"Everyone wants sex, even nuns"

Shortass Lady

Shortass Lady

I was watching television with two of my flatmates the other day and, surprise surprise, the topic of sex came up in the conversation. The conversation included this exchange between the two of them: (approximately, I can't remember the exact words but it was roughly this):

Girl X: Do you think there is anyone who doesn't want sex?

Girl Y: No, everyone wants sex, even nuns must.

Girl X: Do you?

Girl Y: Yes, everyone does.

Girl X (to me): Do you?

Me: *silence*

...I would have introduced them to the concept of asexuals, but I didn't want to disrupt the television programme any more! It just shows though how inconceivable it is to some people the idea of a person who doesn't care about having sex. Wonders will never cease! Next time I will take the opportunity to explain a few things to them! :roll:

You should print out cards about asexuality, that way you can just hand it to people when they say silly things and not have to interrupt anything, or you could go to the top of a tall building and rain them down among the masses.

Ha ha. Nuns may have a sex drive, but they don't want sex. Honestly. People have this ability to consciously choose and weigh options. They've weighed the options, and they don't want to have sex--they swore not to.

There was a Law & Order: SVU that brought up this stuff the other day, the idea of sex as a "need." My baby, BD Wong, pointed out that sex wasn't a need the way that breathing was--people could make a choice and exert control over their biological drives. *sighs* Ah, BD Wong...I should have known he was gay from the start. If I'm drawn to a guy, he must be gay.

Yep Nuns have sex drives, they may get sexually attracted to people but becuase of their vows they don't want sex. But if they didn't have sexual feelings there would be nothing for them to overcome as it were.

I think that makes sense.

I was once told I could bea nun. I could never do the religious thing though.

One friend of mine likened my lifestyle to that of a monk... if only I could find a suitable order that I could join, just so I could claim membership therein. Not too many opportunities for atheist monks, though. :lol:

One friend of mine likened my lifestyle to that of a monk... if only I could find a suitable order that I could join, just so I could claim membership therein. Not too many opportunities for atheist monks, though. :lol:

You could be buddhist....

Interesting idea... and there are, believe it or not, TWO Buddhist monasteries in the city. But then I'd probably have to quit my day job.

I know there are online churches in which I can be instantly ordained as a minister just by filling out the form... but that's not quite the same thing. :D

Ha ha. Nuns may have a sex drive, but they don't want sex.

Maybe they don't want to want to have sex.... I really doubt all nuns are asexual.

Actually, most nuns probably aren't asexual, since the whole point of being celibate for them is to reject desire. If they were asexual there'd be nothing to reject.

Actually, most nuns probably aren't asexual, since the whole point of being celibate for them is to reject desire. If they were asexual there'd be nothing to reject.

On the other hand, being asexual makes that choice a lot easier, so maybe.

Silly Green Monkey

Some asexuals reported trying to join orders, but were turned down after their sexuality was discovered.

Some asexuals reported trying to join orders, but were turned down after their sexuality was discovered.

Seriously?

How can someone prove that someone else is asexual?
Silly Green Monkey

They ask. I don't remember who it was or even if it was just an example, but the asexual was turned down because their asexuality meant that they weren't sacrificing much and therefore their commitment was in doubt.

I've had conversations like that often. Had to include the address to this site in a story once just to convince people in a writing class that the main character was asexual. Apparently to the sexual world, not wanting sex is like not wanting food.

I wouldn't be too hard on them, if I decided to bring asexuality up with them. You've got to remember, just as an asexual can't comprehend the feeling of sex being something they're driven to or want, they can't comprehend it not being something that they don't have any desire for.

They ask. I don't remember who it was or even if it was just an example, but the asexual was turned down because their asexuality meant that they weren't sacrificing much and therefore their commitment was in doubt.

Yes because for religious orders the key is giving up the sex. The rest is almost secondary.

Hallucigenia

Some religious orders have (or used to have - I'm not very caught up on what nuns do these days) vows of poverty, service, or even silence - surely some of these would count as giving things up, as well.

Archived