Where do you go to church?

ashpenaz

Green Mandala

First Christian Church--Disciples of Christ

• 1 month later...

I go to a southern baptist church. It is very conservative, but it fits me and I feel very comfortable there. The people are very nice and I'm getting the message I need. The most important part of finding the right church is visiting, praying about it and staying in the one that feels right. You will know when you find the right place. :)

I currently attend a United Methodist Church.  I definitely agree with the feeling that's it's hard to fit in as a single as so much of the Church revolves around the family.

• 4 weeks later...

Since returning home to San Diego, I have been back to the Unitarian Universalist Church on a regular basis.  I used to sing in the choir there before moving away.  I really enjoy the open minded, like minded discussions people get into there.  They are a group of people who value education, working for social justice, and generally taking your spiritual beliefs into real world practice.  They are not heavy on the dogma and are very open and accepting of all people regardless of race, nationality, gender identities, sexual orientations, etc.

I am dealing with some health challenges and have received a lot of love and support there recently.

• 1 month later...

I'm Lutheran, but I have struggled to find a church where I really feel like they are living out what the Bible says.  I'm from a VERY conservative background, but I am much more open, so I would like a church that reflects this. I am more of a free-lance Christian right now. 

I align with no brand name of religion, and have a habit of looking at holy writ with an eye to 'what have HUMANS done to this message throughout the years to maintain control over their devoted flock,' so I carry no designation on the religious spectrum other than to say 'My faith is between myself and The Natural."

Drives my family (who are rather obsessively Christian) nuts.  They're all certain I'm on the fast track to Hell.
So, no church for me.

After my latest move, I ended up in an Episcopal congregation. Before this, I've been in ELCA Lutheran churches in several locations. Both denominations have (unfortunately late in  the grand scheme of things) embraced a theology welcoming to God's broadly diverse children, including explicit moves of reconciliation towards the LGBT community. The congregations I've ended up in also tend to serve people in a broad variety of family situations (not just married with 2.5 children and a dog).

i go to church sometimes 

the key is to ignore everything they say so you dont get pissed off. 

• 2 months later...

White Castle. It's a fast food restaurant. Sounds crazy but I began thinking about Buddhism. Why the monks would require students to do things like water dead plants every day. It became a ritual and eventually a sacrament. Always performed in the same place, the same time, the same way.  I was raised Catholic and this was how the mass was conducted. Well, never the same sermon every time and sometimes I got different sauces for my onion chips. Then I would drive out to the cemetery and eat lunch beside the same little tombstone. I watched seasons pass this way. Then years. I think the point being made was that if one made every day things sacraments one's entire life would become a sacrament. I never have to go to church anymore. I never leave it.

I have almost given up on the notion of church as a place one can attend and see it more as a spiritual relationship that I attend to. I wish that "churches" were more about that but they seem more like social groups that are horrified by who I am and where I've been than places to share a spiritual walk. It is Sunday and I thought about going and trying to find fellowship. I opted for walking my dog instead. Church is where I find it-often on a street corner with a friend.

• 3 months later...

iVE BEEN TO A CHURCH CALLED rIVER cOMMUNITY cHURCH. a CHURCH SHOULD BE ABOUT COMMUNITY AND REACHING OUT. iTS NOT US 4 AND NO MORE. lOL tHE MORE THE BETTER  aND BE ACCEPTING OF PEOPLE. gENTLY HELP OR CORRECT AND BE QUICK TO ENCOURAGE AND FORGIVE. WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE, nO ROOM FOR JUDGEMENT ON THOSE TERMS 

• 6 months later...

I've been Unitarian Universalist for a decade and love it. While individual congregations sometimes lean a little more heavily toward Humanism, Christianity, Paganism, etc, UUism as a whole is welcoming and accepting of everyone.

I haven't gone to church recently, but sometimes think about it.  I talk to God occasionally, and am good with Jesus, and even identify as atheist at times, but like some, dislike "man's" interpretation through organized religion.  Most of my close friends are very religious, but are also very conservative, so I am not likely to go to their churches.  Fortunately, they accept me for who I am (only one knows about my asexuality though).  Everyone here has said really interesting things and I haven't ever spent this much time thinking about this, but am likely to spend more time thinking about religion now.  Sorry for the tangent...

To answer the original question, have been to United Methodist, Moravian, Catholic, Unitarian, Wesleyan, Baptist.  I really think it depends on the leader and the people in the church.  I really liked the last time I went to a Methodist church as there was a female pastor (at the time that felt progressive).  I also felt welcome in the Moravian and Unitarian churches as well, but it has been a really really long time since I was there.  I did in fact look up Unitarian churches in my area and found one, so I might check it out.  But I might connect out in nature, as is my usual way.

• 1 month later...
rainbowwahine

I attend a very warm and loving United Methodist Church. Emphasis there is on developing your relationship with Jesus Christ and living the Gospel -- pastor and many in congregation are very active in social justice work. I am out with some people. It is home and I am thankful for it.

I don't go to a church, in fact I told my fiance that if the wedding had to be in a church that was a deal breaker. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and I have tried numerous ones since then. With only one exception (which was more of a philosophy center) they all claimed to be loving and accepting but once attending the bigotry and hate started. I refuse to even darken the doors of one every again.

I go to a Nazarene church. It’s actually the exact church I spent most of my childhood in. We left there when I was around 11 or so. The church we moved to was where I was at when I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder... the response wasn’t great. I went back to BCN 2.5 years ago; and can’t imagine leaving again. It’s home.

Phantasmal Fingers

I'm In the countryside. And everywhere else when possible. :)

I used to go to the Catholic church and that was twenty years ago but the longer I am out of the church and the more I study I find things just don't add up and am at a stage now that I no longer consider myself a Christian in the normal sense. Jesus is just a Jewish sage and not the messiah he never died for our sins and is not the son of God.

Archived