Ace Community Census 2016

michaeld

It’s that time of year again - we are now recruiting participants for the ace community census!

The ace community census is an annual survey by the Asexual Visibility and Education Network, which collects valuable information on the demographics and experiences of members of the ace community. It is the largest survey of ace communities and creates a valuable pool of data for future ace community activists and researchers.

The survey is open to anyone: ace, non-ace, or still questioning, as long as you are over the age of 13 we want to hear from you! We want to get a wide variety of responses from as many parts of the community as possible, so we encourage you to share this link with any other ace individuals you know or any ace communities you participate in.

You will be able to view any published results from the survey at asexualcensus.wordpress.com.

For answers to common questions about the survey, please see the FAQ here.

Awesome! This is my first time being here during the census. :D

The survey team have been working hard at analysing last year's (I have not been involved but I've seen it) and I believe they are not that far away from releasing 2015. But it's a big task, so I definitely encourage anyone who wants to help with the analysis to volunteer for the survey team.

Done!

I just had one question I wasn't sure how to answer, towards the beginning. It asked whether we had identified as sthg else before identifing as ace, but it only gave identities from the ace spectrum, so I said no, but before knowing that asexuality existed I vaguely identified as bisexual, since I was equally interested by males and females (that is, not at all :lol: ) (I didn't know about NB genders back then). Anyway, no option to say that so I guess they just wanted to know whether we identified as another identity from the same spectrum before?

The survey team have been working hard at analysing last year's (I have not been involved but I've seen it) and I believe they are not that far away from releasing 2015. But it's a big task, so I definitely encourage anyone who wants to help with the analysis to volunteer for the survey team.

How/where would one go about going this?

Send an email to the address given in the front page of the survey! (Or PM me, and I'll connect you.)

Done!

I just had one question I wasn't sure how to answer, towards the beginning. It asked whether we had identified as sthg else before identifing as ace, but it only gave identities from the ace spectrum, so I said no, but before knowing that asexuality existed I vaguely identified as bisexual, since I was equally interested by males and females (that is, not at all :lol: ) (I didn't know about NB genders back then). Anyway, no option to say that so I guess they just wanted to know whether we identified as another identity from the same spectrum before?

[survey Team member here, although my answers do not necessarily reflect the views of the whole team.]

Yes, correct. The question is only asking whether you've identified on a different part of the ace spectrum before, or if you used to identify on the spectrum but don't anymore. We had a question last year regarding non-ace identities that ace people used before identifying as ace, but we didn't repeat the question this year because we don't expect there to be significant change year to year. Thanks for pointing out the potential ambiguity in the question, we will take note of the issue.

submitted this

Phantasmal Fingers

Done! So I suppose my :wacko:ness is bound to skew the results! :o ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Sage Raven Domino

It looks as though the survey is still running, at least, I've been allowed to fill it out and done it :cake:

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, icantchangewhoiam said:

Can it be anonymous or do we have to give our real names?

The census is now closed, so you can't take part any more.

But as a general answer: the community census is 100% anonymous. I would strongly recommend never to take part in a study where your anonymity is not guaranteed. This is one of the reasons why every researcher looking for participants on AVEN needs our approval.

All the little Lights

Where and when can we read the read about the results?

"Where" is the easy bit of your question - it will probably be on the census blog, and I suppose there will also be an announcement here.

Now for the difficult part - "when". The survey group is still working on the 2015 census, which I hope we will see some time within the next few months. Let's talk about the 2016 results when the 2015 report is out.

Archived