Asexual Awareness Week 2016

kitchenwitch

Hi everyone,
If you don't know me I won't be surprised. My name is Sara Beth Brooks and I'm the founder of Asexual Awareness Week. For the past several years I've been battling both severe health issues and a devastating college schedule, and I have been on the sidelines. Earlier this year I finished school and also got some pretty positive health related news that has really helped me to take back some of my life. One of those things is my commitment to asexual education and awareness. I have to start small because my health is still roughly terribad, but I also want to start somewhere.
To that end, three AAW related announcements:
1. This year, AAW will have a small amount of things available, most notably our social media packet. We will have Themed Days this year, where we hope to generate and concentrate content about a certain facet of our community. Here are the themed days:
Sunday 10/23: Coming Out
Monday 10/24: Media Representations
Tuesday 10/25: Demi & Gray Communities
Wednesday 10/26: Aromantic Communities
Thursday 10/27: #LGBTQIA
Friday 10/28: Asexual Health Issues
Saturday 10/29: Asexual Community
Feel free to share the themed days widely, and to disseminate the social media kit among other ace groups and circles that you move through. I'm disseminating it to my LGBTQIA contacts including the National LGBTQ Task Force, the Trevor Project, and BiNet USA, all of whom will be showing their support via social media during AAW.
2. We're trying to rebuild our leadership, which I was unable to maintain while I was sick and in school. I'm really happy that my longtime friend, queer activist, and demisexual James Hoscyns has agreed to take a strong leadership position moving forward and will certainly be more visible to y'all in the coming months. He has a decade of political experience spanning back to the marriage equality movement in California and I am really hopeful that he can take on some of the heavier projects I have not been able to lift yet.
3. I know the website is a total catastrophe and I'm trying to fix it. Thanks to everyone who calmly but urgently pointed out to me that it has been incorrect and broken over the years. It needs a serious revision that can't happen before October 23, but is definitely at or near the top of my list as I'm working to rebuild the back end.
Thanks to everyone for their support over the years. There have been a lot of times that I have been inspired, touched, and uplifted by those who keep celebrating AAW even when I couldn't organize. Thank you, thank you, thank you, a thousand times over. You are amazing.
- Sara Beth

Thanks so much Sara! I'm so glad to see your health is on the up and am looking forward to AAW. :) We have a few plans of our own... more soon!

Archived