Sexual orientation survey includes asexuality

cavalier080854

The trouble with the first question is it is very specific are you Lesbian, Gay, Bi or Trans. No other options are included such as Intersex or Queer. Question 2 is a much wider topic. All of us here at AVEN are asexual, but as my experience has shown me that we are definitely not part of the LGBT community, however enlighten they are about us Aces, we will never be include by them. I know this may upset some, but we are just allies. Things have never changed for the 31 years I've been round the LGBT scene. My gay friend has tried advocating for us but failed utterly and left 15 years ago, fed up with the drama, which from what he has said we are well enough without that. As Aces we are only to be included if we exhibit LGBT tendencies, not Asexuality.

If I had answered that poll I would have said No to Q1, and Asexual to Q2

But that said, it is a very interesting and informative census.

I don't agree with you, there are some LGBTQ groups in Poland who also accept aces. Asexuality has been discussed on two events connected to the biggest pride parades in Poland - in Krakow and Warsaw. Asexuality is much more often noticed by LGBT groups. I just write from Polish perspective. I'm not sure how does it look like in other countries.

I'm very happy to see this survey. not ace-targeted, but ace-accepting for sure.

it's worth noting how the sexual orientation amongst young folks is more diverse. I wonder how much of this is due to cultural changes towards acceptance, and how much is due to the inevitable time it takes to "find oneself"

The trouble with the first question is it is very specific are you Lesbian, Gay, Bi or Trans. No other options are included such as Intersex or Queer. Question 2 is a much wider topic. All of us here at AVEN are asexual, but as my experience has shown me that we are definitely not part of the LGBT community, however enlighten they are about us Aces, we will never be include by them. I know this may upset some, but we are just allies. Things have never changed for the 31 years I've been round the LGBT scene. My gay friend has tried advocating for us but failed utterly and left 15 years ago, fed up with the drama, which from what he has said we are well enough without that. As Aces we are only to be included if we exhibit LGBT tendencies, not Asexuality.

That may be the case in your city, but that's not the case elsewhere. Also, I think it's really, really weird that as soon as someone hears "asexual" they think cisgender, heteroromantic, asexual and then you aren't Not-Straight enough to be LGBT+.

it's worth noting how the sexual orientation amongst young folks is more diverse.

I believe the internet is the reason why we have such a large vernacular in regardless to identity.

The study asked "Do you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?" which clearly refers the the orientation (+trans) itself not mainly to the question if someone is part of the LGBT community. Still the range in Spain is 14% for 14-29 year olds down to 1,8 % for 50+ and even 0% for 50+ in Hungary (and only 4,2 % for age 14-29 there).

Those differences are simply impossible. So either the participants voted according to the social norms of their peers or they didn't understand the question. At any rate the result can't represent the true distribution.

The 1.1 to 2.0 % overall for asexuality as well as 6% overall for LGBT seems reasonable tough.

Phantasmal Fingers

I've lived in Spain, The Netherlands, Poland, The Czech Rep and Hungary. I can't help noticing that the countries with what I perceive to be the most liberal cultures and the least tolerance of expressions of negativity concerning LGBT people, i.e. Spain and the Netherlands, exhibit much higher figures for people who identify this way. I'm not surprised that the figure for Poland is lower or that Hungary has the lowest figure of all.

Assuming that one would expect the percentage of the population who perceive themselves as LGBT to be broadly similar for each country (other things being equal - which of course they aren't) what this survey seems to show is the extent to which LGBT people internalise negative stereotypes about being LGBT in an attempt to convince themselves - and pollsters - that they fit the norm.

I would therefore expect that if a survey were undertaken in the same countries concerning suicide rates, suicidal feelings and depression, Hungary would come out 'top' and Spain and The Netherlands 'bottom'.

That may be the case in your city, but that's not the case elsewhere. Also, I think it's really, really weird that as soon as someone hears "asexual" they think cisgender, heteroromantic, asexual and then you aren't Not-Straight enough to be LGBT+.

And with zero evidence to support that. Going from what I see, different LGBTQ+ places all over have different opinions on asexual inclusion, and even at a individual level, it's clear that there's different opinions and no clear consensus. That means some asexuals are included, and some are not. Case-by-case scenario. The person you responded to and I am clearly am not part of the LGBTQ+ community, but you are to say for the least.

It's certainly about identification processes but the explanation that the effect depends on whether the country is liberal or not doesn't hold true (except for Hungary). I rather believe the figure depends more on the amount of identification with "LGBT-Communites" in the countries and is only loosely connected to the real orientation. So that means there are a lot of cis-heterosexuals who will identify as LGBT because of the community aspect or their disliking of the way heterosexuality is represented (e.g. "heteronormativity") and on the other hand people who dislike "the community" might not vote for being LGBT although they are.

Poland has 10,5% in the young population which is above average.

In Spain there is a range from 14% down to 1,8% from young to old. 14% seems far to high 1,8% far to low. In Austria the effect is reversed 9,2% for 50+ but only 7,8% for 14-29.

Sorry you've encountered this attitude, but it's certainly not the case everywhere in the UK.

Archived