Why do you not believe in god(s)?

Ortac

4 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I was forced into christianity when I was younger and left it after looking at a Poetic Eddas a friend let me read and looking into science and then became Heathen when I was 9. I followed the greek Gods and then about 5 years ago went into Norse Heathenry and still go by science. I never saw "truth" in christianity and never felt "peace" as many claim they feel.I was terrified in christianity and so I was never happy and I'm glad I left it at the age I did.

My journey is different- I was Christian for most of my life from when I was younger all the way until I was 22. For a while, I was one of those selfish, obsessed with politics, almost to the point of Fundamental, Christian. :( I consider it a time in my life where I wasn't really thinking for myself and just going by what my environment around me wanted. I went to a private Catholic High School; I was part of a Christian group in the one year of college I took. TL:DR- I grew more and more conservative until it finally reached a tipping point during some really terrible years for me. I finally took my own doubts seriously and was an atheist for a few years until learning what Neo-Paganism is about. 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
12 minutes ago, Toothlesss said:

My journey is different- I was Christian for most of my life from when I was younger all the way until I was 22. For a while, I was one of those selfish, obsessed with politics, almost to the point of Fundamental, Christian. :( I consider it a time in my life where I wasn't really thinking for myself and just going by what my environment around me wanted. I went to a private Catholic High School; I was part of a Christian group in the one year of college I took. TL:DR- I grew more and more conservative until it finally reached a tipping point during some really terrible years for me. I finally took my own doubts seriously and was an atheist for a few years until learning what Neo-Paganism is about. 

I never saw the good in christianity when I was younger, I just knew it would lead me down the darker road if I stayed. I was already not happy with it.  I did try going back but it lead me right back to the dark memories and so I will never look back. I have some heathen/Pagan friends I met last December not knowing there were any near me let alone the same town. I love them all beyond measure. 

Why would there be a god?

In every other element in nature, we can learn why a think would have come to be. But I see no reason for there to be a god, it doesn't make sense.

If you look at the history of all cultures, starting in Mesopotamia, every culture has gods that become less and less powerful and more behind the scenes. Why wouldn't the same god be there from the start? Why would this god be getting less powerful except for the fact that humans might explain natural phenomenon's through whatever seemed to make sense at the time? In Mesopotamia, gods controlled earthquakes, rain, and killed people with disease at will. Now, we say god just takes a back seat and works in "mysterious ways." Sounds like we're just learning more to me.

Archived