Welcome to the upgraded AVEN!

Coleslaw

Luftschlosseule

After exploring a bit I like the new look apart from one thing: The postings seem to blurr into each other because the lines between don't have that much a contrast to the colour of the postings. It's confusing, and my eyesight is not that bad. I imagine that some people are going to have real problems with this. Is there the possibility to add some contrast by darkening the grey?

Definitely like being able to move on to the next thread in a forum without returning to the index screen 

banana monkey

has the chat in another window function been removed? it used to be by the sound and leave chatroom icons in chat but now its not there. Will we be getting it back. Its useful for being able to browse forums at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, banana monkey said:

has the chat in another window function been removed? it used to be by the sound and leave chatroom icons in chat but now its not there. Will we be getting it back. Its useful for being able to browse forums at the same time. 

I'm not too sure what you mean. I was able to have two tabs open: one of chat and the other the forums. Sometimes even more tabs open on other sites.

I think chat sounds are currently gone if that's what your referring to?  I'm not sure though, because I very rarely have the sound on my laptop on anyway.

banana monkey

there used to be a link that did it automatically for you on the top bar. so in the new chat room there is a black bar on the top of the page that says chat on the left (I think this used to be purple on the old site but im not sure) on the right there is the "toggle sound notifications" button and the "leave chatroom" button. There used to be a "open chat in seperate window" there on the right as well by the sound notifications but now the "open chat in seperate window" button is not there. :(

I'm stressed out adjusting to the mobile version of the forums (which is the only version I use), but I might be able to get used to the increased clutter and excess framing stuff.  >_<  Though it's extremely annoying that the post text is significantly smaller than the display name and avatar.  I read fast and like to quickly skim longer threads to find posts I want to read, but it's a lot harder to filter out the names and avatars since they're really in your face, which means I have to put more effort into searching for the content, and it takes longer.

The mobile chatroom, however, is horrid.  If there's only 2-3 people chatting at one time, it might be usable, but it won't be once there's a bunch of people in there.  The names of people talking take up too much space now, and less text shows up on the screen.  It'll be impossible to follow busy conversations.  Also, whenever I hide my keyboard, I now need to scroll up to see the whole chat window, which takes time away from being able to read quickly passing text.  In busy mobile chatrooms, that kind of time is critical.  

Mobile chat is what I mostly use, so I hope you'll figure out a way to make the chat take up the whole screen again (more text on the screen at one time), no scrolling required, and make the names less... dominating, I guess.

One glitch that I had was the "forum" button in the mobile menu didn't work.  It could just be my phone being dumb, but the "unread content" one worked fine.

EDIT:  Even though it isn't up and running yet with the older stuff, I like the functionality of the new search.

5 minutes ago, banana monkey said:

there used to be a link that did it automatically for you on the top bar. so in the new chat room there is a black bar on the top of the page that says chat on the left (I think this used to be purple on the old site but im not sure) on the right there is the "toggle sound notifications" button and the "leave chatroom" button. There used to be a "open chat in seperate window" there on the right as well by the sound notifications but now the "open chat in seperate window" button is not there. :(

Sorry. I didn't even know about that feature. I wish I did and had a chance to use it.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE AVATARS IN CHAT!!!

I'm bad with names, so I'm not going to remember people (especially since my friends list is gone).  And it's much harder to follow individual convos when there's multiple ones going on without the avatars.  >_<

Apostle of Carlin

My avatar is back in the forums - looks like the admins are getting things put back together.

The new site looks great, and it's been very responsive for me, now that it's been up for a bit.

Again, thanks for all the hard work!

Masati Vornar

Mobile version looks way better and works much faster than the other one. I love it. :D

So uh, when I look at "Content I Started" it says "There are no results to show in this activity stream yet" even though I've posted lots of things.  If I go to the individual forums my posts are still there, they just aren't showing in content I started.

3 minutes ago, Ellamerre said:

So uh, when I look at "Content I Started" it says "There are no results to show in this activity stream yet" even though I've posted lots of things.  If I go to the individual forums my posts are still there, they just aren't showing in content I started.

It should show up soon or so. AVEN hasn't finished with all the threads and posts and features and such, so it's still taking some time.

Thank you! This is amazing, good job everyone involved! 

1 hour ago, Ellamerre said:

I think these streams will only show content you started after the merger.  I don't know if all the older stuff will be transferred from the old site eventually or not, but for now at least that seems to be the case.

8 hours ago, Homer S. said:

I would looooove to have the "go to first unread post" button in threads back :)

9 hours ago, Plectrophenax said:

I must admit though, one thing I am not very fond of, and which is almost certainly an intentional decision that is here to stay, are avatars being displayed in circles. Is there a reason for why they aren't displayed in the format they are actually uploaded in? It irks me to think a square avatar is cut off for no real reason, but that may well just be me.

^ These two. I agree with them very much. *nods* I used the "go to first unread post" button all the time. And I'm unsettled by the circle avatars...many of you know how much I change my avatar. Making and changing them can be one of my OCD rituals, and now I'm finding that the majority of the ones I've made do not look nice in the circle. : ( Maybe there could be an option to have a circle or square? Or whatever shape the avatar is?

