AVEN and mental health (poll)

AVEN #1 fan

AVEN on health issues?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. do you suffer from any issues below?

• depression
    • anxiety
    • bipolar disorder
    • PTSD
    • multiple personalities
    • traumas
    • gender dysphoria
    • anorexia
    • compulsive eating
    • bulimia
    • dermatilomania
    • tricchotilomania
    • autism
    • attention deficit
    • other
    • schizophrenia
    • OCD
    • perfectionism
    • compulsive hoarding
  2. 2. are you?

• trans
    • genderqueer
    • homo/bi/pan/poly/etc
    • ace
    • aro
    • polygamous
    • intersex
    • none of the above
    • gray-ace/demi/recip/etc
    • gray-aro/demi/recip/etc
    • alterous
    • gray-alterous/demi/recip/etc
  3. 3. how bad is your pain? (In a scale of 1 to 10)

This poll is closed to new votes

I've figured out that many users suffers from mental issues, including me myself, I wonder why it's so common among MOGAI orientations and genders , is it our fault? How to deal with it? How it affect your lives? :(

A possible moderating variable are traumatic experiences. Correlations in both directions are plausible.

Music & Lyrics

'Is it our fault?' How can a mental health problem be the sufferer's fault? That doesn't make sense to me!

I've been having therapy to cope with depression for one year, and my asexuality has come up in many sessions. The way that throughout adolescence, I was increasingly bored and confused by many social situations that my peers favoured...the way that erasure means I didn't understand myself and thought I was weird and broken...the messages us women receive that our worth is in our sexuality, meaning that my apparently only asset was a mystery to me...it has played an important role!

It's not the fact of being asexual that's a problem - it's the way our society deals with it!

Is there a way to redo? I said I had ADHD instead of Autism.

â€
​Also schizophrenia should be included since it's a pretty common mental illness. About as common as bipolar disorder and OCD should be included too since lot's of people suffer from it.
â€
​I put that I have autism, bipolar disorder and anxiety and that I'm currently feeling 1 pain since I have no illnesses right now. I am panromantic grey asexual.
â€
​Polyamory is cosidered more sensitive a term than polygamy.

I think that more intelligent people suffer from depression and anxiety at a higher rate. We think deeper and can see the horrors of our lives more than less intelligent people. I also think intelligent people also have the ability to self-reflect and figure out what makes us so different.

That, or those more intelligent and suffering from mental illness are more prone to make pretentious posts on message boards. :)

cavalier080854

You have aces and grays but no demis. :ph34r:No mention of suicidal thoughts (the elephant in the room) or loneliness. :(

Anthracite_Impreza

I've figured out that many users suffers from mental issues, including me myself, I wonder why it's so common among MOGAI orientations and genders , is it our fault? How to deal with it? How it affect your lives? :(

Minority stress is a thing, just being a member of a minority group in society increases the risk of mental (and physical) illness.

didnt vote cos there no "none of the above" option but im an objectophile and i dunno if that is a mental disorder or not... :huh:

Of course it's not! :(

people seem to class it as a paraphilia cos they dont understand it and cant imagine how you can be attracted to objects. i suppose only people who are attracted to objects can understand it cos... well cos it happens to us -_-

Anthracite_Impreza

people seem to class it as a paraphilia cos they dont understand it and cant imagine how you can be attracted to objects. i suppose only people who are attracted to objects can understand it cos... well cos it happens to us -_-

Even paraphilias aren't mental illnesses, they're only classed that way for a similar reason to why homosexuality used to be.

The thing is, mental illness/learning disorders are common in many people. It's not just common in only LGBT members. Doubtless, there's going to be some overlap between the two sets, but that should not indicate that either is a direct cause for the other. There are many factors to take into consideration.

didnt vote cos there no "none of the above" option but im an objectophile and i dunno if that is a mental disorder or not... :huh:

I decided not to add fetishes.

You have aces and grays but no demis. :ph34r:No mention of suicidal thoughts (the elephant in the room) or loneliness. :(

vote for gray-a, it's the same thing.

Well. Quite a few of these :'S But oh, I'm super happy I'm not the only one with trichotillomania!! Totally didn't notice the ace option until now :ph34r:

Well. Quite a few of these :'S But oh, I'm super happy I'm not the only one with trichotillomania!! Totally didn't notice the ace option until now :ph34r:

Omg I have it too. Dx we're not alone.

