldn't have gotten mine either.  The sate of New Jersey mixed up the order of two digits in my apartment number, and then my apartment complex itself (which consists of two buildings), sent my ballot to the given apartment number in the building I don't live in by mistake.  The only reason I was actually able to get it in time and vote, was because these two errors combined together actually meant it ended up in one of my student's apartments, and so he recognized the name and asked if it was meant for me during the next class of his that I taught

I wonder if it is possible that Hillary could have won if everyone got their absentee ballots?

22 minutes ago, =NolePtr said:

I wonder if it is possible that Hillary could have won if everyone got their absentee ballots?

It would depend on the portion of people from each party that didn't get theirs, and the states that they live in.  I'm actually a registered republican (an independent registered as republican to vote against Trump in the primaries, but still), so to my state it probably looked like I would vote Trump, and so it's not like missing absentee ballots were targeted against likely Hillary voters.

• 1 month later...
The Terrible Travis
On 11/30/2016 at 7:36 PM, =NolePtr said:

There is no such thing as "stealing votes".

drjohnhwatson

I voted for Johnson.  Supported Bernie Sanders vociferously as some of you might know from back in the day when we debated the merits of each candidate way back when on here, haha.

And before people get snarly about it--I live in Indiana.  We rarely ever go blue (turned for Obama in '08 and the last time we went Democrat before that was in 1964.  Since 1900 we've only voted blue in 1912, 1932, 1936, 1964, and 2008), and Trump won here by a lot.  So my "protest vote" that was "stealing from Hillary" wasn't.

I think the real problem isn't third party (I think third party should be given validity, not that the candidates running this time were, uh, that great), but rather the millions and millions of eligible voters who don't vote because they can't be bothered.  This past election might have been a very different picture indeed had even a fraction of those people voted.

The Terrible Travis
23 hours ago, drjohnhwatson said:

I voted for Johnson.  Supported Bernie Sanders vociferously as some of you might know from back in the day when we debated the merits of each candidate way back when on here, haha.

And before people get snarly about it--I live in Indiana.  We rarely ever go blue (turned for Obama in '08 and the last time we went Democrat before that was in 1964.  Since 1900 we've only voted blue in 1912, 1932, 1936, 1964, and 2008), and Trump won here by a lot.  So my "protest vote" that was "stealing from Hillary" wasn't.

I think the real problem isn't third party (I think third party should be given validity, not that the candidates running this time were, uh, that great), but rather the millions and millions of eligible voters who don't vote because they can't be bothered.  This past election might have been a very different picture indeed had even a fraction of those people voted.

I'm kinda curious here. If you supported Bernie Sanders during the primary and didn't want to vote for either of the major party candidates during the general election, why would you pick Gary Johnson over Jill Stein? She's much closer to Sanders' views than Johnson is.

drjohnhwatson
Just now, AcePsycho86 said:

I'm kinda curious here. If you supported Bernie Sanders during the primary and didn't want to vote for either of the major party candidates during the general election, why would you pick Gary Johnson over Jill Stein? She's much closer to Sanders' views than Johnson is.

I wanted to, but she wasn't on the ballot.  I could write her in, but...

Regardless, I knew neither one of them had a snowball's chance in hell, so it didn't matter much in the end.  I just primarily wanted to vote for positions at the state-level, which all went Republican anyway, sigh.

The Terrible Travis
2 minutes ago, drjohnhwatson said:

I wanted to, but she wasn't on the ballot.  I could write her in, but...

Regardless, I knew neither one of them had a snowball's chance in hell, so it didn't matter much in the end.  I just primarily wanted to vote for positions at the state-level, which all went Republican anyway, sigh.

I agree neither of them had a chance at actually winning the election. They did have a pretty good chance at reaching 5% though.

I was really hoping that one of the third party candidates would reach 5%.  I know third party candidates have no chance of winning, but I think even just having a third voice in debates and things would be good for the country.

EmotionalAndroid

While no candidate was the best, I voted for Hillary. She is definitely the most qualified candidate.

I did not want to see DT in the white house, and voting for Hillary was the only way to try to prevent it. Voting for a smaller party only took votes away from the Democrats, which is part of the reason, I think, why DT got in there in the first place. This was NOT the election to make "protest votes" by writing names in or choosing a small party that had no chance of winning.

drjohnhwatson
1 hour ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

While no candidate was the best, I voted for Hillary. She is definitely the most qualified candidate.

I did not want to see DT in the white house, and voting for Hillary was the only way to try to prevent it. Voting for a smaller party only took votes away from the Democrats, which is part of the reason, I think, why DT got in there in the first place. This was NOT the election to make "protest votes" by writing names in or choosing a small party that had no chance of winning.

I think that the might be partially true?  It depends on the area.  If you're voting protest in a swing state, like Ohio, or in a state that should have went blue but didn't (Pennsylvania), then yeah, it'll make the difference.  But for me, I live in Indiana.  Gary Johnson got 4.9% of the vote, and "Other", whatever that might be, got 0.4% of the vote.  Add those together, and third parties took away 5.3% of the vote.

Hillary Clinton received 37.8% of the vote in my state.

Donald Trump?  56.9%.  My protest vote did nothing.  Pretend that EVERY SINGLE VOTE could have gone to Hillary instead of a third party, and Hillary would still have been behind 13.8%.  There's absolutely no way that she could have won here, period.

I think the bigger problem is that people think we're a democracy (we're not) and that a huge portion of society can vote but doesn't vote.  They estimated 40% of the eligible voting population didn't vote.  That could have very definitely changed who won the election!

Archived