Thanks again for all the hard work!!!!!! : ))

Dodecahedron314

I love the new AVEN! Awesome job, everyone! *infinite :cake:*

tumblr_m9n9qcOn3u1rcjxzvo1_250.gif

(I will say that it appears as though I currently can't post status updates though, it just kind of...eats them?)

Yay, it's back!

*Starts launching fireworks*

Sage Raven Domino

I was looking forward very much to seeing AVEN be reborn into a purple sister of Arocalypse and the rebirth has finally happened :cake:

T1RDT6H.pngColes and all the donators who've made this happen!

P.S. Are JFF and Arcade posts included into the post count now? I don't remember myself having 1950+ posts, I thought I was at ~1700 when I left :huh:

Posts and PMs are still being converted; PMs will finish before tomorrow, but posts will take weeks to convert. They will likely populate your profile feeds, but it will take a really. Long. Time.

To understand the scale of the task, we've been running the conversions since immediately after the upgrade Sunday, and we're close to 600,000 posts being converted, which sounds like a lot until the report says "of 1,061,955,842 total posts". So we've got a ways to go on that front...

I am keeping track of feedback here, but I'll just note a few things generally:

- Many issues are slowly resolving on the server: profile pictures are completely uploaded (if yours does not work at this point, please re-upload); interface bugs around scripts and CSS are mostly resolved (there are some lingering issues with status updates and we're addressing); our database has been converted to InnoDB and is, finally, stable.
- The theme is not finalized; colours will change now that the server is stable and we have real data to work with. We will prioritize legibility issues first; avatars will go back to squares; the logo at the top is from the old forum and placeholder until the new one is optimized.
- We do not make the software, so many feature requests in this thread will not be possible. I understand that changes are not always welcome and that some features previously relied upon may be gone. Of all the missing features of this thread, I will be doing an audit, and where there is a new and similar feature, I'll help get some how-to info up on how to use it.

I'll be checking back in tonight after more backend work is completed for the Mod/Admin teams and will do my best to address individual messages this week.

I can't even begin to express how much I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this. THANK YOU.

15 hours ago, mania said:

Love the improvements, especially the mobile version! I'd just prefer it if the header was... not so obvious on mobile. I prefer not to out myself when I'm in public or at work.

Agreed! The header is nice, but peoples' heads seem to turn the moment they glance at my phone and see a word containing "sexual" in it (never mind "asexual", which might be uncomfortable in some situations for me too). That being said, maybe a simple header with the ace flag colours and / or the AVEN triangle would work better?

Sage Raven Domino

@Coleslaw Can we please have the 'Source' button (showing the source code of a post) enabled in the post editor? It's sometimes helpful when, say, I quote a post at the start of my reply and then change my mind and wish to insert some text above the quote.

On Arocalypse that also uses IPS Community Suite 4 and does have the 'Source' button, I can go into the source code, insert a letter above the HTML code for the quote and then go back into the GUI editor - it puts the letter above the quote and then I can expand that letter to whatever text I want.

Currently on AVEN, I see no way to insert text above the quote that starts a post, other than invoking the Lazarus extension installed on my Chrome and replacing the content of the post with some text-only form content previously saved in the Lazarus DB, and then requoting the needed earlier post after I'm finished with the text that I intended to insert before the quote. Alas, just refreshing the page instead doesn't help because form content is saved by the IPS software and I end up with the same quote above which I can't insert anything without summoning Lazarus.

Likewise, if I quote a post and then decide that I don't need that quote, I can delete the content of the quote but can't delete the quote tag itself without using Lazarus.

Or is there a trick to accomplish this that doesn't require third party software that I'm unaware of?

Also, accessing the source code may be useful for quoting part of a post into another thread with all the formatting retained (which would be done by simply quoting the post into its own thread, editing out the unnecessary part of the quote and copypasting the quote's source into the target post's source).

(Maybe there could be an avatar shape option? For those that like the circle shape can keep it? And maybe if they're back to squares...they could be squares with rounded edges? That would look nice and modern. Sorry, I don't know what possibilities exist for this. ♥)

Image result for yummy cake

YOU'RE THE BEST, COLE. <3 Seriously. I love you and the tech team!! Thank you all very much again for all this hard work! *huuuuuuugs*

I agree with the code thing, Diamond! I relied on that heavily not to screw things up while declassing. I miss all the fancy text editor buttons : ( But I understand that it's no one's fault and we couldn't really pick and choose what to keep on the forum update. Thank you for all of your hard work Cole and everyone <33 :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: 

Perissodactyla

Thank you SO much, Cole!

I am still hoping for a DONATE button or banner so people can continue to easily support AVEN's AWESOMENESS with their contributions. <3

tSGkBoQ.jpg

Sage Raven Domino
16 minutes ago, Starry Sky said:

we couldn't really pick and choose what to keep on the forum update.

As far as I understand, there are more GUI buttons available but whether to display them is the webmaster's choice - I remember @Blue Phoenix Ace enable the spoiler button very fast on Arocalypse. I understand the need to keep the GUI simple and thus hide some buttons, but the source one is hard to do without.

Archived