Welcome to the upgraded AVEN!

Coleslaw

scarletlatitude

Many cakes for all who are involved! You all are awesome/ <3

9 minutes ago, Coleslaw said:

As for friends/followers, that will have to be rebuilt manually. To explain why they disappeared:

"Friends" was a feature that had little impact on anything for the users (you could add friends and they could add you but that was about it for functionality), so it was scrapped in favour of "followers", which is a different, albeit similar, system that allows you add people you're interested in seeing content from and receive notifications for their posts. For example, you could follow someone like Cicero and receive an inline notification for every AVEN Digest post he creates.

Thank you, Cole! Yes, that makes sense. : ) You're all doing such an amazing job!!!! :cake: One more question: I'm unable to see people's About Me sections in their profiles, only their activity. Is there a way to change that? I have information in my About Me regarding modly stuff that may be helpful for members to see, but if they can't view the About Me, then it's not useful lol. Or perhaps have an option to show the About Me and not activity or vice-versa? (Sorry if this is too much right now!)

Edit: Nevermind, I can see them. I guess I was just viewing members who didn't have an About Me section! Is there any way to have that front and center instead of activity, though? Thank you again sooooooooo much!!

3 minutes ago, kelico said:

Thank you, Cole! Yes, that makes sense. : ) You're all doing such an amazing job!!!! :cake: One more question: I'm unable to see people's About Me sections in their profiles, only their activity. Is there a way to change that? I have information in my About Me regarding modly stuff that may be helpful for members to see, but if they can't view the About Me, then it's not useful lol. Or perhaps have an option to show the About Me and not activity or vice-versa? (Sorry if this is too much right now!)

We'll be focusing on stability and finalization of the architecture, then I have a bunch of Admin-level permissions to sort through as many features have been removed from the ACP/MCP and need a cleanup. After we've got all that in order, I will be making edits to our theme to bring content like About Us back into focus. It is low priority but not off the radar!

Thank you a billion times over. I swear, you guys are the best! Continued well wishes & success in this! I don't know what we'd do without you. : ))

Related image

Congrats, you guys! This looks awesome and the mobile version is sooooo much better, too!

WhenSummersGone

Yay :) I'll have to get used to this new mobile view but it looks good!

I'm just looking at the mobile version now. Ah it's so epic! What an improvement! :biggrin: It's so crisp. <3

I was having issues posting from my Chrome browser on a tablet. When I clicked in the text box it wouldn't switch to typing mode, so I couldn't type anything. I had to refresh the thread I was in, often several times to be able to type anything in. Do you know if that is an issue with the forum, or is it an issue with my tablet/browser? I had no problems with the Chrome browser on my phone, and they're both running the same Android OS. It might be my device, but I just wanted to throw this out there in case other users were having the same issue. I mostly use my desktop and phone anyway. :)

WhenSummersGone

I'm so happy this site is working fast again! I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but I notice on mobile it doesn't jump to the last post read.

Thanks and :cake: to all of the team who brought this update to fruition! Of course a new format always takes some getting used to and learning. I hope people won't be offended if I don't "follow" them. Seems like that could lead to a ton of notifications from some of the more prolific people I enjoy here. :biggrin:

Just curious, but what is the purpose of the "Insert existing attachment" option?

Frickin' AWESOME!!! You guys are the BEST! Thank you for alk of your hard work! And thanks to everyone who helped make this happen!

I'm having similar feelings about the new content feature, CBC. I hope there's a better way of doing that in this new forum format. :)

You can tinker with the Activity tab features to create your own custom feed then save it as your default. That's what the "New Posts" link at the top and bottom will send you to once you've done so (or at least I think that's how I got it to work that way...I probably should've taken notes).

8 minutes ago, Snow Cone said:

You can tinker with the Activity tab features to create your own custom feed then save it as your default. That's what the "New Posts" link at the top and bottom will send you to once you've done so (or at least I think that's how I got it to work that way...I probably should've taken notes).

I just checked this out and it looks pretty cool! Hard to tell if it's working at the moment, considering AVEN still thinks I haven't commented in any threads, but it seems a lot more customizeable than before.

