Welcome to the upgraded AVEN!

Coleslaw

It seems like Source is still there? I have it on my screen, but I will make sure that all the editor options are available tonight.

Sage Raven Domino

The editor buttons visible to me are as follows (left to right): Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethrough, Remove Format, Link, Quote, Code, Spoiler, Emoticon, Insert/Remove Bulleted List, Insert/Remove Numbered List, Align Left, Center, Align Right, Text Color, Font Size.

Sorry for the absence of a screenshot - Imgur has been giving me error 403 on every image upload attempt for a few days... I guess, I need to change the image hosting.

Took me a bit to figure out that my login name is gone and I was supposed to type in my display name instead. Is that just the way things are now? 'Cause if it is and you said somewhere else not everybody gets on really often so it might be helpful to have that info in the OP.

But looking forward to exploring shiny new site!

Sage Raven Domino
Just now, Batman's Ace said:

I was supposed to type in my display name instead. Is that just the way things are now?

Yes, this is the way now.

Janus the Fox
22 hours ago, CBC said:

So is the "View New Content" feature gone, then? I used that literally every time I visited. It's the only way I really view the forums. I know there's the "Unread Content" thing... but that doesn't appear to be quite the same. Especially since once you click on a thread it (obviously) no longer appears in the search results since it's no longer unread. The new content button just showed you everything whether you'd read it or not. This is definitely going to make the new design and user experience much less pleasant for me.

Seems you can build your own Activity Streams, so it's more customizable to what you prefer to see in your forum pages.  Many of these can be created along with more fluid forum and user following.

Phantasmal Fingers

:cake: :cool:

Website doesn't work at all for me in Chrome, but seems fine in Firefox. Looks pretty :D

I'm on Chrome and it's working fine for me, but of course there could be plenty of other variables that make it not work for others.

I am grateful for all the work Coles and everyone is putting into this and for their listening to our comments, thoughts, suggestions, issues, etc. here! I am confident in the future of AVEN. :)

I'm using Chrome, and it works fine. o: Hmm. I hope you can get it to work, @MomentsWrath! (Ooooh we can refer to people!)

I feel so annoying for bringing up the avatars again (I'm sorry!), but a couple more questions/suggestions. : ) I've noticed a lot of people like the circle cropped ones, but a lot love/miss the usual square shape. Would there be a way to have an option to choose? Also, what size and/or resolution will the avatars end up being? I know the old AVEN had issues with the quality of the images. Things got shrunk and blurry.

Thank you so much for your patience and awesomeness!! :cake: :cake: :cake:

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it fits better here. Is there a way to make it so that when a notification pops up, and you click on it, the number on your notification icon at the top goes away (aka the notification is marked as read)? It's not a big deal, just would be nice.

This new site is a huge improvement. Thanks everyone! :biggrin: :cake:

6 hours ago, DiamondAce said:

The editor buttons visible to me are as follows (left to right): Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethrough, Remove Format, Link, Quote, Code, Spoiler, Emoticon, Insert/Remove Bulleted List, Insert/Remove Numbered List, Align Left, Center, Align Right, Text Color, Font Size.

Sorry for the absence of a screenshot - Imgur has been giving me error 403 on every image upload attempt for a few days... I guess, I need to change the image hosting.

Are you not seeing this?

6PWimL9.png

8 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Seems you can build your own Activity Streams, so it's more customizable to what you prefer to see in your forum pages.  Many of these can be created along with more fluid forum and user following.

Would anyone be so kind and share the settings for your own "new content" stream? Idk, I feel like I'm too stupid for this.

Thanks, Cole and Everyone who helped getting us here!

Love the new site! *The round avatars are awesome!*

A mere monkey

The forum actually works, so that's already pretty awesome. Kudos for that!

Changes are weird and scary to me (in general) but I'm glad to have a (mostly) functioning site again~

On 11/21/2016 at 11:07 PM, Plectrophenax said:

I must admit though, one thing I am not very fond of, and which is almost certainly an intentional decision that is here to stay, are avatars being displayed in circles. Is there a reason for why they aren't displayed in the format they are actually uploaded in? It irks me to think a square avatar is cut off for no real reason, but that may well just be me.