What hell is "homoafetive"?

Slang for homoromantic-sexual relationships. ;)

sir octepus tea

well partially because people who deviate from the norm get shit, and society as a whole showing how your orientation/gender isn't "acceptable" or invalidating it, bullying etc can and does leave people with mental issues. it's wayyyy more complicated but I'm not feeling very articulate right now. of course there is always mogai ppl who have mental issues not necessarily because they're mogai but because it can happen to literally anyone anywhere, so it's not our fault.

I can't answer on how to deal with it because I don't think I qualify (possibly straddling this thin line between mentallly healthy and ill or maybe I'm just whiny)

NerotheReaper

It is not our fault, it is never our fault. We don't choose to have a war within ourselves. I think I speak for all of us (most), we wish we didn't have to deal with mental illnesses, that we would wish it away.

I would expect anymental health condition to be more prevalent amongst those who don't identify as cis-gendered heterosexual. Simply because that is the default position in society, so everyone else has to come to understand that they are tertiary in a binary world.

Also, because of the stigma associated with mental illness people may well be more reluctant to talk about issues IRL than on an Internet forum

People can have issues even if they are cis and hetero.. it's not like you are automatically more vulnerable. If you are gay you are gay and not a special case. If you are gay and got ptsd from i.e war you are gay aND got a ptsd, but it is very far fetched to claim you got it since you are gay or wouldnt got it if you are hetero.

Now I am not heterosexual. And I do not have a mental issue. Why not? Because thats how I am, and my sexuality didn't define that. Now the truth is that people who tend to hang out on internet forums tend to have more issues. And thus is a site doninated by asexuals and lgbt, so you see two seperate issues and draw wrong conclusions. If you had a internet forum with cis people who were heterosexual they too would have a greater amount of introverts and mentally ill (or what the correct teem is) persons. Now would the correct Conclusion be that heteros have a greater chance of being mentally ill because of observations on a forum?

Also that kind of thinking help no one (beside self pity and feeling of self importance) as it detrack us from finding solutions to mental health issues and preventing them and it paint a picture that non heteros are not mentally healthy, and that again reinforce stereotypes and prejudices against lgbt people. For example here society with sexologists at the Spear believe asexuality is a mental issue or a counter-culture to a sexualised society. One of the arguments is in fact the "link" between asexuality and mental health.

So at least include people who are not having issues as it hage a better picture. And please be a little more nuanced than "lgbt=mental issue and cis-heteto=no issues".

People can have issues even if they are cis and hetero.. it's not like you are automatically more vulnerable.

No one's saying that cis and het people can't have mental health issues... But there are loads of studies to suggest LGBT people are at a higher risk of mental health issues. Yes, compared to cis and het people, they're more vulnerable.

Anthracite_Impreza

As Simowl said, minority stress is definitely a real thing and it doesn't detract from problems faced by cishet people.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=minority+stress&rlz=1C1QJDB_enGB712GB712&oq=minority+str&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5754j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have both an anxiety disorder and depression, though both are treated, so the effect current;y aren't too bad.

My personal theory is that the rates of mental illness are the same, or at least similar in hetero-cis people as in queer people. However, both sexuality and mental illness can be really taboo things to talk about, and those who are used to being open about their orientation are also more likely to being about their mental illness situation as well. I'm personally not super open about either expect on the internet, and if you met me in real life you probably would be able to tell.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

I was told to shut up and put up, so that's what I've been doing.

who told you that? :(

GAD, PTSD, Anorexia Nervosa, clinical depression, and chronic insomnia. Do I get a cookie now?

I get sad and nervous and then I eat loads and loads of stuff or pull a load of hair out.

Most of the time, I feel pretty numb...but I occasionally get a bit of variety in the form of feelings of absolute despair. :mellow:

I get sad and nervous and then I eat loads and loads of stuff or pull a load of hair out.

Most of the time, I feel pretty numb...but I occasionally get a bit of variety in the form of feelings of absolute despair. :mellow:

Well, you are not alone, I shamelessly pull my hair out and bite my nails. :)

Archived