It appears to only go by threads you've posted in since the upgrade. I'm spamming a bunch of regular JFF threads right now for this reason... :ph34r:

UncommonNonsense

Ooooo, everything's all shiny and tingly.  Great job, Cole & co.!  Seriously... I'm decent with computers and internet stuff, but I'd have no flipping clue how to pull off a changeover of such magnitude.  All I've got to raise a toast with is a take-out cup of lukewarm Tim Hortons coffee, but here goes anyway!  **Raises a toast to Cole and the server migration team!**

It still looks a lil confusing to me, but I'll deal! I'm missing the "content I posted in" option being available but I'll just wait that one out. 
Also, there not being any pages for the new content/unread content and there just being a "load more" button rather than the ability to just go from one page to the last page you missed? Not sure how I like that.

Right now I'm just glad the forum's back up!

1 hour ago, Snow Cone said:

It appears to only go by threads you've posted in since the upgrade. I'm spamming a bunch of regular JFF threads right now for this reason... :ph34r:

Come to think of it, this might actually be a good thing. There were a few threads I posted in before the update that I didn't want to see in my subscriptions anymore, but I couldn't unsubscribe from. =D

9 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

Come to think of it, this might actually be a good thing. There were a few threads I posted in before the update that I didn't want to see in my subscriptions anymore, but I couldn't unsubscribe from. =D

I was thinking the same thing actually :)

You know what would be really cool? If you could hide certain threads altogether. Kind of like an ignore button, but for threads. o:

This is the best thing to happen for the U.S.'s Thanksgiving. Thank you so much!

I know that things are still being restored and I understand the top priority is to fix the MCP and ACP, but I just wanted to get my idea out there before I forget.

I noticed that we can create a new stream for content. I wonder if since we can't see recent topics anymore, would we have the option to create that as customized. New topics arent't the same as new posts since new posts can happen in old topics, when I'd rather strictly see new topics. That would be a plus because I did mention about a year or two ago that it would be nice to see more than just 5 new topics and have the option to drop down and see more new topics.

11 hours ago, Coleslaw said:

We're temporarily up while we continue to explore the database optimizations we can make to ensure a fast experience. Hoping this is it!

Temporarily up does it just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   wow, you  can log  in and get in and stay in and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  

Love the improvements, especially the mobile version! I'd just prefer it if the header was... not so obvious on mobile. I prefer not to out myself when I'm in public or at work. 

The only thing that doesn't work 100% for me is that some avatars still fail loading.

Plectrophenax

Goodness me.

Well, first off, well done to all of you for your efforts. I'm glad to see so many people are enjoying this. As someone who doesn't use a mobile device and has been using 'traditional' forums since forever, this layout is extremely unfamiliar to me. It's still a bit early to judge, but I have a feeling I'll be struggling for way longer than I probably should. Still early days, so I get a feeling most of my immediate complaints are not actually a result of modern aesthetic tastes deviating from mine, but merely a result of the transition process (like there being no space after the colon under poster's avatar and post count) :happy:

I must admit though, one thing I am not very fond of, and which is almost certainly an intentional decision that is here to stay, are avatars being displayed in circles. Is there a reason for why they aren't displayed in the format they are actually uploaded in? It irks me to think a square avatar is cut off for no real reason, but that may well just be me.

6 hours ago, Raina. said:

It still looks a lil confusing to me, but I'll deal! I'm missing the "content I posted in" option being available but I'll just wait that one out. 
Also, there not being any pages for the new content/unread content and there just being a "load more" button rather than the ability to just go from one page to the last page you missed? Not sure how I like that.

Right now I'm just glad the forum's back up!

I wanted to ask this as well. Currently, I can access all unread posts and all of my own, but what I would like to be able to do is see a list of all the threads in which I posted (i.e. not just a display of my posts, and not just a dislplay of the threads with unread comments).

Is that feature gone or will it eventually make its way? Or did I, which is entirely possible, just completely overlook it?

Autumn Season

Thank you for all the hard work!

Some new things I already enjoy are: Being able to directly quote marked parts of a post. Only seeing the people who liked a post when logged in.

I would looooove to have the "go to first unread post" button in threads back :)

Archived