It isn't just you, and this irritated me too.  I don't know why skype or any other site that uses circle avatars does this when typical picture files are not actually saved as a circle.  I had to manually edit my own avatar to give it some more blue space just so that the circle wouldn't behead my poor rainbow-farting creature.

EDIT:

- The theme is not finalized; colours will change now that the server is stable and we have real data to work with. We will prioritize legibility issues first; avatars will go back to squares; the logo at the top is from the old forum and placeholder until the new one is optimized.

Actually fully read through the thread and saw this, so yay.

Masati Vornar
23 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

It should show up soon or so. AVEN hasn't finished with all the threads and posts and features and such, so it's still taking some time.

Maybe these threads got "unfollowed" because of the transfer and you need to actively click the follow button for each thread again. That's what happened to me.

Just now, Masati Vornar said:

Maybe these threads got "unfollowed" because of the transfer and you need to actively click the follow button for each thread again. That's what happened to me.

I didn't have to re-follow any thread. 

6 hours ago, mania said:

Would anyone be so kind and share the settings for your own "new content" stream? Idk, I feel like I'm too stupid for this.

New content or new threads? Many people seem to be misunderstanding that people mean newly updated threads or new posts. New threads is a completely different thing because new posts often shows old threads that have been replied to (especially from JFF or Arcade). Unfortunately, there is no option to see newly created threads. :(

Masati Vornar

Weird, mine were unfollowed. For now, no further issue's. Yet. :) That's it for my technical knowledge, though, I've run out off options. :D

@SkyWorld uuhhh... newly created content? Like, I'd like to see new posts in threads I've posted in (without having to follow them all), haven't posted in and new threads that currently do not have any replies yet.

6 minutes ago, mania said:

@SkyWorld uuhhh... newly created content? Like, I'd like to see new posts in threads I've posted in (without having to follow them all), haven't posted in and new threads that currently do not have any replies yet.

I think that would be the "Unread Content" button under Activity.

Anthracite_Impreza

So nice to have a site that works! :D Thanks to everyone who helped!

Jade Gryphion

Cole, is AVEN discontinuing the home and info pages?  When I do a google search at the moment, www.asexuality.org/home/ shows a 404 Not Found error every time.  If we are discontinuing the use, we may need to figure out how to get it off of the top search result so we don't create a barrier to entry for newcomers that may not continue to the next link...

Janus the Fox
7 hours ago, mania said:

https://invisionpower.com/news/9738-ips-community-suite-41-activity-streams-and-menu-manager/

This is a link to IPB Board Community Board 4.1, it also has a video tutorial on Activity Streams, for what I see, it's similar or quite the same as aven is.

Admod staff could make a simpler tutorial on it potentially.

Hm, I had the feeling it didn't show me everything, weird...

@Janus DarkFox That really helped, thank you!

I guess I'm just weirded out that you don't see your own posts anymore. Of course these topics were "read", so not marked bold, but now they're just gone. Needs some time to adjust to that :)

I've run into a few bugs due to HTTPS Everywhere, a Firefox addon I have to enforce HTTPS (secure connections) where possible.

If all connections for asexuality.org are forced to go over HTTPS, embedded content to elsewhere on the site does not work. I suspect that this involves an iframe being loaded over HTTP from a page which is being served over HTTPS, which causes the browser to freak out and block the connection (as it should). The browser console flags up a LOT of "mixed content" warnings, which mean it's blocking unsecure connections from a secure page.

Liking a post does not work either with this turned on for AVEN: Firefox then tries to visit "http://xn--=www-jqa/" when I click the button to like a post, which it can't load because there's no such site.

Sage Raven Domino
13 hours ago, incredimike said:

Are you not seeing this?

6PWimL9.png

I'm seeing all these buttons except the 'Source' one. The 'Bold' button is in the left corner.

Is there (going to be) a way to delete notifications? These could get out of hand very quickly...

Archived