The AVEN Media and Speaker team

michaeld

Did you know that AVEN has a media and speaker team? I thought AAW would be a good time to advertise it more widely.

To join the team, please fill out the form at

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EDRGlsKfOb_FhEpxKzDAmnT6KKFSdXePzKSLgoGas00/viewform

Anyone at all on the ace spectrum is encouraged to join. You don't have to photo - there's an option for that. You don't necessarily have to use your full name. These are important for some media requests but by no means all. One group that is highly sought after for media coverage are asexuals in relationships, but obviously we need people who are single as well!

The regional aspect is probably the most important. Often media requests specifically ask for someone from a certain country - and sometimes even state. (And if it's a speaker request, the location is obviously even more important!) Just recently I've been having difficulty fulfilling requests like these, partly because many of the signed up members of the media team are inactive, having joined many years ago. We need fresh blood!

I should point out that joining the media and speaker team involves absolutely no commitment. Typically I'll send round a media request to the relevant people on the list and they can decide whether to take part.
One thing I planned was to offer training and resources on how to answer the media - not that I'm any kind of expert myself, but as I've interviewed for a good number of media, I do have some tips and suggestions. If anyone would like to offer help in putting these resources together please let me know! I'm also very happy to help in individual cases, e.g. if you would like to take part in a media request but don't know how to approach it or what to expect. I'll do what I can to prepare you for it if you contact me in private.
So yeah, please sign up if you're interested! :cake:

Awkward question, am I already a part of it? Eitherway hope as many join and best of luck :)

Yep you're there! Too bad we don't get that many requests from Norway - though they do happen occasionally... (I did an interview in Aftenposten, once a long time ago.)

Archived